John Connor's Entertainment Log

→ in
Tools    

You should check the batman forever thread i posted a deleted scene not in the theatrical version

Leave Her to Heaven 1945 Directed by John M. Stahl

1h 50min | Drama | Film-Noir | Romance | Thriller
Writers: Jo Swerling, Ben Ames Williams
Cast: Gene Tierney, Cornel Wilde, Jeanne Crain

"Patchouli"

Very subtle and creepy noir thriller with a good slow build-up. Truly mesmerizing performance by Gene Tierney, displaying the highest level of calculated evil. Also thought they did a perfect job casting Jeanne Crain for the role of Ruth. The interior and wardrobe design looked exquisite. And so did the color scheme, it seemed coordinated with the leading lady's eye-color. Loved the opening scene on the train and the final scene.

Leave Her to Heaven 1945 Directed by John M. Stahl

Very subtle and creepy noir thriller with a good slow build-up. Truly mesmerizing performance by Gene Tierney, displaying the highest level of calculated evil. Also thought they did a perfect job casting Jeanne Crain for the role of Ruth. The interior and wardrobe design looked exquisite. And so did the color scheme, it seemed coordinated with the leading lady's eye-color. Loved the opening scene on the train and the final scene.
Loved that you used aqua for the title! I get it!.. So cool that you watched this and loved it to. It's one of my favorite films both for it's psychotically cold, lead character and for it's visually.

Seeing how you liked it, maybe take a look at some of my other Top 10 profile movies

Loved that you used aqua for the title! I get it!.. So cool that you watched this and loved it to. It's one of my favorite films both for it's psychotically cold, lead character and for it's visually.

Seeing how you liked it, maybe take a look at some of my other Top 10 profile movies
Pickup on South Street will probably be the next one, or the colorized version of My Man Godfrey.

@John-Connor by any chance you will post something about those erotic dramas of the 90s, for example:
Damage 1992
Whispers in the dark 1992

@John-Connor by any chance you will post something about those erotic dramas of the 90s, for example:
Damage 1992
Whispers in the dark 1992
Sorted my watchlist to 90s/romance/drama/thriller cause 'erotic' is not a tag, and these titles came up;
La Belle Noiseuse 1991
Eyes Wide Shut 1999
Color of Night 1994
Unlawful Entry 1992
The Age of Innocence 1993
Shattered 1991
Diary of a Hitman 1991
Open Your Eyes 1997
M. Butterfly 1993

You could/should try Wild Things '98, Wild at Heart '90 and The Hot Spot '90

Sorted my watchlist to 90s/romance/drama/thriller cause 'erotic' is not a tag, and these titles came up;
La Belle Noiseuse 1991
Eyes Wide Shut 1999
Color of Night 1994
Unlawful Entry 1992
The Age of Innocence 1993
Shattered 1991
Diary of a Hitman 1991
Open Your Eyes 1997
M. Butterfly 1993

You could/should try Wild Things '98, Wild at Heart '90 and The Hot Spot '90
Great movies

The Immortal 2019 ‘L'immortale’ Directed by Marco D’Amore

1h 56min | Crime | Drama |
Writers: Leonardo Fasoli, Maddalena Ravagli
Cast: Marco D'Amore, Giuseppe Aiello, Martina Attanasio, Salvatore D'Onofrio

If you like good crime series and are not familiar with Gomorrah stop reading, logg off, call in sick, and binge it.

L'immortale is a spin off prequel and a sequel to the events after the third season of the TV series. Similar to Deadwood and Serenity this can't be watched without having seen the series.

Ciro Di Marzio 'The immortal', a beautiful and deep character played by one of the best upcoming and multi talented Italian dramatic actors Marco D’Amore. Who also directed it. The film focuses on the life and times of Ciro's past and present. A compelling crime film, if it was an episode it would’ve been a strong one with the same grim and gritty atmosphere as the series. It also has the same Mokadelic score which is fantastic as always.

