Hubie Halloween is a tough watch

→ in
Tools    

Hubie Halloween

Well Adam Sandler warned us all that if he got snubbed for a Oscar that he would come back and make the worst movie possible. He may not have deserved a Oscar for the overrated mediocre film in Uncut Gems but man if it would have spared the world the travesty of ever seeing this film, then man he should have gotten that nomination. This movie sucks, its unfunny and tough to get through. It may not be the low point for Adam Sandler but its not something to be proud of. There is a few laughs and even more missed jokes. Good for Sandler giving his buddies work but c’mon man give them something good to work with. As truly terrible as this movie is there is one lone bright spot.

Steve ****ing Buschemi deserves a Oscar for his work here. I mean he was able to get some laughs out of this awful script. Once its revealed he isnt actually a werewolf that's when he starts to shine. Especially in the final scene. Between him licking himself and him delivering the best line of the movie. I don’t remember what that line exactly is because I have already deleted this crapfest of a movie from my mind. Still though he was the highlight of this movie.

Bonus for the few other laughs: Kennan Thompson wasn’t used much but he has a few laughs. Again in the end scene he has decent lines, that at least get you to smile. Shaq is ok in his brief cameo as well.

Now lets get to all that is wrong here which is basically the whole movie.

Adam Sandler: Has any of his stupid voices been funny since The Waterboy? That may be the last time his silly voice was actually funny. The king of terrible voice accents strikes again here. I don’t know who’s idea it was to make him slightly retarded here but they need to stop making movies or produce any ideas for movies. Just have Sandler play himself and he can pull of the idiot role on his own.The voice he does here instantaneously make you regret even putting that unfunny movie one. For the love of my hearing please stop doing accents.

Kevin James makeup: That is hands down the worst fake hair and beard of all time. It looks like they were both falling off all the time. Fakeist looking **** I have ever seen. He does indeed look like a Muppet (I’ll admit this was a joke in the movie that I stole).

The callbacks: This has a few old references to his older movies and they don’t work. There is another dumb O’Doyle kid still yelling how those dumb ****s rule. 25 years later and that family still cant reproduce a smart child. Ben Stiller reprising one of his better roles of Hal the orderly also fails hard. Its a wasted cameo that doesnt have any joke behind it or at least a joke that lands. There was even a reference to Ace Ventura Pet detective, that doesnt even work. I don’t know if it should be called a reference or plagiarism since they lifted the dialogue right from the scene. The only difference is that Jim Carey was funny when he said it and I just wanted to punch Sandler in his dumb face.

WARNING: "Spoilers" spoilers below
The ending: A) His mother being the kidnapper was ****ing dumb. B) Having all the other characters listing their faults and why they pick on Hubie was just as dumb. This was such a forced lesson in bullying to kids. I get this a kids movie but even a kid has to groan on the forced nature of the lesson that bullying is bad. Bowen’s and Sandler’s characters get together in the end and her kids are real quick to call him dad. They were real desperate to get a dad in their lives.

Unfunny: 95% of this so called comedy is unfunny. There are a few laughs mixed in here, and I mean very few laughs. I mean sure they attempted jokes but those jokes all flat on their face. That vomit and poop gags don’t work. You want some old ladies wearing sexual shirts that don’t understand the sex jokes, then this movie is full of them. The thermos having all these gadgets in it like Batmans utility belt wasn’t funny. Oh hey look its a grappling hook and it pours out soup, the comedy genius. Hey the jokes wasn’t funny the first time and it doesnt get any funnier the next 1000 times.

We are getting old: Everyone from my childhood is getting ****ing old. Ben Stiller looks old. Chet Hunter (the old guy in all of Adam Sandler’s movies and Shawns dad Boys Meets World) looks ****ing ancient, Schneider looks rough.Buscehmi has always looked old but now he looks like someones big eyed grandpa. Sandler has aged well. Julie Bowen is the only one that has aged well and looks even better the she did in Happy Gilmore. Hell even the kid from Stranger Things is old . No way they can pull off playing little kids anymore. Unless they use a time jump in years to explain how old they look. You can get the **** outta here with them being kids.

