The Videogames Tab

Tools    

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Oh yeah! They get into Sonic and Sega and all that!
OMG I just replied to your thread over in the Television Tab, thinking it was this one. After posting my reply, I scrolled to see what I had commented earlier and couldn't find my reply. A search for "high score" only returned that thread (not this one). I seriously thought I was losing my mind for a solid 34 seconds or so.

=\

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

The Adventure Starts Here!
OMG I just replied to your thread over in the Television Tab, thinking it was this one. After posting my reply, I scrolled to see what I had commented earlier and couldn't find my reply. A search for "high score" only returned that thread (not this one). I seriously thought I was losing my mind for a solid 34 seconds or so.

=\
HA HA HAAA! I **JUST** replied over there, stating that I could have SWORN I'd already replied about the Sega Genesis.

Geez. We're both losing our minds.

The People's Republic of Clogher
I started London 2038 (a fan-made version of Hellgate London with most of the bugs fixed, all the content from the old Flagship test server + some balance and QoL changes, and working online mode) yesterday. I've always liked Hellgate and consider its fate a great tragedy.
Interesting. Must seek that one out. I've still got my Hellgate discs.

I'm well into Dead Space 3 now (yeah, the games are pretty short) and I rage quit so many times trying to fight this absurdly powerful spider thing. I ran out of ammo, stasis, health, everything. How many fookin' times do I have to shoot it?! I actually thought I managed it twice because it did the typical "I'm officially dying now" scream. But it was just to psych me out so it could pummel me to death as I foolishly walk toward it expecting that sweet loot from its rotting corpse. Twice I fell for it. Listen, that scream signifies my opponent is toast, a goner, a mere puddle of goo at my feet. They. Are. Donzo. It's gaming 101. You don't fook with the formula.

At this point I don't know when I'll try again. I'm most annoyed.

EDIT: It was just me. I couldn't see the device I needed to use to trap the spider thing because of the damn snow!

The People's Republic of Clogher
Hitman 2016 (aka the best game of the current generation) and the 3 Shadowrun rpgs are free on the Epic store until tomorrow. Pick them up.

Also Crusader Kings 3 is on Game Pass.

Random, but I have to ask this probably once a year:
Have/do any of you, as a hobby or more seriously, develop games? Even if it's a text-based Zork "find your fate" style of game. I've always wanted to but I fear I have too little practical experience in that world. A decade ago I could write code in Adobe Flash AS1, but I could never get staff programming friends to join up. The best I got was a very basic stat sheet and a few walking animations for an overhead Zelda-ish screen and hit test going. I'm talking an oval with arms that wiggled while moving across the screen until it bumped into another object, carrying a "t" shape to represent a weapon and inventory that you could swing. lol. It was so pathetically cute.

My cousin apparently made a simple mobile app space shooter. It was pretty basic stuff, but it worked. That kid was kind of an idiot growing up, so maybe there's hope yet!

I'd be fascinated to read stories and experiences if you have 'em.

Wow. It was a big deal there. I've got a friend who was casting a huge esports tournament for that.

Yep, its massive here. Streaming became a legitimate profession from it for several youngsters here. And it's good fun, plus free.

All this because of China causing problems at our borders. They did it again last week. So 100+ Chinese apps were banned which included Pubg. Happened to Tik Tok as well, the last time we had a border situation with China.

I have been playing it since evening for the last time. It's expected to stop working from tomorrow. Might suffer from withdrawal symptoms after that🤣 .

there's a frog in my snake oil
Random, but I have to ask this probably once a year:
I think I answer this the same way every year, but...

Nothing other than amateur froth really. I made some Minecraft adventure & puzzle maps that I'm inordinately proud of, which did involve using the baby's-first-code of the 'command blocks'. (And doing loads of related stuff like difficulty balancing, story pacing, pixel art, voice recording, music sourcing, 'beta testing', marketing, yadda yadda).

It was fun. And I made $200 over time from the downloads. But that worked out at like $1 an hour for all the time I put in...

