Lets Talk Football

Tools    

And once again I feel football exists just to mock those of us stupid enough to try and predict it.

Not that they didn't deserve to win, but it could've been a different story but for two things. Firstly, and most importantly, what happened in the Inter dressing room at half time? Because that wasn't the same team which went in. Seville were on top the entire second half. I think Conte should've acted much quicker than he did as if was obvious what was in the offing. Unlike Ole at United, it's not as if he's got nothing on the bench.

Also, I don't think I was alone in thinking that the football Gods might be with Seville again after 10 minutes when Carlos was inexplicably IMO, not sent off in giving away the penalty. Naturally he scored the winner (ok, it was an OG but he shouldn't have been there to begin with. Also could've gone for a second yellow 'handball' on another day) all that after Luke De Jong scores twice. Yes, really. Luke De Jong. Wonderful game to watch though.

But I'm hoping for even better tonight. I think this is the most excited I've been for a CL final which didn't involve United. It really should be entertaining. And, because I'm a football fan and haven't learned my lesson, I'm going to tempt the Gods once more and go Bayern.

It's been such a weird year though that my sporting superstitious side says it's PSG. Neymar hasn't been really annoying for the last couple of games and has been acting not only like a grown up but a bit of a leader and, as such, might be the deciding factor? But I'm going to ignore that (much like I did Seville lol) and say the Germans won't let me down.

There are so many narratives in this game that it'd take too long to name each match up and theory, so I'll just go with one. Should one side decide not to do what they normally do, they'll be the one which loses. The main tells for me will be if PSG play counter attack or Bayern drop their infamous high line.

Having said all that, I've probably jinxed it, so sit back and enjoy a dull 1-0 because both teams change their style.

Two bets to avoid tonight:
Bayern to win 3-1
Thomas Muller to score 1st goal

Can't say you weren't warned

Having said all that, I've probably jinxed it, so sit back and enjoy a dull 1-0 because both teams change their style.
Well, it wasn't exactly dull and only one of them changed their style, but 1-0 is was.

Nice to see I got something right though, the team which changed how they play were beaten. That said, I thought PSG played in a manner I didn't think they could and did it very well, too. In the first half, at least. Were it not for yet more wayward finishing by all of their front three it could've been a very different game. That, or Bayern would've just gone up a gear or two and won anyway. I did get the feeling that, if they'd had to, Bayern would've been sharper and their final ball better. The final ball was poor throughout except the one time it wasn't, which is when they scored.

Herr Flick played it perfectly. A slight tweak of the plan with Davis holding back just a little to cover Di Maria and bringing Coman in for Perisic to have the right back on toast all game. Thomas Tuchel should be congratulated too. Although he changed the style of play, but for poor finishing, I could've been completely wrong about changing styles and people would be calling him the next coming.

Well,, that's that done. Now I can get back to getting frustrated with Ed Woodward thinking he's going to save a couple of quid, not doing it and paying full price 2 months later. Although the way things seem to be going, even that's not going to happen. Brooks rather than Sancho? Even as someone who doesn't think that Sancho should be the focus, if he thinks Brooks is of the same quality as Sancho then he knows even less about football than I thought he did.

It's kicking off, @honeykid.

Messi has submitted a fax to the board, asking to leave. Apparently had a clause in his contract, where he could have left for free before June 10th. Now that clause has expired, and his release clause is 700 mil.

I still think he won't leave, but this drama is entertaining.

I know it sounds obvious, but it depends on what he wants. I think the easiest thing is go to PSG. You don't have to worry about the league, he'll be playing with Neymar (and Di Maria though I don't know if they get on or not) and maybe he'd be the final piece of the puzzle to win the CL. Of course, Neymar looked a lot happier in France this season and it is why he moved in the first place, so he might not want Messi turning up and winning the CL, as it'll be seen as Messi who did it.

City seems the most obvious place for him. They have the money and they have Pep. The team plays in a way which he'll be very comfortable with and I think they're likely to win the CL in the next couple of seasons, which is about what he has left.

United are the other main player, IMO. He'd be Woodward's wet dream and the rest of the money men would love it too. But he'd have to play up top (surely) if Ole wants to keep playing the way he has. But if you can get someone like Messi, you change your plans.

I know there's talk of Inter and they say the money is there, but again, he'd have to play up front (although he'd be along side Lukaku which may work better than on his own) and there were already rumours of Inter having talks with his representatives. Lastly Bayern, who I suspect have both the money and the status but the German's don't like to break wage structures and are sticklers for things like FFP (unlike certain other clubs) so that's somewhere I'd expect to give him nothing but wishful glances.

In my dreams, he goes to Juve to play with Ronaldo or United and, while I think only one of those is pure fantasy, I think the other is behind at least two options.

