Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Jellykettu [Jallikattu] (Lijo Jose Pelliserry, 2019)

Wrestles more with what it wants to be than the buffalo central to the plot and title

Even Dwarfs Started Small (1970, Werner Herzog)

Wow, what an uniquely surreal, subversive and hellishly hilarious piece of filmmaking. Some of the most indelible imagery I've ever witnessed in a film (that driverless car running endlessly in a circle is such an ever-relevant metaphor). And don't even get me started on Helmut Doring's laugh - damn.

Watched "It". 7.5/10

AVA (2020)

It's the kind of movie you know you've seen before. Action scenes are ok, story is super cliché, acting is mediocre

Unregistered User
Definitely a marmite movie. I quite enjoyed it, because it at least tried to be a bit novel. I think I read that the Director's son tried to make a sequel.

Without doubt. It got slightly better for me but that probably only tells you how much I hated it to begin with lol

Unregistered User
I also liked it, but it feels like something that would work better as a stage play.

I love that it was able to keep a straight face, especially during the
WARNING: spoilers below
"Oh, yeah, I was Jesus."
reveal.

you can only imagine my reaction to that part

Unregistered User
I like The Man from Earth. It's one of those rare movies that doesn't rely on action sequences and special effects to hold your interest. It's just several people in a room having an interesting conversation.

There is a sequel to The Man from Earth. It's called The Man from Earth: Holocene (2017), and it was written by the original writer's son. The original writer was Jerome Bixby, and the sequel was written by Richard Schenkman and Emerson Bixby.

I haven't seen the sequel, but I've read that it's not as good as the original movie.

Yeah, I had no problem with the setting. It was everything else, like literally everything else. I meant to add to previous post about sequel, I did see it advertised at the end of the first film. I'll probably be giving it a miss.

Glad you enjoyed it though, I know its highly rated on IMDB so obviously has its fans (even if they're wrong)

1st Re-watch...a haunting and unconventional love story that I think I enjoyed more the second around. The story contains a couple of very convenient plot contrivances. but the exceptional performances by Josh Brolin and Kate Winslet allow the viewer to forgive said contrivances.

Yeah, I guess I'm just not a huge fan of the "spooky stories to share around the campfire" construct, at least in this particular instance.

Btw that final climactic sequence, where the dream goes into overdrive in confusion and intensity (as they often do during REM sleep), with the characters of all the episodes coming together in a nightmarish whirlwind was pretty well done.
I mean, I've watched quite a few horror anthology movies, and I thought that Dead of Night's wraparound and over all structure is one of the best.

Watch it again, this time knowing that
he's already been through the evening many times before

At any price (2012)

Workaday drama with a great point. Dennis Quaid is impressive and I wish he had more roles like this....fleshed out. Man can act.

Took your suggestion and watched AAP last night. As you noted, it was really singularly D. Quaid's movie, and he was outstanding! The feel put me in mind a little of the play Death of a Salesman, although there have been many dramas that touch on these themes.

I thought the other adult actors did nice work, and the erstwhile girlfriend was fair (Maika Monroe). But the son --played by Zac Efron-- was either poorly written, badly miscast, or he's not much of an actor. He did okay in the racing situations, but he didn't have the heft for the dramatic portions.

It was nice to see the Iowa farming community represented respectfully, and cinematographer Michael Simmonds did a lovely job of showcasing the beauty of the area.

Very enjoyable film, but had a few significant flaws. Cheers! ~Doc

I mean, I've watched quite a few horror anthology movies, and I thought that Dead of Night's wraparound and over all structure is one of the best.
Agreed, it was very well done. As I said, I liked the film overall - I may have some personal quibbles with it that you don't have but that's ok.

'Code Unknown' (2000)

I can imagine the 'Everything Now' generation tearing their hair out at the end of this film. If they even made it to the end. This is one of the best hyperlink films I've seen in which a series of short scenes based around 4 or 5 characters unfolds that are linked by their actions. Haneke even gave the film a sub title called 'Incomplete Tales of Several Journeys'. And the incompleteness might infuriate some but also forces the viewer to ask questions of the incompleteness. In that sense this is arthouse cinema at it's purest. Some of the acting is incredible. Each vignette is seemingly shot in one take, which must have taken days.

The themes of racism, immigration, social decay and the lack of communication are prevalent, and Haneke also seems to be asking the viewer if some people might not behave the way they do if they were just given a bit of affection in their life. Either way, Haneke is a master and this film is brilliant.

Unregistered User
The mini-series, right? I thought it was very interesting sci-fi. And I thought that the soundtrack selections were excellent.

The very one. Looking back, I probably should have rated it higher, I really enjoyed it. Yep best part in whole series was the scene with John Martyn playing in the background! Remember?

Unregistered User
'Code Unknown' (2000)

I can imagine the 'Everything Now' generation tearing their hair out at the end of this film. If they even made it to the end. This is one of the best hyperlink films I've seen in which a series of short scenes based around 4 or 5 characters unfolds that are linked by their actions. Haneke even gave the film a sub title called 'Incomplete Tales of Several Journeys'. And the incompleteness might infuriate some but also forces the viewer to ask questions of the incompleteness. In that sense this is arthouse cinema at it's purest. Some of the acting is incredible. Each vignette is seemingly shot in one take, which must have taken days.

The themes of racism, immigration, social decay and the lack of communication are prevalent, and Haneke also seems to be asking the viewer if some people might not behave the way they do if they were just given a bit of affection in their life. Either way, Haneke is a master and this film is brilliant.

Need to watch this one again. My least favourite Haneke, I just couldn't get into it at all.