Your favorite mindbenders

Tools    

Examples would be movies like Coherence, Enemy, Memento etc. Practically anything by David Lynch obviously. Lost Highway is a particularly good one.

Although these kinds of movies usually leave something to be desired, it's still one of my favorite genres for its potential impact. Sometimes thrillers with mindbending aspects may work better as a movie for me than a middle of the road "traditional" mindbender. Some examples would be 12 Monkeys, Stir of Echoes, Long Kiss Goodnight, The Game etc.

Anyway, what's some of yours?

I'm not much on "far out" surreal films. But as far as mind benders, one of my all time favorites is Inception (2010). Directed by Christopher Nolan, and starring L. DiCaprio, along with an all star very effective ensemble cast.

I couldn't figure it out the first time through, but got the hang of it after 1 or 2 re-watches. It's my idea of a good sci-fi thriller: complex, but not unfathomable. And with a PG-13 rating, it goes to show that great movies can be excellently done without gutter language, gore, or deviant sex. The special effects and photography were splendid.

I haven't seen anything as good as Inception since it was done.

I'm not much on "far out" surreal films. But as far as mind benders, one of my all time favorites is Inception (2010). Directed by Christopher Nolan, and starring L. DiCaprio, along with an all star very effective ensemble cast.

I couldn't figure it out the first time through, but got the hang of it after 1 or 2 re-watches. It's my idea of a good sci-fi thriller: complex, but not unfathomable. And with a PG-13 rating, it goes to show that great movies can be excellently done without gutter language, gore, or deviant sex. The special effects and photography were splendid.

TBH inception is like a cake walk if you compare it with Tenet....if you really want something to bend your mind ? watch tenet...thats complicated...inception is easy to follow...its mind bending for a 10 yr old kid.

Examples would be movies like Coherence, Enemy, Memento etc. Practically anything by David Lynch obviously. Lost Highway is a particularly good one.

Although these kinds of movies usually leave something to be desired, it's still one of my favorite genres for its potential impact. Sometimes thrillers with mindbending aspects may work better as a movie for me than a middle of the road "traditional" mindbender. Some examples would be 12 Monkeys, Stir of Echoes, Long Kiss Goodnight, The Game etc.

Anyway, what's some of yours?
I’m curious in what way you find Long Kiss Goodnight mind-bending? Been a while since I saw it, so I may need to refresh my memory.

I’m curious in what way you find Long Kiss Goodnight mind-bending? Been a while since I saw it, so I may need to refresh my memory.

It's more on the psychological side. The main characters identity is, let's just say unclear, with memory loss, intense flashbacks etc.That's the most intriguing part with the whole movie, at least to me. There are some less then brilliant moments here and there and things get a little mainstream action thriller towards the end, but overall I thought the movie was pretty damn great actually.
If you don't remember it then I highly recommend rewatching it. Especially if you're into smokeable enhancers. Been many years for me. I'm just waiting, in the hopes of forgetting the plot, so I'm actually pretty envious of you. If there was such a thing like what they did in Eternal Sunshine, only to forget movies instead of people, I would have strongly considered trying it, and for me The Long Kiss Goodnight would have been up there, at least with the 20 most wanted to rewatch on a reset memory.

Thing is there aren't too many good thrillers with that kind of mental twist. Stir of Echoes is another one. Not the best overall movie perhaps, but the psychological part was really working for me, and Kevin Bacon did a great performance(For instance the scene where he's digging in the garden is just hilarious). I know many will disagree with me, and I guess it's unfair because it's somewhat different genres, but I think thrillers like The 6th Sense and Seven are garbage compared to these two, and I would choose The Game, The Fourth Floor or even Flatliners before them any day.

It's more on the psychological side. The main characters identity is, let's just say unclear, with memory loss, intense flashbacks etc.That's the most intriguing part with the whole movie, at least to me. There are some less then brilliant moments here and there and things get a little mainstream action thriller towards the end, but overall I thought the movie was pretty damn great actually.
If you don't remember it then I highly recommend rewatching it. Especially if you're into smokeable enhancers. Been many years for me. I'm just waiting, in the hopes of forgetting the plot, so I'm actually pretty envious of you. If there was such a thing like what they did in Eternal Sunshine, only to forget movies instead of people, I would have strongly considered trying it, and for me The Long Kiss Goodnight would have been up there, at least with the 20 most wanted to rewatch on a reset memory.