-

"Canzone Bambina mia" *clip contains major spoilers.

Lady Snowblood 1973 ‘修羅雪姫’ Directed by Toshiya Fujita

Matewan 1987 Directed by John Sayles

Reign of Fire 2002 Directed by Rob Bowman

-

The Physician 2013 Directed by Philipp Stölzl

-

Centurion 2010 Directed by Neil Marshall

Jerry Before Seinfeld 2017 Directed by Michael Bonfiglio

+

Exodus: Gods and Kings 2014 Directed by Ridley Scott

+

The Grey 2011 Directed by Joe Carnahan

-

Ninja Scroll 1993 ‘獣兵衛忍風帖’ Directed by Yoshiaki Kawajiri

+

Somewhere in Time 1980 Directed by Jeannot Szwarc

+

The Man Who Knew Too Much 1956 Directed by Alfred Hitchcock

The Lady Vanishes 1938 Directed by Alfred Hitchcock

Metropolis 1927 Directed by Fritz Lang

Curse of the Golden Flower 2006 ‘滿城盡帶黃金甲’ Directed by Zhang Yimou

1h 51min | Drama | History | Action
Writers: Zhihong Bian, Yu Cao
Cast: Yun-Fat Chow, Li Gong, Jay Chou

Shakespearean / ancient Greek family tragedy style drama. About the Royal family and the Emperor of China during the Tang dynasty. Well acted film with out of this world production design, cinematography and hair and makeup. The storytelling wasn't really up to par but the visuals more than make up for that. It's truly one of the most gorgeous films I've seen.

+

Jerry Seinfeld: 23 Hours To Kill 2020 Directed by Joe DeMaio

-
Gettysburg 1993 Directed by Ronald F. Maxwell
+
The Thin Red Line 1998 Directed by Terrence Malick
+
The Way Back 2010 Directed by Peter Weir
+
-
Dead Man’s Letters 1986 ‘Письма мертвого человека’ Directed by Konstantin Lopushansky

Bill Burr: I’m Sorry You Feel That Way 2014 Directed by Jay Karas

-
Gallipoli 1981 Directed by Peter Weir
+
Curse of the Golden Flower 2006 ‘滿城盡帶黃金甲’ Directed by Zhang Yimou
+
Adam Sandler: 100% Fresh 2018 Directed by Steven Brill
+
Togo 2019 Directed by Ericson Core
+
Bacurau 2019 Directed by Kleber Mendonça Filho, Juliano Dornelles
+
-
Ran 1985 ‘乱’ Directed by Akira Kurosawa (Remastered)
-
-
War and Peace 1966 ‘Война и мир’ Directed by Sergey Bondarchuk

+

i’m thinking of ending things 2020 Directed by Charlie Kaufman

2h 14min | Drama | Thriller | Fantasy
Writers: Charlie Kaufman, Iain Reid
Cast: Jessie Buckley, Jesse Plemons, Toni Collette, David Thewlis

Was that a jab at Zemeckis? Thanks for the A Woman Under the Influence spoilers Charlie!
Tarantino-like with the many references to other works, only Kaufman taps from a different artistic lane. He also dissects Baby It’s Cold Outside in a way reminiscent of Reservoir Dogs and Like A Virgin.
Captivating and fascinating mindf'ck story. Eccentric delivery with great acting and screenplay. Wonderful music and dance piece just before the final scene!

"There is no Genius Edition!"
"Watch the world through this glass, pre-interpreted for us. And it infects our brain. We become it. Like a Virus."
"Color is the deeds of light, it's the deeds and suffering."
+

i just watched Never Cry Wolf. and i have to say it s one of the best 80s films, it entered the top 5 best 80s films in my list.

i just watched Never Cry Wolf. and i have to say it s one of the best 80s films, it entered the top 5 best 80s films in my list.
Been on my watch-list for a while, I'll check it out soon rambond, thnx for the heads-up!

