Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Force of Nature (2020)

Went into this apprehensively, like both Mel Gibson and Emile Hirsch but has had awful reviews.
A storm in Puerto Rico taxes the local police with moving the vulnerable to higher ground. Disgruntled officer (see where I'm going) gets there with his new partner to find 2 people, an aged ex-cop and a similarly aged unknown that they need to get out.

It's not great but it's not awful.

The Train 1964 John Frankenheimer

Great War Thriller starring Boss Lancaster. Newly added to my War films top 100 at #26. And my 1960's top 100 at #33.

+

Pili (Leanne Welham, 2017)

Watchable, if mainly unremarkable, tale that ultimately sends mixed messages

The last movie that i saw is Insidious2
I think 9/10 because I like the plot and the characters in the movie, minus 1 point due to it made me too scared 😂

Drowning by Numbers (1988)

Fist time watching this Peter Greenaway drama. Highly stylised (like all his work) the story is about 3 female members of the same family (Mother, Daughter, Niece) taking their frustrations out of their spouses and using a (rather convenient!) Coroner to sign off the deaths as anything but murder. This because he has desires for all 3 ladies. Has good funny and dramatic parts and us never less than interesting. Also a ludicrous but intriguing ending that just.....*fits*.
Think this is my favourite Greenaway by some distance.

Escaping Dad aka Amber Alert (Ross Kohn, 2017)
+
Predictable made-for-tv affair but actually a little better than the ever-so-naff title would suggest

Feast your eyes on this, er, feast of garbage cinema! (This week's garbage selection all came from the keyword "kidnap" on IMDb, hence the common theme. For great garbage choices I also recommend "spy", "conspiracy", and "undercover".)

Burden of Evil, 2012

Okay, this TV movie isn't necessarily garbage. It's more like . . . well, the last time I went to the grocery store I wanted a gentle meal and got some chicken and rice soup. I did not look closely enough and got chicken and rice soup without salt. It tastes like liquid nothing and a hint of carrot.

This movie is that soup.

A detective named Kate is called to action when the man who killed her husband kidnaps a senator's daughter. Unsurprisingly, it's personal! The two play a tepid game of cat and mouse. The kidnapper and his victim look like they are about 14 years old. It's fine. A not so surprising twist here. Some gentle menacing of the victim there. A lot of neutral colored clothing.

Wages of Sin, 2011

I mean, you see that picture.

I will say that Katharine Everett (playing the abductee) is really good. In fact, all three of the actors are pretty good. But the overall premise (a woman is abducted by a obviously closeted gay man and his moron religious girlfriend) never takes off. Much like Hush Money, the comedy in the first third is more effective than the "serious stuff" toward the end.

Recommended if you want to see a man try to eat ketchup covered french fries while wearing a paper grocery bag over his face.

Bite, 2015

A group of slumming actors, I mean, mercenaries are hired to kidnap a wealthy man's daughter. But upon entering the sprawling mansion, the entire house goes into a lockdown and the group realizes they've been led into a trap.

This is the real garbage of the trio. Horrible dialogue, line readings that had me cringing. The film pulls out all the lowest common denominator tricks (tons of uninventive female nudity, while the male actors are all kept modestly clothed). The soundtrack plays heavily over the film, at times obscuring the dialogue. I watch with subtitles, and I frequently saw "dialogue fades under music", "unintelligible conversation", or "unintelligible screaming".

A hot mess. It gets a point for the absurdity of a scene where the group are attacked by a baby vampire and the film inelegantly cuts between shots of the actors wildly swinging around a fake baby and then gently handling a real baby.

The Mission: Impossible movie marathon continues...

MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE III
(2006)

First viewing. More action-packed than the first 2 entries, and unlike the action in the first 2, particularly the second entry where the action scenes were boring and lame, the action in this entry is cool and exciting. Action scenes aside, the best part of the movie is none other than Philip Seymour Hoffman as the main villain. Straight up, he makes a GREAT bad guy. The opening scene where Tom Cruise's character is held captive by Hoffman as Hoffman threatens to shoot Cruise's wife who is also held captive at the countdown of 10 if he does not reveal the location of the 'rabbit's foot' alone is extremely intense and earns this movie a full 3 stars, the rest of the movie earns the additional half star.
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

It was a China Movie "Kungfu". I enjoyed a lot this one. I will give you 8 out of 10.

Great, sleazy, film.

First viewing. More action-packed than the first 2 entries, and unlike the action in the first 2, particularly the second entry where the action scenes were boring and lame, the action in this entry is cool and exciting. Action scenes aside, the best part of the movie is none other than Philip Seymour Hoffman as the main villain. Straight up, he makes a GREAT bad guy. The opening scene where Tom Cruise's character is held captive by Hoffman as Hoffman threatens to shoot Cruise's wife who is also held captive at the countdown of 10 if he does not reveal the location of the 'rabbit's foot' alone is extremely intense and earns this movie a full 3 stars, the rest of the movie earns the additional half star.
[/center]
This is very close to how I feel about it. I also think that the sequence with Keri Russell is really strong.

Hoffman is the most memorable villain in the who series, and it's not even close.

The Hills Have Eyes (2006, Alexandre Aja)

Haven't seen the original so I can't compare but this didn't suck - in fact, it was rather decent.

Woman in the Dunes 1964

Stunning film. Scratchy eerie score. So atmospheric. The sexual tension is palpable. The images are jaw dropping. Extreme close ups, imaginative wide angles. The changing state of Japanese society as it arrives into the modern world is melded with personal existentialism and relationship trauma.

Simply one of the greatest films I have ever seen.

Agreed.

Harry Brown, been meaning to watch this for ages and for whatever reason it always seemed to pass me by, lol. An enjoyable film and Michael Caine is very good in it.

The Aviator, Christopher Reeve plays a pilot who crashes with a passenger (Roseanna Arquette) and they end up lost in the wilderness. I love these sort of films and Reeves is a brilliant actor that gets forgotten because of his Superman films (in my opinion anyway.)

Morning Glory, another film starring Christopher Reeve. A drama based in a small town where a man (Reeve) is a wanderer looking for work and answers an ad in the local paper placed by a woman looking for a husband.