A Song For October

Tools    

Gonna try vote today but my computer died today so will have to do it via phone. [eek]
R.i.P. hardware

01: Savatage - Believe
02: Hooverphonic - Frosted Flake Wood
03: The Radiacs - Do Bad Things
04: Player - Baby Come Back
05: Brandy Clark - Stripes
06: The Beatles - While My Guitar Gently Weeps
07: Warren Zevon - Werewolves of London
08: Garth Brooks - Learning to Live Again
09: Dead Territory - 4' 33'' (Death Metal Cover)

Warren Zevon - Werewolves Of London - I was so glad this was eligable as I was sure someone had nominated this before and it'd done well. I almost didn't bother checking. Even if it wasn't Halloween I think this would be topping my list.

The Beatles - While My Guitar Gently Weeps - Great song but a brilliant chorus which makes the song.

Player - Baby Come Back - This song is so evocative of its era. Which is a great thing for me.

Hooverphonic - Frosted Flake Wood - Liked this, had a Halloweeny feel. A bit like something from a kids horror/Halloween special.

Savatage - Believe - Completely unaware of this before now. Good ballad. I think if I'd heard this at the 'right' time in my life it'd be a firm favourite.

The Radiacs - Do Bad Things - A song which never quite takes off for me. I like it, I just wish it had a bit more to give.

Brandy Clark - Stripes - Meh, it's catchy enough but not my thing.

Garth Brooks - Learning to Live Again - We all know how I feel about this.

Dead Territory - 4' 33'' (Death Metal Cover) - Sorry, I'm not wasting my time. Neither on this, the original or any other 'version'.

Another strong round.

1. The Beatles
2. Warren Zevon
3. Player
4. Brandy Clark
5. Savatage
6. Garth Brooks
7. The Radiacs
8. Hooverphonic
9. Dead Territory

Round 10

1. The Beatles - While My Guitar Gently Weeps
(Possibly my favorite Beatles song.)

2. Warren Zevon - Werewolves of London
(Never realized how much this sounds like "Sweet Home Alabama." No wonder Kid Rock mashed them together.)

3. Brandy Clark - Stripes
(Can't say for certain if I've ever listened to Brandy Clark before, although I'm familiar with the name. Lyrics are the highlight here. Orange is the New Woman in Black.)

4. The Radiacs - Do Bad Things
(My least favorite of my own noms this tournament, as I generally agree with hk's comments. Wish the sound was a bit more sinister or that the band went ballistic in the closing stretch, but I still enjoy the song nonetheless.)

5. Hooverphonic - Frosted Flake Wood
(Makes me feel like I'm in a Terry Gilliam film or something similarly warped.)

6. Player - Baby Come Back
(I've heard this song used for comedic purposes so often that it's lost whatever smoothness it once had. At least now I know the name of the artist.)

7. Savatage - Believe
(Generic Rock Ballad 101.)

8. Garth Brooks - Learning to Live Again
(Generic Country Ballad 101.)

9. Dead Territory - 4' 33" (Death Metal Cover)
(Somebody's trolling. )

Great round, guys! Doing this all from my phone so no fancy colours or smaller fonts...

1. Player - Baby Come Back
Absolutely love this song. It's one of my all-time favourites from the 70s. A few years ago, I was watching this Danish tv programme where they spent a day with a certain celebrity, and the episode I happened upon featured Ronn Moss, who was mostly known for his role as Ridge Forrester in the daytime soap The Bold and the Beautiful. I was shocked when it was revealed he was also known for being in a one hit wonder 70s band called Player... I had no idea...

2. The Radiacs - Do Bad Things
Very good cover. I quite like psycho/rockabilly. Of course I thought about True Blood.

3. Hooverphonic - Frosted Flake Wood
Yaaas Hooverphonic!

4. The Beatles - While My Guitar Gently Weeps
Great Beatles song.

5. Warren Zevon - Werewolves Of London
A "that song!" moment for me. You know, when you know a song but didn't know its name ir who did it...

6. Brandy Clark - Stripes
I really struggle with country in general, but liked this one, good voice and attitude.

7. Dead Territory - 4' 33'' (Death Metal Cover)
I LOLd. Good cover of John Cage, tbh...thank you for nominating it!

8. Savatage - Believe

9. Garth Brooks - Learning to Live Again

All voted.....

1st - Player - Baby Come Back (63 pts)

2nd - The Beatles - While My Guitar Gently Weeps (62 pts)
3rd - Warren Zevon - Werewolves Of London (57 pts)
4th - Hooverphonic - Frosted Flake Wood (51 pts)
5th - Brandy Clark - Stripes (49 pts)
5th - The Radiacs - Do Bad Things (49 pts)
7th - Savatage - Believe (35 pts)
8th - Garth Brooks - Learning to Live Again (28 pts)
9th - Dead Territory - 4' 33'' (Death Metal Cover) (11 pts)

Grats to cat on getting yet another tune through to the Final

Round Eleven up in the morning...

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
All voted.....

1st - Player - Baby Come Back (63 pts)

Grats to cat on getting yet another tune through to the Final

Congratulations @cat_sidhe!

Yods and Seds both rejoin us while pahaK sits this one out (hopefully yer man upstairs hasn't decided to take a bottle of wodka into the shower again)....

The Specials - Ghost Town - It's classics time again. Very much of its time and yet it seems timeless and (sadly) as relevant as ever. One of my favourite songs of all time. It's defintely my #1 this round.

The Zombies - Time of the Season - Love this song and it's one of two Zombie songs I was thinking of nominating myself but couldn't fit them in. Great song.

Eddie Murphy - Party all the Time - Oh, here we go. It's the 80's baby and a classic of sorts. A great example of the 3am coke conversation, ego and the money to make it so. Can you imagine the 80's without the influence of coke? No, you can't because it couldn't have happened.

Aretha Franklin - (You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman - Oh, it's classic time. Though, like My Guitar Gently Weeps, it's the chorus which really elevates it.

Amorphis - Silver Bride - Nice sound, but that's about it.

Chris Knight - Down The River - It feels like it should be over the credits of a true crime documentary. Goes on way too long for me but it fits the mood of the song.

Liz Callaway - Once Upon A December - Quite nice, but not something I'd choose to listen to.

Big Data - Dangerous - I quite liked it, but it soon became background music.

Billy Strings - Watch It Fall - I actually don't mind the music. It's the singing which puts me off.

China Dolls - The Dog Song - Silly and quirky. Obviously the kind of thing which will often play well with me. Unfortunately small yappy type dogs are as annoying as ****.

Good round for me.