Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

I didn't (I guess I never do) rate it as high, but it's definitely worth a watch. I really liked Pleasence's inspector though, who had several chuckle-worthy lines of dialogue about the hippies and students

Train to Busan 2: Peninsula (2020)

I'm not a huge fan of the first movie either, but at least it's solid and somewhat tense zombie-horror. The sequel is more like a poorly written heist film with zombies and post-apocalyptic settings. Also, practically everything is CGI here: even the car chases look like B-grade computer games without proper physics. The only horrible thing here is the lack of quality.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Antebellum

Antebellum is Get Out meets The Village with emphasis on the Shyamalan type story structure. There is a decent idea buried under what is essentially a first draft script. The story falls apart when you apply logic and the sacrifices the film makes to get the mystery aspect from and centre is too great to ignore.

I wouldn't classify this as horror, more mystery thriller with dramatic elements, those expecting a scare will be left disappointed. It's hard to dive into what the story is about without giving away too many details. I had never seen a trailer before so there is a shift in the second act that I did not see coming and left me confused. The film wants to confuse you for the most part and it's not until the third act when things start "making sense" that we get a picture of what is trying to be told here.

Films that deal with slavery tend to be graphic, not shying away from the subject matter. It can be uncomfortable realism like in 12 Years A Slave, or stylized violence like in Django Unchained. Antebellum feels afraid to go the distance, the emotional trauma isn't there and the film suffers as a result. It doesn't have to be graphic with the content, but I felt a disconnect with the subject matter.

More time dedicated to characters that needed to be fleshed out would have helped, instead we get scenes of Gabourey Sidibe with attitude. It's her story, but fleshing out the side characters, maybe giving more time with her daughter would have helped me connect with...anyone.

The film is beautifully shot with a well choreographed opening sequence accompanied by a haunting score, but it thinks it's more important than it really is.

Suspect's Reviews

Can't even see where the knob is

The Evil Dead - ☆☆

(A.K.A The Party Man's Lovecraft)

In some ways, this is the odd one out in the franchise, because it is easily the most serious one of the bunch, not counting the remake. It's indeed rather remarkable how slow and relatively restrained the film is for the majority of its duration.....Until Raimi finally unleashes his cheeseball stop-motion and some nifty makeup effects on us. Pretty cool stuff and a solid payoff, but the rest of the film lacks the balanced exuberance and effectively creepy pacing of the vastly superior Dead by Dawn. It's not bad by any means, but it feels very much like a hasty test run for Raimi's ultimate vision.....If he ever had one, lol.

Despite that, it's still a unique little experimental film, with an atmosphere completely unlike that of ANY other horror film I've seen. I guess some of Stuart Gordon's and Brian Yuzna's works approach it, but still no cigar. In these modern times, where very few horror movies are even allowed to have a distinct voice of their own, this one will offer you a pleasant reminder that horror can be more than ghosts and axe murderers.

Malasaña 32 (2020)
aka 32 Malasana Street

A Spanish horror in the vein of The Conjuring and Insidious. Technically it's fine, but the script lacks originality, and despite the effort, it's not creepy enough.

This is one of those movies that I seem to know a LOT of quotes from, and yet have never seen.

I was watching an episode of Fresh Off the Boat and this gag hit me like a weird nostalgia train:

You’re the disease, and I’m the cure.

The Evil Dead - ☆☆
Why so low? That’s a classic.

Halloween (2007):
For a film remaking one of my favourite movies, it turned out pretty good on rewatch, I had a good time with it and enjoyed the gore and TNA throughout. Not as great as the original, but still a good horror movie.
8.5/10

Can't even see where the knob is
Why so low? That’s a classic.

Oh, it's definitely a classic, but Dead by Dawn just takes the whole thing to the next level. It perfected the "formula" for me. Upon re-watching the original, I thought it fell a bit short with it's languid pacing. It was a bit of a struggle to get through it, at times, despite the lovely atmos.

The fact that I watched Dead by Dawn LONG before I first watched the original, causing it to became my main frame of reference, probably didn't help either.

Oh, it's definitely a classic, but Dead by Dawn just takes the whole thing to the next level. It perfected the "formula" for me. Upon re-watching the original, I thought it fell a bit short with it's languid pacing. It was a bit of a struggle to get through it, at times, despite the lovely atmos.

The fact that I watched Dead by Dawn LONG before I first watched the original, causing it to became my main frame of reference, probably didn't help either.
Understandable, Dead by Dawn is awesome, but 3 does still kinda seem low in retrospect.

The Good Soldier Schweik (Czech: Dobrý voják Švejk) 1957

8/10
A normal man? For me, a normal man is one who turns his head to see a beautiful woman's bottom. The point is not just to turn your head. There are five or six reasons. And he is glad to find people who are like him, his equals. That's why he likes crowded beaches, football, the bar downtown...

Understandable, Dead by Dawn is awesome, but 3 does still kinda seem low in retrospect.
How's my 1.5 stars for Evil Dead 2 sound then? I know, that kinda seems low to me too but I just didn't like it at all upon the latest rewatch. The first film got 3.5 stars at that time and it's, by far, my favorite of the series.

Borat Subsequent Moviefilm (2020)

Astonishingly hilarious if you are anti-Trump, though I don't think it will stand the test of time like the first one did. Because of that my rating drops about a full point.

Definitely watch it before election day if you plan on seeing it, as the movie is pretty heavily political and will be viewed differently between conservatives and liberals. I have to wonder if this movie even gets made if the election goes the other way in 2016....

Hellraiser (1987) - 9/10
Hellbound: Hellraiser II (1988) - 8/10
Hell on Earth: Hellraiser III (1992) - 8/10

What is your pleasure.

Loved this one as a child and it's still one of my favourites. I still have the audio cassette of the OST, which was quite a decent collection of songs.

Can't the say the same about the terrible sequel.

I just finished watching The Trial of the Chicago Seven and boy Sorkin can write (and direct).

As a non-American I was obviously not aware of this story, but it's amazing and it's been told quite well. The casting is top notch, and as I said before, Sorkin really knows how to keep in tight and hold the tension.

PS: All through the movie I kept thinking that I know the name Abbie Hoffman, but couldn't remember anything, until the end when it was revealed he wrote the book I read in college. Didn't think much of the book back then, but loved Sasha Cohen's portrayal of Hoffman.