Things that annoy you...

Tools    

I'm annoyed! at myself!!!

I was messing around with Firefox's about:config and messed up the browser so had to reinstall a fresh copy...Now I have to spend countless time re-configuring it, errrgh!

I'm annoyed! at myself!!!

I was messing around with Firefox's about:config and messed up the browser so had to reinstall a fresh copy...Now I have to spend countless time re-configuring it, errrgh!
Double OUCH! Good luck, my man.

Walking through a bad neighborhood the other day & saw a hand-painted sign: ABOLISH THE POLICE!

Yet the first number dialed if anyone is in trouble out there (and I know they will be) is 911.

When people send their spouse/significant other to bring in a pet to be seen, then call us later all upset about how much we charged/what we did when everything that was done was explained to the person who was actually present at the appointment AND we gave an estimate which the person who was present authorized.

Saw a client's new puppy and their older dog three days ago for vaccines. Husband brought the dogs in (they didn't bother to even schedule an appointment for the older dog, just showed up with it, btw). We explained to him our recommended vaccine and parasite prevention protocol for puppies (taking into account the vaccines already given by the breeder) and put together a package of services for the puppy (including all of the remaining recommended vaccines, fecal testing, flea control, and heartworm prevention), which the husband agreed to purchase. He paid for the full package as well as for the services we did for the older dog. Wife called today and was livid about how much we charged her husband and how the breeder had said the dog already had two shots and as a breeder they know what they're talking about.

Yeah, because somehow breeders are more knowledgeable about medical care for dogs than a veterinarian. Or something. Oh, yeah, and about 30% of what the husband paid was for the vaccines and the exam we did for the other dog.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
socks =\

socks annoy me very much. I wear them, but I hate them with all of my heart.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

socks =\

I like socks, except for the fact that mine constantly go missing. I think my dryer is eating them.

Socks are like sex: tons of it about but I never seem to get any.

socks =\

I love socks, but hate ones that don't stay up.
I actually have a fetish where I want over-the-calf tube socks - but they've got to stay up under even the most strenuous activity! (It's hard to find all these qualities in a sock).
But then I can't wear over-the-calf tube socks with shorts (or else I look like Captain Stubing!)
I hate ones that have a seam that comes together at the big toe - and it all bunches up inside your shoe!
Socks - it's a love / hate relationship.

People who make no acknowledgement when you say hello to them or acknowledge them.

As a daily walker and regular dog walker, I pass a lot of people - I try to say hello to them (or just give a hey, how you doin'?, what's up?). Sometimes I'll just give a nod and a smile - it's like today's tip of the hat. To runners and bikers, I'll sometimes put my hand up - like "peace, my brother or sister!" (from them I don't usually expect any response because bikers have to keep both hands on the handle bars and runners are often in the zone).

But when people don't answer back or even acknowledge then there's all this awkwardness - did they not hear me? Should I say it again?

Even just a nod is fine with me, but just nothing leaves me in a quandary: maybe they don't speak English? Maybe they're deaf? Maybe they're blind? Maybe they think I want to start a conversation even though I'm passing them and right now's not a good time? Maybe they think I'm a psycho-killer and if they respond I will stalk them as my next victim?

Too many thoughts that could easily be prevented by a nod, a wave, a "hey," or whatever... just something... anything.

What's really awkward is another dog-walker who, after you say hello or make a cute comment about your dog or their dog, they say absolutely nothing - most other dog-walkers are more than willing to engage, but for the ones who don't... you'd think there'd be some comradery or common ground with fellow dog-walkers.

People who make no acknowledgement when you say hello to them or acknowledge them.
I'm the opposite. I hate the societal obligation to acknowledge people. Sometimes I just want to be in my own little damn world and not say a word or make eye contact with anyone.

I also hate that when I fail to acknowledge people (because I am lost in my own little world, usually with ear buds in and loud music playing), they feel the need to bring it up to me later on like I give a **** or owe them something. "I saw you at ______. I said 'hello' but you didn't say hi back."

There's one client where I work who actually complained to my manager because I didn't say hello to her when she saw me at Walmart. Yeah. At Walmart. On my day off. She said that I was "unfriendly" and had "snubbed" her. I didn't say hello back because I didn't see her or hear her. Because I was listening to music and was focused on shopping. On my day off. At a place other than where I work.

