What's everyone's top movies of 1980?

Tools    

I have to return some videotapes.
1. A Fish Called Wanda (1988)
2. Dead Calm (1989)
3. Mad Max 2 The Road Warrior (1981)
4. Rain Man (1988)
5. Die Hard (1988)
He meant 1980 only, but some good movies on there ^.

Just saw Inside Moves, great film, wasn't expecting it to be that good. These yearly favs threads are awesome. Watching Breaker Morant and Hollywood Knights soon.

Im trying to work my way through every film ever nominated at the Oscars for picture, directing, and lead and supporting actor/ actress. Because Im such an indecisive sod, I try and have 2 years to pick from at any given time to work through, so when Im in the mood for a film but dont know what to watch, I pick one from my Oscar list from that year. And 1980 is one of my current ones, just because I hadnt seen any of them until I started this. So far Ive watched Private Benjamin, Melvin & Howard, Coal Miner's Daughter, and last night I watched the Elephant Man. Loved them all to be honest, though the Elephant Man was definitely my favourite so far. Melvin & Howard summed up exactly why Im doing this little (massive...) project because I had honestly never even heard of it, and it was really difficult to find. Then I watched it and had no clue why it seems to be so...forgotten, because it was really really good. Still to watch on this year list Ive got Raging Bull, Inside Moves, the Stunt Man, Resurrection, Tess, Gloria, the Great Santini, Ordinary People, and Tribute. Tribute is actually the only one Im really struggling to get hold of, so if anyone can help with that (legally of course) then Id be grateful.

Other films from 1980 I love that arent in this Oscar list, 9 to 5, Superman 2, Airplane, and the Shining.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Im trying to work my way through every film ever nominated at the Oscars for picture, directing, and lead and supporting actor/ actress. Because Im such an indecisive sod, I try and have 2 years to pick from at any given time to work through, so when Im in the mood for a film but dont know what to watch, I pick one from my Oscar list from that year. And 1980 is one of my current ones, just because I hadnt seen any of them until I started this. So far Ive watched Private Benjamin, Melvin & Howard, Coal Miner's Daughter, and last night I watched the Elephant Man. Loved them all to be honest, though the Elephant Man was definitely my favourite so far. Melvin & Howard summed up exactly why Im doing this little (massive...) project because I had honestly never even heard of it, and it was really difficult to find. Then I watched it and had no clue why it seems to be so...forgotten, because it was really really good. Still to watch on this year list Ive got Raging Bull, Inside Moves, the Stunt Man, Resurrection, Tess, Gloria, the Great Santini, Ordinary People, and Tribute. Tribute is actually the only one Im really struggling to get hold of, so if anyone can help with that (legally of course) then Id be grateful.

Other films from 1980 I love that arent in this Oscar list, 9 to 5, Superman 2, Airplane, and the Shining.

Is this the movie Tribute that you're looking for?

Is this the movie Tribute that you're looking for?

You utter legend! Thank you!

I think it would have annoyed me more if I could get hold of all but one, rather than missing a couple! Thank you so much!

HM: The Long Good Friday, The Fog, The Elephant Man, The Shining, Breaker Morant, Kagemusha, Lion of the Desert, The Blue Lagoon, Urban Cowboy, Return to the 36th Chamber, The Final Countdown, Friday the 13th, Somewhere in Time

10. Used Cars Robert Zemeckis
9. Shogun Assassin Robert Houston, Kenji Misumi
8. Airplane! Jerry Zucker, Jim Abrahams
7. Flash Gordon Mike Hodges
6. Superman II Richard Lester
5. Stir Crazy Sidney Poitier
4. Dressed to Kill Brian De Palma
3. Inside Moves Richard Donner
2. The Empire Strikes Back Irvin Kershner
1. Raging Bull Martin Scorsese

Re-watch/Watch-list: Nine to Five, Altered States, Berlin Alexanderplatz, Inferno, Babylon, Virus, Melvin and Howard, Gloria, Out of the Blue, Brubaker, The Stunt Man, Heaven’s Gate, Ordinary People, The Long Riders, The Ninth Configuration

10. Altered States

9. Maniac

8. The Changeling

7. Ordinary People

6. Motel Hell

5. Airplane!

4. Raging Bull

3. The Gods Must Be Crazy

2. Caddyshack

1. The Empire Strikes Back

hm: 9 to 5, Friday the 13th, The Elephant Man, Flash Gordon, Prom Night, Midnight Madness, My Bodyguard

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Very good, but the correct answer was...

Damn 1980 was a strong year, I'd be hard pressed to choose between;

Empire Strikes Back
Raging Bull
The Long Good Friday
The Shining