The Personal Recommendation Hall of Fame II

Tools    

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Going My Way

I had genuinely never heard of this before, although I must have scrolled past the name in the lists section many times. The funny thing is, I have seen The Bells of St. Mary’s, although a long time ago now, and I had no idea this came first.

It’s interestingly quite slice of life, without much of a defined plot arc beyond the two priests getting used to each other and getting money for the church, with little bits of stories told along the way, which don’t all play out in quite the dramatic way you might expect. It’s quite gentle, with moments of genuinely funny humour and a little dash of war propaganda (it was 1944 after all).

I can’t watch anything with Irish priests without thinking of Father Ted. I can’t help but wonder whether Mrs Quimp in this at least partially inspired Mrs Doyle in Father Ted.

I liked Bing Crosby as the lead character, he’s very personable in the role. My Grandad is a big fan of Bing, so I’d heard quite a few of the songs in this film before. I’ll have to ask him whether he’s seen it, between Bing and golf he’s bound to like it.

Your appreciation for this film will depend on your tolerance for schmaltz and singing (and sometimes both at the same time). I would not, for example, recommend it to Miss Vicky. I found that the bits with the title song and the boys’ choir grated a little, but everything to do with the elderly priest was very affecting, in a Make Way for Tomorrow sort of a way and I had a tear in my eye at the ending. So perhaps schmaltz is selling this season after all.

No idea who nominated this for me, if pressed I would guess Citizen or Cricket, but I enjoyed it and would probably not have got round to it left to my own devices, so thank you.

Going My Way

No idea who nominated this for me, if pressed I would guess Citizen or Cricket, but I enjoyed it and would probably not have got round to it left to my own devices, so thank you.
Hey, now there's at least two of us who's seen this underseen gem. I just read my old review and I see nobody read my review either apparently. That's too bad because I rated this a 4.5/5 and loved it. In its day it was nominated for a number of Oscars. In case somebody wants to see my review here it is:
Going My Way

BTW, It might sound like I've chose the last couple movies for you guys, but don't be so sure of that

Thanks, Finding Neverland sounds like something I'd like, I'm hoping to watch it tonight. Is Hook any good?
It's been at least 20 years since I last watched Hook so I don't really remember any details, but I do remember not liking it much.

I really liked Finding Neverland but I'm a fan of Johnny Depp so my opinion is a little biased. Kate Winslet is quite good in it, too.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Thanks, Finding Neverland sounds like something I'd like, I'm hoping to watch it tonight. Is Hook any good?
I've seen Finding Neverland and enjoyed it.
I'm sorta on the fence with Hook. Robin Williams plays a grown up Peter Pan who left Neverland to be with Wendy (now his wife) and, like a lot of us, the boy grow up and became another suit in the big cog. His children are kidnapped by Hook and William's character has completely forgotten he was once Peter Pan.
It has potential but has a rough time reaching that potential. Also, in a kind of strange use of talent, Dustin Hoffman plays Hook and Julia Roberts as Tinkerbell. Though Bob Hoskins does a pretty good Smee.

Seen a lot of representations of Peter Pan growing up including a few stage productions on TV. One of them included Sandy Duncan as Peter Pan. It seemed back in the day they would have a woman playing Peter Pan on stage -- strange that.

Sorry to hear you've had little luck beyond Bambi for Disney animation. I wonder how you'd do with something like Pinocchio from Disney.

Going My Way

I had genuinely never heard of this before, although I must have scrolled past the name in the lists section many times. The funny thing is, I have seen The Bells of St. Mary’s, although a long time ago now, and I had no idea this came first.

It’s interestingly quite slice of life, without much of a defined plot arc beyond the two priests getting used to each other and getting money for the church, with little bits of stories told along the way, which don’t all play out in quite the dramatic way you might expect. It’s quite gentle, with moments of genuinely funny humour and a little dash of war propaganda (it was 1944 after all).

I can’t watch anything with Irish priests without thinking of Father Ted. I can’t help but wonder whether Mrs Quimp in this at least partially inspired Mrs Doyle in Father Ted.