I'm the opposite. I hate the societal obligation to acknowledge people. Sometimes I just want to be in my own little damn world and not say a word or make eye contact with anyone.

I also hate that when I fail to acknowledge people (because I am lost in my own little world, usually with ear buds in and loud music playing), they feel the need to bring it up to me later on like I give a **** or owe them something. "I saw you at ______. I said 'hello' but you didn't say hi back."

There's one client where I work who actually complained to my manager because I didn't say hello to her when she saw me at Walmart. Yeah. At Walmart. On my day off. She said that I was "unfriendly" and had "snubbed" her. I didn't say hello back because I didn't see her or hear her. Because I was listening to music and was focused on shopping. On my day off. At a place other than where I work.
A lot of it depends on the person's activity and/or body language. Like I said, joggers & bike riders I wouldn't acknowledge unless say they were making eye contact as they approached, then they might get a wave of acknowledgment.

If someone has earbuds and is staring down at the ground, or appears to be lost in thought, or on their phone, etc., I wouldn't try to say hello - their body language is saying they want to be alone.

I've also learned as a middle-aged man not to speak to young or teenaged girls - they never take it well and look at you like you're some kind of rapist.

The awkwardness arises as a person is looking at you, and you nod or say "hey" and they just keep staring - that's when it's creepy.

This brings up the "platinum rule" - the "golden rule" is do unto others as you would have them do unto you, but the platinum rule is a bit more intuitive - it's do unto others as THEY would have you do unto them. The problem is the platinum rule may be different for everyone and may fluctuate based on a person's mood or circumstances.

Yeah, because somehow breeders are more knowledgeable about medical care for dogs than a veterinarian.
Yeah, right. That must be why so many sick dogs are sold by breeders. Them being medical professionals & all.

I actually have a fetish where I want over-the-calf tube socks - but they've got to stay up under even the most strenuous activity! (It's hard to find all these qualities in a sock).
I always wear over-the-calf men’s tube socks. (Hanes IIRC.) When I wear shorts I roll them down, but, for colder weather they stay up. I absolutely hate fancy socks for running/walking. Waste of money. I love my tube socks.

I would say the majority of people acknowledge me in some way on my daily walk. In fact, I have made countless good friends over the many years I have been walking. Everyone drives here & many people are intrigued by seeing me walk all over town. (Connecticut folks are very sedentary.)

I do think strangers are more friendly to women than men. I doubt very much that anyone would acknowledge my husband if he were out for a jog. A lot of people I meet because of their dogs. There’s no icebreaker better than walking a dog & I can’t resist playing with the various dogs I encounter.

Maybe half the time I pass by someone walking in the opposite direction I make effort to acknowledge their presence. I think I'm too buried in my earbuds too to really care though. IF I make a gesture it would be like a two-handed finger gun shoot with maybe a *tick tick* of the mouth to provide the sound effects of shooting the person down. I might offer a wink just to make sure they know that I'm only teasing and that I wouldn't really gun them down in the canned food aisle. There's always that subtle smirk too that I give, as if to append my original winking message with, "... though I wouldn't REALLY gun you down here, in the canned food aisle, if'n I catch you in the produce area all bets are off, pard'ner." Or I say, "mornin'" when it's clearly afternoon or later.

I might offer a wink just to make sure they know that I'm only teasing...
Hmmm, sometimes men who wink can be a tad creepy.

Hmmm, sometimes men who wink can be a tad creepy.
But my winks, if they come at all, are paired with two hand pretend firearms and clicks. I try to push right past the creepy threshold and square into ludicrous speed.

Yeah, you wouldn't like me in the morning.. I just usually want to be the f*** left alone.. We have a group chat and my manager says hello to whoever starts their shift at that time. I just don't answer or if I do.. I just say its not a good day for hi

Yeah, you wouldn't like me in the morning.. I just usually want to be the f*** left alone.. We have a group chat and my manager says hello to whoever starts their shift at that time. I just don't answer or if I do.. I just say its not a good day for hi
I'm the same way in the morning. People have suggested I exercise in the morning - I'm in a coma. (I call it "morning comatosis" - the period between getting out of bed and the 2nd cup of coffee.)

This is why I go walking at night!