All in all this movie sucks. Its tough to even sit through. Its ****ing dumb and its not even fun dumb. Its just another sad step for Adam Sandler’s movie career. He hasn’t made a decent movie in so long. His career is filled with complete crappy movies. This isnt the worst of the bunch but its not a movie to be proud of either. But what the **** does he care, he has made so much money off of us ****ing idiots who keep watching his garbage. Again Uncut Gems was a overrated mediocre movie and frankly he wasn’t very good in it but if it would have spared s from this movie then maybe he should have been nominated. 3.5/10

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I wouldn't call it his worst output, not even his worst recent output (Ridiculous Six and The Week Of take those spots) but it is indeed a misfire for jokes.

Sandler has made a children's Halloween movie with Hubie and one that gets a few chuckles at best. There are numerous callbacks to his earlier films and a bunch of cameos you'd expect from a Sandler movie, but it offers nothing fresh or funny. His voice was indeed annoying and the mystery aspect kind of falls flat. The town being excessively mean to him felt odd (Ray Liotta???). This film would have been more fun if
WARNING: "Hubie Halloween" spoilers below
Actual monsters showed up. If it leaned heavily into the supernatural and had the town get together in support of Hubie defeating the monsters, this could have been enjoyable.

I don't expect this to be a yearly viewing like other Halloween centric films (Hocus Pocus).

Suspect's Reviews

I'm waiting on an evening when I got nothing better to do or nothing better to watch when I'll turn this one on. Keeping very low expectations obviously.

Apparently there is a demand for a sequel.

https://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/...loween-sequel/
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

I got through a full 3 minutes the other night before switching to something else. I'll try again because I really do like Adam Sandler.

Also, @randomreviews, please use spoiler tags.

I got through a full 3 minutes the other night before switching to something else. I'll try again because I really do like Adam Sandler.
Sounds like me, I like Sandler when he's in a decent comedy, but I shut off Hubie Halloween after about 5 minutes of sheer annoyances.

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
I have to come clean, I just can’t keep this secret in any longer.

I watched Hubie Halloween...kinda. Had something to do and couldn’t find anything on YouTube, so I figured I would use this as background noise. I wasn’t locked in, but I think I got the jist.

In light of the quality of the films, Sandler seems to hit this nostalgia sweet spot. Like hanging out with an old friend that you are happy to have around. Not a good movie, but not bad.

I was surprised to see the Stranger Things kid. His career must not be taking off like he would have hoped.

I was surprised to see the Stranger Things kid. His career must not be taking off like he would have hoped.
You got to be more specific when saying that Stranger Things kid...they're all kids!!!!

Millie Bobby Brown and Finn Wolfhard are having pretty good careers right now.

You got to be more specific when saying that Stranger Things kid...they're all kids!!!!

Millie Bobby Brown and Finn Wolfhard are having pretty good careers right now.
The one with the mop haircut and the crazy mom

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Sounds like me, I like Sandler when he's in a decent comedy, but I shut off Hubie Halloween after about 5 minutes of sheer annoyances.

I'm not a fan of Adam Sandler, (although I don't really dislike him either), but I watched his movie Reign Over Me (2007) recently and I liked it a lot.

I think if he did more dramas, instead of the stupid comedies he's known for, he would probably get more respect as an actor.

I'm not a fan of Adam Sandler, (although I don't really dislike him either), but I watched his movie Reign Over Me (2007) recently and I liked it a lot.

I think if he did more dramas, instead of the stupid comedies he's known for, he would probably get more respect as an actor.
If you look at his box office track record. His serious roles get great critical acclaim, but make very little at the box office. His comedies get destroyed critically, but make over $100M at the global box office. Over 20 of his films have crossed the $100M mark and that's based on him, people wanting to see him. You've got a person like Sam Jackson's box office track record; which is impressive, but people are mainly going to see those movies for different reasons. Star Wars, Marvel, Pixar...they make tons of money...but I don't think it's people going to see them for Sam Jackson. So I give The Sandman credit for that.

He also seems to have a lot more fun on set for something like this as opposed to the intensity of something like Uncut Gems. Does he want the critical acclaim? I doubt it, he wears sweat pants everywhere and doesn't like the main stream attention. He wants to make fun movies with his friends, which is what he's been doing his entire career.

He's a good actor when he wants to be and a cruise control for 85% of everything else.