The Human Condition I: No Greater Love 1959 ‘人間の條件 第1部純愛篇’ Directed by Masaki Kobayashi

+

Never Cry Wolf 1983 Directed by Carroll Ballard

When the synthesizers kicked in during the opening credits I already knew this was going to be one of my new eighties faves. Great recommendation rambond.
+

The Bandit 1996 ‘Eşkıya’ Directed by Yavuz Turgul

A Night to Remember 1958 Directed by Roy Ward Baker

The Train 1964 John Frankenheimer

Great War Thriller starring Boss Lancaster. Newly added to my War films top 100 at #26. And my 1960's top 100 at #33.

+

The Vanishing 1988 ‘Spoorloos’ Directed by George Sluizer

Re-watched Spoorloos/ The Vanishing last night. I was way too young when I saw it for the first time. Very suspenseful and atmospheric abduction Mystery/Thriller, right up there with Zodiac and Don't Look Now. One of the best Dutch films ever made. (Edited my '88 top ten, The Vanishing is in at 5th place)

+

Mystery Train 1989 Directed by Jim Jarmusch

+

Mystery Train

Port of Shadows 1938 ‘Le quai des brumes’ Marcel Carné

+

Umberto D. 1952 Vittorio De Sica

+

Red Beard 1965 ‘赤ひげ’ Akira Kurosawa

+

A Brighter Summer Day 1991 ‘牯嶺街少年殺人事件’ Edward Yang

Incendies 2010 Denis Villeneuve

+

Kon-Tiki 2012 Joachim Rønning, Espen Sandberg

Coming 2 America 2021 Craig Brewer

The Cranes Are Flying 1957 ‘Летят журавли’ Mikhail Kalatozov

+

Malena 2000 Giuseppe Tornatore

Tema di malena · Ennio Morricone

+

A Separation 2011 ‘جدایی نادر از سیمین’ Asghar Farhadi

+

The Cruel Sea 1953 Charles Frend

2h 6min | Drama | War
Writers: Nicholas Monsarrat, Eric Ambler
Cast: Jack Hawkins, Donald Sinden, John Stratto, Virginia McKenna

A classic World War II naval 'battle of the Atlantic' film, based on the best selling novel by former naval officer Nicholas Monsarrat. The Cruel Sea portrays a long period of battle between the Royal Navy and German U-Boats and the effects it had on personal life during this period.

The film features some impressive dramatic storytelling, but it's the British realism that sets this film apart from the many films about this particular chapter of WWII. With masterful performances by Jack Hawkins and Donald Sinden bringing character and a personal touch to the story.

One of the best WWII naval battle films I've seen so far. Solid on all fronts, it's on the BFI's Top 100 British Films list and made two of my own lists; top War films and top 1950’s films. Recommended for viewers who enjoyed films like Das Boat and Master and Commander.

Buffalo ’66 1998 Vincent Gallo

Disturbingly beautiful romantic dark comedy. This Vincent Gallo is a talented dude. The film, although totally American, felt like a European art house flick at times. I like where Gallo took the film and how it ended. Christina Ricci . Also dope cameo's by Mickey Rourke and Jean Michael Vincent.

+
Deathtrap 1982 Sidney Lumet

Much better than 'Clue' and in the league of 'Sleuth', a highly entertaining who-dunnit/who'll-do-it. And one of the best 'one-location movies' ever.
Starring Michael Caine and Christopher Reeve.
+
Blue Thunder 1983 John Badham

Cool throwback 80's action flick (pre Air Wolf) starring; Roy Scheider, Warren Oates, Candy Clark, Daniel Stern and Malcolm McDowell.

+
Nomadland 2020 Chloé Zhao

+

Greenland 2020 Ric Roman Waugh

Night Falls on Manhattan 1996 Sidney Lumet
Underrated crime drama/thriller starring: Ron Leibman, James Gandolfini, Richard Dreyfuss, Shiek Mahmud-Bey, Andy García, Ian Holm, Lena Olin, Bobby Cannavale.