The Personal Recommendation Hall of Fame II

Tools    

I don't know much about most of the movies that were picked for me, so I'm going to go with The Untouchables because I've nominated two other movies starring Kevin Costner in past general HOFs (Dances With Wolves and A Perfect World) and because there are several Costner flicks in my top 100.
Nope

Whoops, me bad! I've seen Friendly Persuasion (1956) only a few months ago, but didn't realize it wasn't crossed off my list. I liked it too.
Your replacement is in-

Ali: Fear Eats the Soul (1974)

Hardly any westerns and no docs this time.
Docs are hit or miss, so I get that, but surprised at the lack of westerns.
I was hoping for a doc or two, I usually enjoy them. I've been watching westerns again for the the last couple weeks, but nothing that's on the western list.

Looks like I'm going to need some help finding a non-sketchy source for Secrets & Lies. None of my trusted sources have it and it's not available on region 1 DVD. (One of these days I may get me a region free DVD player, but this is not that day.)

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Looks like I'm going to need some help finding a non-sketchy source for Secrets & Lies. None of my trusted sources have it and it's not available on region 1 DVD. (One of these days I may get me a region free DVD player, but this is not that day.)
Let me know if the link I sent in comments works.

Jackie Brown

A woman with not much going for her attempts to perform a heist that could cost her everything if failed

I see that some people consider this to be an outlier in Tarantino’s career. How can that be though? It has engaging dialogue, a long runtime that flies by, a groovy soundtrack and clear homage to films that he loves. The only two reasons I can really see is that there’s very little violence and the plot is, for the most part, linear. I know a few people who say it’s their favourite Tarantino for these reasons. While I wouldn’t call it my favourite, I can’t blame them.

This film really takes its time; Most of the film is character interactions and the heist doesn’t happen until near the end of the film. I quite like this style, not everything has to be about samurai sword fights and warehouse shootouts. I was already familiar with this type of Tarantino film when I saw ‘Once Upon a Time in Hollywood’, but of course this was the first time I’d say he used it. For a dialogue heavy film the dialogue is very well written and expresses the personalities of the characters well. Of course the dialogue has that standard Tarantino flair of talking about a random topic that has nothing to do with the plot but is interesting nonetheless (coughing's good, it gets you higher). The use of soul music for the soundtrack gives it a very fresh and cool mood. Even though it's a heist film that doesn't focus too much on the planning or the heist itself, these parts are very well done; they manage to be intense and really funny at the same time.

Not Tarantino’s best film but certainly a great one. Thanks to whoever picked it (even if I did see it before I knew it had been picked last night!)

I don't wanna come across as a d1ck but it's Cabaret not Caberet. Both Joel Grey and Liza Minnelli are great in it imo.
Enjoy your watches al!!

I don't wanna come across as a d1ck but it's Cabaret not Caberet. Both Joel Grey and Liza Minnelli are great in it imo.
Enjoy your watches al!!
It's better than what I first put down, which was Cabernet. Perhaps I have wine leaking into my brain. Thanks for the heads up

I've always thought that Jackie Brown was QT's most under appreciated film. It was my first choice for Hash before it was snatched up from my claws. Glad you enjoyed it!

I've always thought that Jackie Brown was QT's most under appreciated film. It was my first choice for Hash before it was snatched up from my claws. Glad you enjoyed it!
I agree - it's up there with his best imo.