I could not finish this. I did like Uncut Gems, mainly because my experience of Sandler as a comedian is bad enough that Gems seemed like the "real" Sandler...not Oscar-worthy, but pretty good at a semi-believable, low life character who's playing with the big boys (reminds me of Sandler himself). That whole little voice thing with Hubie was borderline offensive and made no sense unless it was a satire of people with problems, which is really shooting low.

When my kids were young, I saw lots of kid movies and this seemed to veer in that direction, but wan't zany and didn't have simple platitudes like a kid movie.

I can't figure out just why it was made since it didn't seem to be hitting any target very well. Even if Sandler wanted to get back at "us" for not getting enough out of Gems, you'd think that his financial supporters would have wanted something that would get a better reception.

If you look at his box office track record. His serious roles get great critical acclaim, but make very little at the box office. His comedies get destroyed critically, but make over $100M at the global box office. Over 20 of his films have crossed the $100M mark and that's based on him, people wanting to see him. You've got a person like Sam Jackson's box office track record; which is impressive, but people are mainly going to see those movies for different reasons. Star Wars, Marvel, Pixar...they make tons of money...but I don't think it's people going to see them for Sam Jackson. So I give The Sandman credit for that.

He also seems to have a lot more fun on set for something like this as opposed to the intensity of something like Uncut Gems. Does he want the critical acclaim? I doubt it, he wears sweat pants everywhere and doesn't like the main stream attention. He wants to make fun movies with his friends, which is what he's been doing his entire career.

He's a good actor when he wants to be and a cruise control for 85% of everything else.

I guess I'm in the minority because I don't like most of his comedies. Offhand, the only Sandler comedies I can think of that I liked are Bedtime Stories and Pixels. I also like the Hotel Transylvania movies, but I don't think of them as Sandler comedies. I just think of them as animated movies. I think I might like 50 First Dates and Click if I ever get around to watching them.

Listened to a pod yesterday and they talked about a new book, The Big Picture that deals with the Sony leaks. Apparently their primary focus at one time was Sandler and Will Smith. That should put his draw in perspective.

Another great tidbit was the idea behind After Earth. Like crazy. Social media platform based off this movie. Like, they thought it would replace facebook. Will Smith, yo.

I'm not a huge fan of RomComs/DramComs but I liked Spanglish enough to watch it a few times. Click is also very good. The one I'm surprised that I actually purchased though is The Wedding Singer. Funny stuff IM (uncultured) O.

I'm not a huge fan of RomComs/DramComs but I liked Spanglish enough to watch it a few times. Click is also very good. The one I'm surprised that I actually purchased though is The Wedding Singer. Funny stuff IM (uncultured) O.

The Wedding Singer is another movie that I might try watching if I get around to it someday. I don't know anything about Spanglish, but if it's a rom-com, I'll give it a chance.

The Wedding Singer is another movie that I might try watching if I get around to it someday. I don't know anything about Spanglish, but if it's a rom-com, I'll give it a chance.
I've seen very few Adam Sandler films, but I just watched one that you might like...Mr Deeds. He's a nice guy from a small town that inherits millions of dollars. As the rich bad guys are trying to steal his money, he doesn't have a clue...but his good natured behavior wins the day. You should watch Mr Deeds

My personal favourite Sandler movie is Punch Drunk Love. Sandler shows in it, that he is a good actor.
He has made a lot of thrash, though. In between there are likeable movies like Wedding Singer and 50 First Dates.

I haven't watched Uncut Gems yet.

I've seen very few Adam Sandler films, but I just watched one that you might like...Mr Deeds. He's a nice guy from a small town that inherits millions of dollars. As the rich bad guys are trying to steal his money, he doesn't have a clue...but his good natured behavior wins the day. You should watch Mr Deeds

Is Mr Deeds a remake of Mr. Deeds Goes to Town? I doubt that Adam Sandler can live up to Gary Cooper.

My personal favourite Sandler movie is Punch Drunk Love. Sandler shows in it, that he is a good actor.
He has made a lot of thrash, though. In between there are likeable movies like Wedding Singer and 50 First Dates.

I haven't watched Uncut Gems yet.

I haven't seen Punch Drunk Love, but I've heard that it's very good.