I don't know if the story has moved on or not, but I heard that Messi's people were claiming that, although the deadline for a free transfer has passed, it'd be extended because Covid meant that things weren't as usual (or something like that.) I don't think it'll hold any water, but if he's able to move without a transfer fee, then that means more clubs will have a chance.

Hilarious bits from the Messi saga.

Barca have sacked their lawyers (law firm) after they discovered that the same firm advised Messi how to leave the club. I am also seeing some reports that Messi could buy-out his contract for 52 Millions, which is peanuts for City's owners.

La Liga are understandably supporting Barca. They don't want to lose their prime asset after losing Ronaldo to Italy.

@honeykid top signing in Van de Beek.
Don't really like Thiago rumours with United. Don't know how true they are, or whether they are just Bayern's attempt to increase his price.

I think Van De Beek is an excellent signing, @WrinkledMind and a very good price too in today's market, IMO.

Not sure about the Thiago rumours. Personally I think it's Bayern trying to get bidders for a 29 year old in his last year. That's not a sellers market. And I'm sure United would like to get Liverpool to pay a bit more too, just to make trouble. But if the interest is real, it's difficult to turn a player like that down with what United are trying to accomplish this season. Both seems too much, but I think they're looking at Pogba (who may well start making eyes at Real again for next season and has had some long lay offs in his time at United) as well as strength in depth, which is where United are light years behind City and Liverpool (and possibly Chelsea too after this transfer window?)

If we get both (just as a for instance) then Fred, McTomminay and Matic become squad players, which will help Ole rotate the midfield (something which he obviously wasn't comfortable with after the restart) and keep the key men in better shape.

Still think Sancho or Grealish will come this summer, unless they feel confident they can wait until next summer and Sancho won't go elsewhere.

Nice to see United being linked with Dayot Upamecano. I was very late to this player, only really noticing him in the last few weeks (the game against Atleti was immense) so I've tried not to jump on the bandwagon. However, having read and listened to a few pundits/journalists who I think know what they're talking about I'm all in. £60m-£80m? Get it done otherwise next season we'll be competing against many others and paying a lot more and if it drags on this summer someone else might take a bite.

The Van De Beek signing has shown that, contrary to all previous attempts, Woodward can actually get a deal done pretty quickly when he just pays what's being asked (though I accept that Ajax have been prepared to lose him to someone this summer) and now I expect it to happen again.

Have Everton just signed a discarded diamond or an overvalued zircon which briefly fooled the football world? Either way, £20m isn't much of a risk, though I've no idea what the wages are. They won't be cheap, that's for sure. Evertonians will be hoping Ancelotti is the man who gets him playing, unlike those since he left.

Personally, I think it's worth the risk. Especially for the top 6 position which Everton are surely aiming for? Along with Allen and Doucoure, the names on the shirts suggest a talented midfield, but one over which all the parts have question marks.

I don't think Doucoure has a previous link with Ancelloti, but the other two do. What do you think of managers bringing in players from previous teams they've managed?

@Doolallyfrank thoughts on Amazon documentary? You too @honeykid

I am 4 episodes in, and I am slightly disappointed. I hoped to see a bit of Pochettino's final days and a little more drama.

There is a wide gap in quality between Netflix's Sunderland documentary and Amazon's series on City and Tottenham.

On a side note, they allowed zillion f bombs, but they muted the c-word. I thought that was funny.

EDIT: Watched episode 5. Got my drama.

Not seen any of it. These kind of football fly on the wall docs don't do anything for me.

Even the granddaddy of them all didn't really appeal much, apart from the surreal comedy aspect of it.

@Doolallyfrank thoughts on Amazon documentary? You too @honeykid

I am 4 episodes in, and I am slightly disappointed. I hoped to see a bit of Pochettino's final days and a little more drama.

There is a wide gap in quality between Netflix's Sunderland documentary and Amazon's series on City and Tottenham.

On a side note, they allowed zillion f bombs, but they muted the c-word. I thought that was funny.

EDIT: Watched episode 5. Got my drama.

I'm loving it! Hating the fact that it's making me warm to Mourinho but loving soooooo many things.
Jose and Dier talking in Portuguese
Danny Rose's meeting
Seeing the Eriksen stuff from his point of view

It was a strange season to say the least, looking forward to the Covid stuff (which with the injuries we had was almost a blessing)

@honeykid fair enough.

@Doolallyfrank
The transfer insight was brilliant. How they handled two different players in different ways. I was amused by Jose taunting Rose to 'Go on, open up to Levy' when the latter said (or rather gave a subtle threat) that he would talk to Levy.

@honeykid fair enough.

@Doolallyfrank
The transfer insight was brilliant. How they handled two different players in different ways. I was amused by Jose taunting Rose to 'Go on, open up to Levy' when the latter said (or rather gave a subtle threat) that he would talk to Levy.

