Is Quentin Tarantino One Of The 10 Best Directors Of All-Time?

Tools    

Is Quentin Tarantino A Top Ten Director?
24.35%
28 votes
Yes
54.78%
63 votes
No
20.87%
24 votes
Maybe One Day
115 votes. You may not vote on this poll

I admire his ability to show the middle finger to the conventional norms of story telling. There is no fixed formula or length to his scenes. It works sometimes and doesn't on the others. And he comes across as indulgent on few occasions.

I love his dialogues though. He is one of the few filmmakers out there who can make long, pointless conversations interesting.

He's OK, but really, I like his movies, but great doesn't come to mind for me. Somehow, he got labelled as great so art-house fans have an excuse to see an action movie. That adds to his reputation and, more importantly, to his box office receipts. Since then, it seems like that took on a life of its own so now, you can probably take a course on him in film school and spend a couple weeks studying why Reservoir Dogs is a great(?) movie.

I voted 'yes' I think he's quite unique which is always good but I agree some of his stuff is very over-rated. Having said that it's good to see someone push the envelope at times and do different stuff. Some of his later films haven't been as good though. I don't think he's the best though by some way.

I will give him this though....his movies will stand the test of time. His movies are unique in their own way....there are lot of directors not worthy making movies with if an actor's goal is to make a movie for ages...even movies like out of africa will be forgotten. But he skillfully developed his brand and legacy and that will carry his movies across generations...its precisely the reason we still remember hitchcock where as a lot of other directors who beat him at the oscars and won 2 or even 3 best directors oscars are forgotten.

Some of his films are really cool, brilliant. In some plans he surpassed others, but his films are specific, they will not "go" to everyone. I prefer Darren Aronofsky's films. For example, "Black Swan" I reviewed 6 times. It is so mystical, a little creepy, but attractive.

I voted no.

In no particular order, in terms of directors who knock/ed it out of the park every time they got in the director's chair, here's my 10 directors who are better than Tarantino:

Scorsese
Hitchcock
Kubrick
Coppola
Lynch
Nolan
Fincher
Verhoeven
Paul Thomas Anderson
Coen Brothers

You’re the disease, and I’m the cure.
mixed bag for me on his films, he has great movies, but I don't see them all as Oscar worthy, some are very over analyzed I feel.

I voted no.

In no particular order, in terms of directors who knock/ed it out of the park every time they got in the director's chair, here's my 10 directors who are better than Tarantino:

Scorsese
Hitchcock
Kubrick
Coppola
Lynch
Nolan
Fincher
Verhoeven
Paul Thomas Anderson
Coen Brothers
Surprised to see Verhoeven here. I agree he’s been great recently - Elle and Black Book are fantastic, but some of the early stuff like Showgirls... something in me just doesn’t believe him when he says it’s a satire.

something in me just doesn’t believe him when he says it’s a satire.
Calling a movie a satire is an easier way to get people to treat it as an Oscar worthy film.

Surprised to see Verhoeven here. I agree he’s been great recently - Elle and Black Book are fantastic, but some of the early stuff like Showgirls... something in me just doesn’t believe him when he says it’s a satire.
Showgirls is a movie you have to watch with your tongue firmly in your cheek.
Thing is, Verhoeven is also the first person to ever show up in person to collect his Razzie and nobody, not even the Razzies, realised he was mocking them.

You should watch some of PV's early stuff from 71 to 85 before he moved to Hollywood and made RoboCop.

Showgirls is a movie you have to watch with your tongue firmly in your cheek.
Thing is, Verhoeven is also the first person to ever show up in person to collect his Razzie and nobody, not even the Razzies, realised he was mocking them.

You should watch some of PV's early stuff from 71 to 85 before he moved to Hollywood and made RoboCop.
I really should! Don’t think I ever got around to RoboCop, either, but I seem to remember my father loves it. Early stuff on my list now.

I really should! Don’t think I ever got around to RoboCop, either, but I seem to remember my father loves it. Early stuff on my list now.
Watch it! It's an 80's essential.

I wouldn't say Showgirls is early Verhoeven. He was already 20-25 years into his filmmaking career when it was made.

But you don't believe it's satire despite the 3 films preceding and 2 that came after all being satires/commentaries on specific ideas in popular American commerce and culture — which are also the only films he made during his time working in Hollywood aside from his first English film (Flesh+Blood)?

Calling a movie a satire is an easier way to get people to treat it as an Oscar worthy film.
IIRC Verhoeven, nor the film's press material, never promoted it as a satire before/during release. Just like his other 5 big hollywood features.

Do you not remember when Starship Troopers released and the vast majority of reviewers seemed to be completely ignorant of its blatant satirical intent? Then years later the film press tried to re-introduce it as a "widely misunderstood classic," even though they were the ones who misunderstood it originally, and are responsible for the spread of that misunderstanding?

I wouldn't say Showgirls is early Verhoeven. He was already 20-25 years into his filmmaking career when it was made.
That is a fair point, and I agree. But I find everything that comes pre-21st century very different to Black Book and Elle, and that’s what I meant. Strictly speaking, he probably has three distinct phases.

But you don't believe it's satire despite the 3 films preceding and 2 that came after all being satires/commentaries on specific ideas in popular American commerce and culture — which are also the only films he made during his time working in Hollywood aside from his first English film (Flesh+Blood)?
It’s just a personal opinion, I always felt it was a case of something being labelled a satire post-factum - which is indeed not hard for him to do, as he’d made them before. Showgirls is often inadvertently funny, but I think it’s a bit like The Martian winning the Golden Globe for Best Comedy - that doesn’t mean it’s actually a satire, or that The Martian was intended to be a comedy.
I don’t have any problem with people who do feel it’s a satire, I just disagree.

IIRC Verhoeven, nor the film's press material, never promoted it as a satire before/during release. Just like his other 5 big hollywood features.

Do you not remember when Starship Troopers released and the vast majority of reviewers seemed to be completely ignorant of its blatant satirical intent? Then years later the film press tried to re-introduce it as a "widely misunderstood classic," even though they were the ones who misunderstood it originally, and are responsible for the spread of that misunderstanding?
He should’ve marketed it as a satire, I never realized Robocop was one when I was a kid, I thought it was a fun action movie and still is.