23rd MoFo Hall of Fame

Tools    

Al-Mummia

I can't pretend to say that there wasn't any difficulty in watching this. Being my first Egyptian film it was really hard for me to get a grasp on it, I often had to rewatch scenes that I had just seen and look up what was happening. And then, still sometimes I wouldn't understand.

Things like this as a film viewer can frustrate me, and ultimately they do affect how I feel about a film overall.

I liked the way the camera moved. There were a lot of great shots, particularly that one that was overhead. And the production sets were really cool and you could tell a lot of time was taken into the making of the film. Overall Egyptian culture has been something that has fascinated me so it's a shame I couldn't find that connection to the film.

I'll chalk this one up to me just not getting it as to why I don't like it overall. Kind of reminds me of how I felt when I saw Wadjda years ago. Maybe I'll feel different down the road. Sorry for such a bad and vague review, but it's really all I got.

Whenever that happens to me I'll read the plot from Wiki up to the point of the movie where I'm at.

I watched the first 10 minutes of The Mummy but stopped as the sub titles were way off sync.

In those 10 minutes I'm thinking that I know what's going on, maybe. It's the story of looters robbing graves of ancient Egyptian artifacts...and Egyptian antiquities officials trying to stop them....and in the middle is a mysterious religious sect that has the secret to the hidden ancient tombs and protects them from all outsiders...which includes the looters and the Cairo museum officials.

I might be totally wrong! and I haven't read a thing about the movie, so I guess I'll find out what's what. Oh and I just fixed the subs and they're synced up now, so I hope to watch this next.

Let the night air cool you off
I watched the first 10 minutes of The Mummy but stopped as the sub titles were way off sync.

In those 10 minutes I'm thinking that I know what's going on, maybe. It's the story of looters robbing graves of ancient Egyptian artifacts...and Egyptian antiquities officials trying to stop them....and in the middle is a mysterious religious sect that has the secret to the hidden ancient tombs and protects them from all outsiders...which includes the looters and the Cairo museum officials.

I might be totally wrong! and I haven't read a thing about the movie, so I guess I'll find out what's what. Oh and I just fixed the subs and they're synced up now, so I hope to watch this next.
Just wait until the mummies are reanimated to see how off you are.

The Great Mouse Detective

This movie seemed familiar to me at times but I don't know where or when I would have seen it. The main poster that comes up really does it a disservice; just want to say that before I forget. I was in love with the atmosphere and visuals right off the bat. The whole movie seems to take place at night and it was a great call. I liked all of the characters, and I was wondering if that one legged thing was inspired by Gremlins. The story is fine enough and there's a couple of good musical numbers mixed in, especially for the dance. The London setting was huge for me, even if they didn't take full advantage of it until the end. It still added to the mystique throughout. It starts off in pretty terrifying fashion for a Disney movie. I rarely pick animated movies on my own so I like when they're picked for these. It was never going to be a big favorite for me but I enjoyed it quite a bit. Cool nom that I can't believe didn't make the animation countdown. I could see myself watching it again.

-

The Fisher King
A guilt-ridden man tries to help an odd homeless man who's life he inadvertently destroyed years ago.

Watching this film made me realise something: Guillermo del Toro is usually referred to as "The godfather of adult fantasy films". While I do appreciate his work, I'm starting to believe that Terry Gilliam is, in my opinion, possibly the godfather of adult fantasy films. Even if some of his specific work isn't necessarily in the fantasy genre, they still feel like they are (The rusty, run down future in "Twelve Monkeys", the bizarre city in "Brazil" and now the sense of adventure in "the Fisher King").

It's a performance heavy film and the actors give a good job all around, Jeff Bridges effectively portraying the cold but caring Jack and Mercedes Ruehl as the lovable video shop owner. Even though Robin WIlliams is mostly known for his comedic performances, I absolutely love all of his serious performances, whether they be dark or sad, so it was a delight to see him onscreen here as a comedic but unbelievably troubled homeless man.

For a comedy drama about mental illness, the line that has to be drawn is very vague; It's difficult to figure out what things you can joke about and what other things are just plain mean to joke about. I think the film does a great job at respecting that line. Yes, there are many scenes where we are expected to laugh at William's silly shenanigans, but you can obviously tell which scenes go a lot deeper than that and are quite sad moments.

I have other thoughts about the film but they're only really sentences long so I'll put them here: Loved the special effects. The romance plot was really cute. It's one of those films that emphasizes how big New York is and makes traversing across it an epic adventure (especially in the park scene) which i like.

Very good film @edarsenal

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Great Mouse Detective

I thought it was time for me to nominate something a little more laid back and nostaglic so I went with this. I watched it a decent amount as a kid but didn't go back to it as an adult until last year.

With this watch I really liked all the characters of the film. Basil obviously being the favorite but they are all good in my opinion. I think Ratigan makes a great villain and you just got to love Vincent Price.

