A scary thing happened on the way to the Movie Forums - Horrorcrammers

Tools    

Just wandered in from the cold. Just another hungry transient thrown out into the street by Uncle Corrie.

Can I enter and have a bowl of soup?

I just read a piece of research that suggested Sinister is ‘objectively’ the scariest film of all time, because it elicited the strongest physiological response. It’s said to be on account of the jump scares and the soundtrack with heavy beats. I do remember it being reasonably disturbing, if average in terms of narrative. Still, rather odd, huh?

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I just read a piece of research that suggested Sinister is ‘objectively’ the scariest film of all time, because it elicited the strongest physiological response. It’s said to be on account of the jump scares and the soundtrack with heavy beats. I do remember it being reasonably disturbing, if average in terms of narrative. Still, rather odd, huh?
That film has an unusually large fanbase. I thought it was pretty basic run of the mill horror.

Suspect's Reviews

Yeah, same here. I would say the same about many of those "recent" horror thrillers like The Conjuring and Insidious, which I usually get mixed up.

Yeah, same here. I would say the same about many of those "recent" horror thrillers like The Conjuring and Insidious, which I usually get mixed up.
James Wan directed both so it makes sense people might mix them up. I love The Conjuring movies and thought Insidious was a decent attempt at shaking things up a bit.

I *hated* Insidious. However, I don't remember anything about The Conjuring other than it stars Vera Farmiga and Patrick Wilson (who was also in Insidious!)

I'd consider myself a fan of his. Always look forward to what he has to offer in the horror genre. Same with Mike Flanagan, Ari Aster and Robert Eggers.

Neil Marshall needs a rebound after the latest Hellboy movie.

Man I keep forgetting this even exists. I haven't heard anything good but I still intend to watch it one of these days, just cause I'm loyal that way.

You’re the disease, and I’m the cure.
I hated that film, disgrace to the original Hellboy movie and comics.

A system of cells interlinked
Wan is hit and miss for me. Pretty sure he was behind the first Saw flick, which I abhor. That said, The Conjuring was definitely a step up for him. I think it says quite a bit about contemporary horror when a guy like Wan manages to up his quality considerably by reverting to style and technique from the 70s...

This is the correct ranking.
You must have really been underwhelmed by Wurdalak because I thought Telephone came off a bit too generic. That's why I want to see the original Italian version. From what I've read the studio really messed with it and turned it into just another stalker story, albeit one of the first.

You must have really been underwhelmed by Wurdalak because I thought Telephone came off a bit too generic. That's why I want to see the original Italian version. From what I've read the studio really messed with it and turned it into just another stalker story, albeit one of the first.
No, I meant I agree with your rankings. Wurdalak is my favorite thing ever.

No, I meant I agree with your rankings. Wurdalak is my favorite thing ever.
Whoops. My bad.

Dagon -

Not to take away from Forrest and Jenny, but he and H.P. Lovecraft really go together like peas and carrots. Like he did in his other Lovecraft adaptations, Gordon respects the source material without alienating Lovecraft amateurs and makes a movie that is a blast to watch. I like how the slightly fisheye (no pun intended) lens and unsteady camera put you in Marsh's shoes and amplify his confusion and desperation. It helps that Ezra Godden - who was inspired by Harold Lloyd, but he might as well have been channeling Gordon muse Jeffrey Combs - is so expressive. I was also impressed with Francisco Rabal (R.I.P). and Macarena Gómez as Paul's would-be mate Uxia, who made her feature-film debut in this movie and has deservedly had a successful career since. Not to mention, if you also enjoy Gordon's movies for their laughs as much as their scares, you'll find them here, especially during a scene with a not-so-responsive innkeeper and the reveal of Uxia's...umm...condition. The production does not have a huge budget, and while some of the special effects like the underwater scenes and the one in the flooded house hold up, others are as shoddy as ones in the typical SyFy original movie. Also, Gordon's more perverse tendencies are often a boon - see Re-Animator and Castle Freak - but they do not always work in this movie's favor. It's still as enjoyable as the typical Gordon movie and is bound to please those who are new to or familiar with his or Lovecraft's work. Just be warned that you may be compelled to cancel any upcoming lake or beach trips after you watch it.
I haven't seen it since it first came out (2001?), but I felt pretty much the same way.

I wonder if those responses were short or long term. Yes, if you make me jump my heart rate might go up for a few minutes. The same thing is true when I trip over a stray walnut in the dark--doesn't mean it's an expertly crafted scare. I hardly remember The Conjuring, a film that placed very high on the list. To me, a scary movie is the one that I'm thinking about a month after watching it.

I wonder if those responses were short or long term. Yes, if you make me jump my heart rate might go up for a few minutes. The same thing is true when I trip over a stray walnut in the dark--doesn't mean it's an expertly crafted scare.
I was under the impression it was short-term response, including during the viewing itself. I don’t think the heart rate would apply for long-term. I appreciate it’s a myopic way of judging response, but for me, a spiked heart rate from a film would be a pretty big deal - and that’s exactly what I seem to remember from Sinister, especially when the entity’s face suddenly appears in videos or moves in drawings/photos. Anyway, while I understand that, I’d never in a million years place Sinister at the top of the list.

I hardly remember The Conjuring, a film that placed very high on the list. To me, a scary movie is the one that I'm thinking about a month after watching it.
I’m with you a 100% on that. I quite like The Conjuring and feel it’s very stylish, but it doesn’t feel like a horror film to me - and I definitely don’t think back to it unless I’m in a thread like this one.

That means you're a huge fan of him, right?
I think I finally cracked why Crumbsroom feels the way he does about The Conjuring.

Crumbsroom: "Popcorn, I'm depressed. No movie seems scary anymore."

Popcorn Reviews: "Treatment is simple. Great director James Wan is in town tonight. Go and see his new scary movie. That should pick you up."

Crumbsroom: "But Popcorn...I am James Wan!"