Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

The Queen (Frank Simon, 1968)
6/10
Welcome to Sudden Death (Dallas Jackson, 2020)
5/10
Adam AKA Quad (Michael Uppendahl, 2020)
6/10
The Boys in the Band (Joe Mantello, 2020)
7/10

In 1968, gay friends get together for a birthday party and a night of games.
Kenny (Clayton Jacobson, 2006)
6/10
Dondi (Albert Zugsmith, 1961)
+ 4.5/10
Doppelganger (Kiyoshi Kurosawa, 2003)
+ 6/10
Buddies (Arthur J. Bressan Jr., 1985)
7/10

Gay volunteer "buddy" David Schachter visits dying AIDS-infected man Geoff Edholm in a NYC hospital.
Weathering with You (Makoto Shinkai, 2019)
6.5/10
The Velvet Vampire (Stephanie Rothman, 1971)
+ 5/10
Summer Issues (Eric Kelly, 2020)
5.5/10
Dick Johnson Is Dead (Kirsten Johnson, 2020)
7/10

Unique, funny, serious, surreal and poignant result when a documentarian films her father's declining mental health.
Inez & Doug & Kira (Julia Kots, 2019)
5.5/10
Human Nature (Adam Bolt, 2019)
6.5/10
A Fire in the Cold Season (Justin Oakey, 2019)
5/10
Pinch (Jake Lloyd, 2016)
6.5/10

Businessman Tony Wayne plays a baseball game over a bat that reminds him of his late dad.
American Murder: The Family Next Door (Jenny Popplewell, 2020)
6.5/10
Wigstock: The Movie (Barry Shils, 1995)
6/10
Loves Me, Loves Me Not (Wayne Powers, 2019)
5/10
Vitalina Varela (Pedro Costa, 2019)
5.5/10

Vitalina Varela comes from Cape Verde to Lisbon to learn what happened to her dead husband.

Ils (Them) (2006) - 5/10. Trying to get into the French Extremity thing. So started off with this. Already did Martyrs long time ago. This was decent. There no blood/gore or anything, just fluff. It's nothing you haven't seen before. So I wouldn't call it memorable. The movie starts off by saying it is based on a true story. But I couldn't find the actual case it was based on. Just some verbal confirmation on some blog/thread.

Possessor (2020)

+

David Cronenberg's greatest accomplishment may have been raising a son who is sicker than he is. Brandon follows in his daddy's footsteps directing Sci-fi/horror with plenty of sex and violence, but he takes it more to the extreme in this movie. What I watched was labeled as uncut and there's no way it would pass for an R rating. It's an audio and visual treat with excellent acting and a terrific story. I don't think it's the kind of movie to have sequels, but if it were, there's a lot of places they could go with it. I had never heard of it before so thank you to The Samoan Lawyer for the recommendation. I will get the DVD when it comes to Netflix so wifey can see it too.

You’re the disease, and I’m the cure.
Landspeed Presents: CKY (1999):
I am a fan of the CKY Crew, and thought it’d be a good idea to rewatch it. Funny video, the best scene is probably either when Santa beats up the chicken or the “Wake Up” scene.
8.5/10

Once Upon a Time... In Hollywood (2019)

One of my favourite films of the past few years. I love everything about it. The story capturing the fading days of Hollywood's golden age, the end of the sixties and the moment just before the hippie dream turned sour, before the disillusionment of the 70s and the new generation of 70s filmmakers. The last taste of a world about to slip away. I love the characters: Pitt is brilliant as the rough, tough, loyal Cliff and I don't think DiCaprio has ever been better as Rick Dalton struggling to come to terms with his declining career. Margot Robbie is just this joyous, luminous, feminine presence gliding through the film. Everything about the visuals is amazing, from the cinematography to the sets, locations, costumes, cars; you're completely immersed in 1969 Los Angeles.

The film may be an acquired taste. It is long and some may find it too slow but I think the length perfectly complements the tone of the film with its gentle pacing that allows the characters to breathe and develop. The ending is controversial but I thought it was an clever twist on reality to give us a glimpse of an alternate optimistic path, a fairytale ending befitting the title, albeit with a splash of Tarantino's signature violence.

I loved spending two and a half hours immersed in this world with these characters. An exceptional film from an exceptional director.

5/5 Stars.