There's just a lot of cool sequence scenes. Obviously the mouse death trap scene is one that sticks out, but I also enjoyed the battle on the clock tower and thought it was really cleverly done. I loved the flying contraption that Ratigan used too. The setting of London seemed really cool to use as it usually always works in films.

No, I don't think it's a masterpiece of any sorts but I think it's something to come back to again and again. Sometimes that's the true power of a really good film.

-

Cool nom that I can't believe didn't make the animation countdown.
It only got 26 points. Even raul didn't vote for it.

Camo - #17 (9 points)
Cobpyth #21(5 points)
Jal90 #22 (4 points)
TheUsualSuspect #18 (8 points)

It only got 26 points. Even raul didn't vote for it.

Camo - #17 (9 points)
Cobpyth #21(5 points)
Jal90 #22 (4 points)
TheUsualSuspect #18 (8 points)
I would definitely now though. It's in my letterboxd top 25 animation list. I just hadn't seen it in forever.

I would definitely now though. It's in my letterboxd top 25 animation list. I just hadn't seen it in forever.
I figured. Still, #100 got 55 points so even if you had voted for it, it would have fallen short.

I was actually looking at that list the other day, lots of oversights IMO
I think the only ones I'm really sad didn't make it are Ernest & Celestine, Over the Hedge, and Tokyo Godfathers. I voted for the first two, but hadn't seen TG yet.

Ernest & Celestine only got 9 points.

Gangs of New York
(Martin Scorsese 2002)

It's easy to dismiss this as a lesser Scorsese film, as it's not realistic...At least that's what I though as I watched film that seemed one part The Warriors, one part Tombstone and one part Terry Gilliam...then I realized just what Marty was going for here and it clicked.

Gangs of New York is not like other Scorsese films. Scorsese took all the history and legends that made up the backstory of New York city and put it into an eye poppin', adventurous tale. A tale that makes the characters larger than life and a whole lot more fun too. And that's the way legends go, they get bigger, badder and more grandiose with each generations retelling of the days of ole.

I think that broad based style comes clear in the end credits when we see modern NYC appear in the background and the graves of the men from days of old fade into memory. Even the ending title credits tell the viewer this isn't meant to be a slice of real history, it's mean to entertain and entertained I was.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-51_13_Bill-the-Butcher.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	67699  

I think the only ones I'm really sad didn't make it are Ernest & Celestine, Over the Hedge, and Tokyo Godfathers. I voted for the first two, but hadn't seen TG yet.

Ernest & Celestine only got 9 points.
I found it strange Peter Pan and Cinderella didn't make the cut. Not that I would have voted for them but they seemed popular enough to make it.

I found it strange Peter Pan and Cinderella didn't make the cut. Not that I would have voted for them but they seemed popular enough to make it.
I'm glad those didn't make it, honestly.

Hoping to find a decent copy for Gangs of New York. Too bad not on Netflix anymore
Do you have Amazon Prime? If so, you can rent it for $2.99 or do what I did and sign up for the 7 day HBO channel trial on Prime then immediately cancel. HBO has Jojo Rabbit also. If you cancel right away, you still get the 7 days for free, but it won't renew and you won't be charged.

I'm glad those didn't make it, honestly.

Do you have Amazon Prime? If so, you can rent it for $2.99 or do what I did and sign up for the 7 day HBO channel trial on Prime then immediately cancel. HBO has Jojo Rabbit also. If you cancel right away, you still get the 7 days for free, but it won't renew and you won't be charged.
I'll have to look into that Miss Vicky. I thought about buying JoJo outright.

The Skin I Live In

My 3rd time watching this. My 1st time, several years ago, I somehow didn't like it at all. I watched it again for the horror countdown and I loved it. I didn't vote for it only because I didn't see it as horror. It's definitely my kind of film and I loved it this time as well. My wife thought it was excellent too. I remember watching something not long ago and thinking, damn I've seen quite a few movies with a similar story, one is 2010's Victim. It's hard to believe that there are that many movies with such a twisted story but there are. Out of all of them, The Skin I Live In is the best and one I consider a personal favorite.

Already knowing the twist was not a bother for me because I got to pick up on some clues and plus I got to see my wife's reaction. I love the story and it is executed to perfection. Everything about it is superb, the visuals, the score, and the acting. I never saw anything before to know that Antonio Banderas had it in him. Just a great film that I would have eventually nominated myself.

I got Gangs of New York from Netflix. Planning on watching it next Monday when I'm off and wifey is at work. I've asked her a few times in the past if she wanted to watch it but she was never interested.

Thrilled to see you love it now, cricket. I remembered you posting on my movie log after I watched it the first time and you had said that you didn't like it. I either didn't know or had forgotten that you'd rewatched it and changed your mind so I was a little nervous what you'd think now.

I may have to give Victim a try just from curiosity. I don't think I'd ever seen another movie like this one.

ETA: Just watched the trailer. Looks pretty ****ed up but damn they got one unattractive dude to play the surgeon.