I liked Bing Crosby as the lead character, he’s very personable in the role. My Grandad is a big fan of Bing, so I’d heard quite a few of the songs in this film before. I’ll have to ask him whether he’s seen it, between Bing and golf he’s bound to like it.

Your appreciation for this film will depend on your tolerance for schmaltz and singing (and sometimes both at the same time). I would not, for example, recommend it to Miss Vicky. I found that the bits with the title song and the boys’ choir grated a little, but everything to do with the elderly priest was very affecting, in a Make Way for Tomorrow sort of a way and I had a tear in my eye at the ending. So perhaps schmaltz is selling this season after all.

Hey, now there's at least two of us who's seen this underseen gem. I just read my old review and I see nobody read my review either apparently. That's too bad because I rated this a 4.5/5 and loved it. In its day it was nominated for a number of Oscars. In case somebody wants to see my review here it is:
Going My Way

BTW, It might sound like I've chose the last couple movies for you guys, but don't be so sure of that
A fellow fan of Father Ted!! VERY NICE!!!! Extra points for that

Had no idea this was the first film to Bells of St. Mary and I love Fitzgerald so I'll have to see this one

It's been at least 20 years since I last watched Hook so I don't really remember any details, but I do remember not liking it much.

I really liked Finding Neverland but I'm a fan of Johnny Depp so my opinion is a little biased. Kate Winslet is quite good in it, too.
Two voted for Finding Neverland, sounding good! I like Depp, even before he got famous as Captain Jack, and Kate Winslet is a favorite of mine too.

I've seen Finding Neverland and enjoyed it.
I'm sorta on the fence with Hook. Robin Williams plays a grown up Peter Pan who left Neverland to be with Wendy (now his wife) and, like a lot of us, the boy grow up and became another suit in the big cog. His children are kidnapped by Hook and William's character has completely forgotten he was once Peter Pan.
It has potential but has a rough time reaching that potential. Also, in a kind of strange use of talent, Dustin Hoffman plays Hook and Julia Roberts as Tinkerbell. Though Bob Hoskins does a pretty good Smee.

Seen a lot of representations of Peter Pan growing up including a few stage productions on TV. One of them included Sandy Duncan as Peter Pan. It seemed back in the day they would have a woman playing Peter Pan on stage -- strange that.

Sorry to hear you've had little luck beyond Bambi for Disney animation. I wonder how you'd do with something like Pinocchio from Disney.
You actually made Hook sound more interesting than I had thought, so one of these days I'd be up for Pinocchio, I think my favorite might be Cinderella as I've seen other versions of that story and I'm quite fond of it.

Ace in the Hole is a terrific movie, but when it was released it got terrible reviews and it lost a lot of money.
Read about that. USA citizens thought it was TOO cynical.
I hread that after Sunset they promised royalties on Ace and since it lost cash, Wilder didn't get any of it.

Jan Sterling is priceless in Ace in the Hole. I've seen her in several other movies and if given half a chance she really shines, like sterling silver!
I think the only other time I've seen her was in The Human Jungle so I may have to rectify it.

I think the only other time I've seen her was in The Human Jungle so I may have to rectify it.
I think I seen that one, thought those noir titles start blend together after awhile. My favorite Jan Sterling performance (besides Ace in the Hole) is the forensic investigative-procedural noir with Ricardo Montalban Mystery Street

Montalban is real good too, nice to see a Latin actor have a lead in an old Hollywood film.

The trick is not minding
I’ve seen and enjoyed Finding Neverland. Depp and Winslet are great in it, and it’s a nice sentimental film. It gets a little sappy at the end, but I think you’ll enjoy it.

I’ve seen and enjoyed Finding Neverland. Depp and Winslet are great in it, and it’s a nice sentimental film. It gets a little sappy at the end, but I think you’ll enjoy it.
I like sentimental, even sappy sometimes.

The trick is not minding
I like sentimental, even sappy sometimes.
Yeah, I mean, that last part is a minor quibble as I thoroughly enjoyed the film.
Pretty sure it’s right up your alley.

I'm okay with you signing up late if cricket's okay with it, raul.

Just, you know, as long as you don't ignore my guidelines when picking for me.