23rd MoFo Hall of Fame

Tools    

Legend in my own mind
Got two more reviews to post up. Will get to it tomorrow

The Great Mouse Detective

A girl goes to a world famous detective to help her find her father, leading to a tale full of twists and turns

This is a rarely talked about era in Disney history I feel, which is a shame because it's very interesting. Just after the critically acclaimed but slightly meandering films like Sword in the Stone and Bambi, but just before the Renaissance. Even if this era is considered the black sheep of Disney's history, it's interesting to think about why.

My favourite part about the film, and the one that stands out the most, is the atmosphere of the film: An eternally moonlit Victorian-era London occupied by cozy homes, wet streets and lively pubs. It makes viewing the film a pleasurable experience as you can imagine yourself there. The action scenes in the film are also very well realized and exciting, the filmmakers took full advantage of the fact that our main characters are small, making for more interesting visuals (The view from atop Big Ben made me dizzy!). The voice acting is all very effective, everyone using the stereotypical posh British voice to amusing effect. I didn't even realise Vincent Price was in this until I looked it up afterwards.

Good pick @rauldc14.

((Also the fact that there's a mouse Holmes and Watson and a mouse Queen makes me think, are these mice just an early rendition of the monsters from 'Us'? Completely copying everything the humans are doing? Does this apply to London only or the whole world? Was there a mouse Blitz, which in turn implies the existence of a mouse Hitler? THIS MOVIE NEEDS A SEQUEL PEOPLE!)

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
The Great Mouse Detective

A girl goes to a world famous detective to help her find her father, leading to a tale full of twists and turns
there a mouse Blitz, which in turn implies the existence of a mouse Hitler? THIS MOVIE NEEDS A SEQUEL PEOPLE!)
hey @rauldc14, check it out -- even your nomination "needs more Hitler"

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Yellow Submarine

I think one has to be a massive Beatles fan or be having an acid trip while watching this in order to really love it. Unfortunately for me, neither of these are the case and I don't do drugs so that will never be the case with number 2. I've grown to have a lot of respect for The Beatles, but I still wouldn't have them listed amongst my favorite bands. Definitely influential however.

I like some of their songs, so the songs are definitely a highlight, favorite in the film being Lucy in the Sky.

It's much of what others have said, I don't care about the story and I also don't think it's a particularly good one either. The animation is quite decent to look at but not anything ultra extraordinary. The characters range from uninteresting to super vanilla to me, another knock. Surprised to see this make the animation countdown when considering some of those that didn't make it. Oh well, like Miss Vicky said, it's short and yes I've definitely seen worse things.

Wizard of Oz got trampled in a Hall of Fame.
WOZ placed 7th out of 15 noms in that HOF. I wouldn't call that "trampled."

In any case, I'm pretty sure this HOF is just a race for second place. I only have 5 ballots though, so maybe I'll be proved wrong.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ

In any case, I'm pretty sure this HOF is just a race for second place. I only have 5 ballots though, so maybe I'll be proved wrong.
I just got to rewatch Gangs of New York. You could technically probably have my ballot already as I'm pretty sure of it's placement for me but I'll hold off. Kinda hoping it's still on Netflix for ease of watching.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

And then I'll send my vote in and mess it all up.

Speaking of slackers, we are only one month away from the deadline.

@neiba
@MovieGal
@Siddon

We need reviews from you. You haven't posted any in several weeks!

Speaking of slackers, we are only one month away from the deadline.

@neiba
@MovieGal
@Siddon

We need reviews from you. You haven't posted any in several weeks!
I have been in the process of moving from apartment to apartment... I plan on having mine done by next friday.

Let the night air cool you off

The Fisher King
(Terry Gilliam, 1991)
Nominated By: edarsenal
137 mins, IMDb

My experience with Terry Gilliam films has been mainly positive. I believe I've seen only three of his films prior to checking out The Fisher King. I adore his adaptation of Munchausen and I also adore Time Bandits. The other film of his I've seen, and the one Fisher King reminds me more of, Brazil, is a film that I had mixed feelings about. It was a more positive than negative experience overall, but I didn't adore it the way I did with the other two. The weird, dreamy sequences of Brazil are the thing I most remember about it, and it's also the thing I most enjoyed about The Fisher King. I think if there was more of that and less of the romance angle, I probably would have enjoyed it even more. It's not to say I hated anything with the movie, but the romance stuff was pretty standard, whereas the weird, bizarelly angled scenes with the Red Knight stuff was way more interesting. I don't really have much to say, I've had a few drinks and my head hurts. The Fisher King is a decent movie.

The Fisher King
(Terry Gilliam, 1991)
Nominated By: edarsenal
137 mins, IMDb

My experience with Terry Gilliam films has been mainly positive. I believe I've seen only three of his films prior to checking out The Fisher King. I adore his adaptation of Munchausen and I also adore Time Bandits. The other film of his I've seen, and the one Fisher King reminds me more of, Brazil, is a film that I had mixed feelings about. It was a more positive than negative experience overall, but I didn't adore it the way I did with the other two. The weird, dreamy sequences of Brazil are the thing I most remember about it, and it's also the thing I most enjoyed about The Fisher King. I think if there was more of that and less of the romance angle, I probably would have enjoyed it even more. It's not to say I hated anything with the movie, but the romance stuff was pretty standard, whereas the weird, bizarelly angled scenes with the Red Knight stuff was way more interesting. I don't really have much to say, I've had a few drinks and my head hurts. The Fisher King is a decent movie.
The complete opposite for me, but what you like is why Gilliam is who he is and what I like is why I don't normally care for Gilliam.

Legend in my own mind

Film: Hunger
Year of release: 2008
Directed by: Steve McQueen
Run time: 1hr 36
Starring: Michael Fassbender, Stuart Graham

This was a graphically shocking film that was relentless in its portrayal of life inside the prison and the lengths that individuals would go to in order to gain status and influence.
There isn't a lot of dialogue in the first half of the film, so som understanding of the context in Northern Ireland at this time would be useful. I had that as it affected my family (which also gave me both an insight and a bias) but I realise that everyone doesn't have an understanding of the context.
Due to my own experience it was hard for me to see 'Sands' as a victim yet fully acknowledge that some of the treatment that he receieved was inhumane.
After the first 30 minutes I did think I got the point of the violence and mayhem in the prsion, yet it went on for quite a bit longer. I get that McQueen was trying to hammer home the point but after a while I was getting frustrated with it.
I think McQueen did a good job, but appreciate that it won't be for everyone, with some scenes having a 'real time' feel and not just the neccesary information like with the majority of films. An example would be the conversation with the priest - I enjoyed it but know that it will frustrate some.
The sounds of this film played as big of a part as the visuals and really enhanced the severity of what was going on.
The acting was quality and Fassbender was exceptional.
A well made film that is quite dark in nature.