Ils (Them) (2006) - 5/10. Trying to get into the French Extremity thing. So started off with this. Already did Martyrs long time ago. This was decent. There no blood/gore or anything, just fluff. It's nothing you haven't seen before. So I wouldn't call it memorable. The movie starts off by saying it is based on a true story. But I couldn't find the actual case it was based on. Just some verbal confirmation on some blog/thread.
Been awhile since I've seen it and I enjoyed as far as home invasion flicks go it but, yeah, not extreme at all. I think what I liked most about it was Olivia Bonamy. As far as French Extreme, Martyrs, Inside and Frontier(s) are my favorite. High Tension... it's got some gore but that story...cheap. I don't think it's French Extreme, unless French means Belgium and I don't think it does, but Man Bites Dog is pretty solid. If you are looking for extreme Man Bites Dog is up there.

Unregistered User
Possessor (2020)

+

David Cronenberg's greatest accomplishment may have been raising a son who is sicker than he is. Brandon follows in his daddy's footsteps directing Sci-fi/horror with plenty of sex and violence, but he takes it more to the extreme in this movie. What I watched was labeled as uncut and there's no way it would pass for an R rating. It's an audio and visual treat with excellent acting and a terrific story. I don't think it's the kind of movie to have sequels, but if it were, there's a lot of places they could go with it. I had never heard of it before so thank you to The Samoan Lawyer for the recommendation. I will get the DVD when it comes to Netflix so wifey can see it too.

Glad you enjoyed, knew you would.

The Doorman (2020)

Usually, Ryûhei Kitamura's films are a little weird and sort of extreme. This time I get the feeling that the producers have had him on a tight leash. The Doorman is a cliched rip-off of Die Hard and Under Siege with nothing to really separate it from dozens of other B-actions. Decent attitude, held-back violence and mediocre (at most) action result in barely above bad entertainment.

I’d say a must-see for French extremity is Inside (À L’intérieur (2007)). That felt decent. Irreversible is also worth seeing, though it’s quite infamous for other reasons. I felt Martyrs had a great concept, but it was a bit under-explained and under-developed in favour of gore.

Badlands (1973)

I didn't care for it. The main characters were not believable to me and the story line was like a hastily written mid school homework assignment. The movie is loosely based on a true story, so Malick should have had enough wiggle room to make things a lot more compelling than this.

Badlands is supposedly known for its «lyrical» photography, but I have to say I much prefer Kubrick in that regard, and I'm not really a fan of his movies either.

3/10

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch

The Hater

So I recently watched The Social Dilemma which was decent and eye opening. But I didn't find it compelling either, it pointed out and explained how everything got so bad, but for a feature length production, it felt a bit drawn out.

This was striking because it depicted the issues it discussed in action, and how people can manipulate both sides into becoming more divided, more polarised, more disenchanted and enraged by the other side they see as insane. It had a relatively long run time, but I was hooked throughout following this guy's journey from drop out to a sociopath who vents out his personal frustrations on the world around him. You have to suspend your disbelief at some parts, but I really liked it overall and would recommend it!

Time to Hunt

This one did feel drawn out, and would have benefitted from being cut down quite a bit so the uneven pacing wouldn't be so much of an issue, and instead be a fast paced, solid action thriller.

That's not to say it's weak, because it's not. It is very well acted and beautifully shot. The characters are pretty well fleshed out, the action - when there is any - is great and tense. But the script lets this down. It showed a decent amount of promise nonetheless.

#Alive

Another South Korean zombie flick, and not the only to have dropped this year. This is a decent effort. Character driven, and they are interesting. The action is good, it's quite scary, but it feels like we've seen it all before. But I did enjoy it, the pacing was even here and again, it was very well acted.

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
I’d say a must-see for French extremity is Inside (À L’intérieur (2007)). That felt decent. Irreversible is also worth seeing, though it’s quite infamous for other reasons. I felt Martyrs had a great concept, but it was a bit under-explained and under-developed in favour of gore.
I do love a good ol horror film, but I watched Inside recently and it shocked me. So brutal, but pretty original and clever with its concept too. Definitely would recommend it.

I loved Martyrs as well, but it felt like two different movies stitched together which was a bit disconcerting.

Predestination (2014)

A bit different. Fairly entertaining. Some amusing paradoxes. Hawke is solid as usual. The movie wasn't exactly life changing, but I like time traveling movies in general and have no regrets about the time spent watching it.

7/10