Thing is there aren't too many good thrillers with that kind of mental twist. Stir of Echoes is another one. Not the best overall movie perhaps, but the psychological part was really working for me, and Kevin Bacon did a great performance(For instance the scene where he's digging in the garden is just hilarious). I know many will disagree with me, and I guess it's unfair because it's somewhat different genres, but I think thrillers like The 6th Sense and Seven are garbage compared to these two, and I would choose The Game, The Fourth Floor or even Flatliners before them any day.
I do have a vague idea of the plot, but I watched it as a kid with my father, so I have associations, rather than memories. I do get that one is kind of lucky to forget a good film.

I don’t fully agree re Seven vs things like The Game (I think Seven works very well as a thriller) but I do see your point. I’m very much into smokeable enhancers too (great term btw). And I feel the same about Lost Highway. Not top tier Lynch (I’ve just recently rewatched Blue Velvet), but despite its shortcomings, the central concept is just priceless. I always feel bad for the prison guard who finds
WARNING: spoilers below
a different guy in the cell
. Actually (I’ve written about this here before), one scene in Inland Empire where Nikky forgets she’s filming halfway through the scene has a similar psychedelic eerie flair.

Will definitely give Long Kiss Goodnight another go when I get the chance. Wasn’t a fan of Stir of Echoes from what I remember, but I might rewatch that too just to compare.

P.S. and it would be great to forget cultural experiences of all sorts, including books and music. I’d call the method something like ‘First Time Effect’.

On this one, nothing even comes to Mulholland Drive for me. I had to Google the meaning for it, the only movie I had to. There are a few others like it, but nothing quite like this movie. Enter the Void is also another one that comes to mind. Usual Suspects is a mind bender, but that is mostly because of the 180 degree twist in the end, not because the movie damaged my brain as such.

Triangle
Primer
Upstream Color
The Endless
The Machinist
Under the Silver Lake
Enemy
Pi
Coherence
The Signal
The One I Love
Donnie Darko
Holy Motors
Under the Skin
Synechdoche, New York
The Holy Mountain
11:14
A Field in England
The Fountain
Last Year in Marienbad
Identity

Unregistered User
Triangle
Primer
Upstream Color
The Endless
The Machinist
Under the Silver Lake
Enemy
Pi
Coherence
The Signal
The One I Love
Donnie Darko
Holy Motors
Under the Skin
Synechdoche, New York
The Holy Mountain
11:14
A Field in England
The Fountain
Last Year in Marienbad
Identity

Holy Mountain and Marienbad! Great call.

Uri Geller.

Oh wait, he was a spoonbender wasn't he

As you were, nothing to see here

TBH inception is like a cake walk if you compare it with Tenet....if you really want something to bend your mind ? watch tenet...thats complicated...inception is easy to follow...its mind bending for a 10 yr old kid.
No, thanks. From what I've read about Tenet, rather than watch it, I'd rather go to the dentist and get a cavity filled.

I don't know if it fits the category but for me Gummo was a really weird film. I'm not sure it had a real plot or what the point was exactly, but it did feel like my mind was being bent whilst watching it!

I won't lie, there were several things about Inception that I didn't understand, but I culdn't take my eyes off the screen.

You could knock off Inception for largely being a commercial, blockbuster (I personally love it), but you have to admire the concept of Inception. The way it is explained. For it to be simple and basic. For it to work. How a tiny idea can transform into something huge.

When you think about that, then you really have to admire the story.

You could knock off Inception for largely being a commercial, blockbuster
To be honest I found it disturbingly Ocean Eleveny if that makes sense. I don't have anything against Hollywood movies per say, but i absolutely can't stand that particular style, and whatever good story that is behind is usually ruined for me when they start pushing the handle in that direction, which they usually insist on doing, at least to some extent. The Matrix would be the obvious example of this done to death and back. There are off course many others, but Leonardo Di Caprio seems to be very comfortable in those kinds of movies, and I tend to avoid him because of that. Nicolas Cage is even worse.

The Sixth Sense
Se7en
Inception