I really like Danny Rose, he's always been a warrior for us, but he has this cloud of "mental health" hanging over him. But I'd rather have someone like him than someone like Assou-Ekotto who only saw it as a job and didn't really care about football.
I always regarded Eriksen as a model professional, but after hearing him talk about his situation, it's like he almost sees himself as an object of value, cant be healthy for the mind surely?

TLDR, I think Eriksen is more bonkers than Rose

Were Spurs tired or have they already downed tools for Mou? Son and Kane in particular just didn't look interested and, as MotD2 showed repeatedly, James was allowed to just walk around as he pleased with no pressure at all.

If we get Bale instead of Sancho, Woodward should be sacked on the spot. Obviously he won't be, otherwise he wouldn't still be there, but he should be. If this was anyone else but Woodward at United I wouldn't even finish reading the sentence.

What about everyone else? What did you think of the opening weekend?

Slightly worried about our slump of sorts. We are just looking a bit stale. Though we are lucky to have that front three, cause only one of them needs to have a good day. We do need a new player (yeah, Thiago would be nice), though Minamino and Keita, both of whom have looked good in preseason, could solve that. Or maybe even young Curtis Jones. But all our potential recrutiments depend on whether we would be able to sell Origi, Brewster, Wilson and Grujic.

Everton and Wolves(minus Europe) would be my dark horses to break into the top 4.

Woodward reminds me of Ian Ayre - great at closing in commercial deals but shocking at completing transfers. In some cases Ayre even screwed up straight forward transfers. We really started improving in that department once we appointed Michael Edwards as our Sporting Director. Manchester United desperately need one.

there's a frog in my snake oil
Were Spurs tired or have they already downed tools for Mou? Son and Kane in particular just didn't look interested and, as MotD2 showed repeatedly, James was allowed to just walk around as he pleased with no pressure at all.

If we get Bale instead of Sancho, Woodward should be sacked on the spot. Obviously he won't be, otherwise he wouldn't still be there, but he should be. If this was anyone else but Woodward at United I wouldn't even finish reading the sentence.

Properly dire opener wasn’t it. I don’t think I saw a lack of zeal exactly (see Kane’s run that Son didn’t use, and the flash of anger). And can’t really pin it on the new signings exactly (who worked their socks off), as Everton also had new boots affecting midfield. Doherty was playing super high up the right though, and I wonder if they’ve got the balance right there yet.

Lots of players showing their worst sides though for sure (side-pass Winks, aimless Dele), and subs not really getting their pistons firing (Sissoko, N’Dombele). The steady beat of those substitutions muddled that midfield wall further in the end.

Whatever happened, it was a super flat performance, and felt like Mou’s tedious absorb-and-break tactics got rumbled overall.

Maybe it’s all just documentary hangover

All I know is, I totally welcome today’s chat of Bale being nearly over the line for a loan move

I think we need a silly season, and a dour start turning into a retro goal shower would be proper Spursy

(Not that Mou will let us that have much fun, but Bale might liven things up around the place )

It's odd. I think Bale is a massive risk and one I wouldn't think worth taking for most clubs which could afford him, but for Spurs it doesn't feel that way. Maybe it's because I genuinely believe Levy has been told to make Spurs a global club which can then be sold for huge money and signing Bale would continue this (after Mourinho joining (which only makes sense to me in this context) and the documentary) and, that being the case, even if it doesn't work out it's still in their interests to get it done. If he manages to stay fit and play well then magnificent, Spurs will have a world class player which will raise morale in the dressing room and relieve some of the pressure from Kane who, let's not forget, has his own issues with fitness and injury. If it doesn't then people will know who Spurs are because he's failing at Spurs and, as I said, I think this is all about raising the brand.

This weekend I learned why United haven't bought Jadon Sancho yet. Or, at least, I put 1 and 1 together, but I'm not sure if I got 2 or 2.5.

https://www.buccaneers.com/tombrady

I'm guessing he didn't go cheaply and we know that the Glazers use United as a cash cow to fund other businesses in their 'Empire' as well as costing us over £1bn since they took over. Combine that will Woodward and I can't see it happening.

Good work by Arsenal for managing to sell their back up keeper for £17m just because he had some good games at the end of last season having had him for 10 years. I keep expecting Chelsea to do the same with their young players who were part of the squad last season but they haven't yet. Maybe the market just won't support the ridiculous fee they'll expect for a British player with league experience this summer?

Lastly, it looks as if Macclesfield Town have gone. I know the Premier League is the be all and end all for many of us (and I don't claim to be any different) but I still find it sad that these old football clubs (146 years for Macclesfield) are in danger and/or going out of business because of bad ownership more than anything else.

Kane still isn't fully fit, 4 years ago he would chase everything and they would press as a unit but that hasn't been the case for the past 2 seasons (ish)
He's not fit because he wants to play every game (not that we have any kind of stand in at the moment anyway) so he's his own worst enemy, he needs a rest ffs