People enjoying an adventure you plotted, and laughing at your crappy jokes, is kinda priceless though

Here is famed CoD Youtuber CaptainSparklez playing one of them...

(One of the fun things about this one is I'd been building it in the experimental branch, so I was one of the first out the door when the update dropped with novel things like triggered audio that you could auto-pack into the map file. The surprise from regular players when the characters started speaking over mood music was pretty great )

I love the randomly baa'ing sheep in the background lol. This is pretty great btw.

The Adventure Starts Here!
I love the randomly baa'ing sheep in the background lol. This is pretty great btw.
That's definitely what you hear in Minecraft itself -- random animal noises from those around you.

This IS great fun. Also, the guy playing through your game, @Golgot, looks a little like our Yoda...

Welcome to the human race...
Well, I did finish Mad Max after all that. Definitely sank more time into running down side-quests than the main quest, which was probably a mistake when the main quest was itself so under-cooked not just in terms of narrative depth (I mean, some of those late-stage plot developments....oof) but also in terms of varied gameplay and challenges that I probably didn't need to spend as much time on upgrading the car as I did. Definitely makes me think I should focus on linear narratives that don't implicitly encourage too much open-world nonsense.

Speaking of which, since Control's "AWE" expansion dropped I figured I'd play Alan Wake's American Nightmare first to see if it would be relevant considering how much AWE was apparently teasing an Alan Wake connection. However, it's classified as a spin-off more than a sequel so I question how much relevance it has to the overall proceedings, but I guess it's worth it just to have more Alan Wake. While the core gameplay is more or less the same as the base game, it's weird how it doesn't seem all that invested in horror and is willing to provide a Max Payne-worthy arsenal along with copious amounts of ammo so that there's barely any threat to be had even from the new enemies that jack up the variety but not the difficulty. I guess it's all justified within the narrative, but it does seem like Remedy's idea for providing a fresh experience settles for something more action-oriented and a narrative that starts off condensed and keeps condensing itself down further and further as it progresses. A fine enough experience, but inherently limited. Time to move onto AWE, then.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Well, I did finish Mad Max after all that. Definitely sank more time into running down side-quests than the main quest, which was probably a mistake when the main quest was itself so under-cooked not just in terms of narrative depth (I mean, some of those late-stage plot developments....oof) but also in terms of varied gameplay and challenges that I probably didn't need to spend as much time on upgrading the car as I did. Definitely makes me think I should focus on linear narratives that don't implicitly encourage too much open-world nonsense.

Speaking of which, since Control's "AWE" expansion dropped I figured I'd play Alan Wake's American Nightmare first to see if it would be relevant considering how much AWE was apparently teasing an Alan Wake connection. However, it's classified as a spin-off more than a sequel so I question how much relevance it has to the overall proceedings, but I guess it's worth it just to have more Alan Wake. While the core gameplay is more or less the same as the base game, it's weird how it doesn't seem all that invested in horror and is willing to provide a Max Payne-worthy arsenal along with copious amounts of ammo so that there's barely any threat to be had even from the new enemies that jack up the variety but not the difficulty. I guess it's all justified within the narrative, but it does seem like Remedy's idea for providing a fresh experience settles for something more action-oriented and a narrative that starts off condensed and keeps condensing itself down further and further as it progresses. A fine enough experience, but inherently limited. Time to move onto AWE, then.
I just noticed your signature now. That's a bold statement no matter how you look at it.

You ready? You look ready.
The more I read about Harvest Moon: One World the happier I am I didn’t subccumb to the mania that was Animal Crossing. It was one or the other, and it was hard to resist. Now that it has died down I can confidently say the wait will be worth it.

Now I just need a better grip for this stupid thing. Any suggestions?

Welcome to the human race...
I just noticed your signature now. That's a bold statement no matter how you look at it.
I found it in one of my review threads and thought it was funny because now the association is less to do with any ideas of quality or perfectionism in the reviews and more to do with how much time passes between them. I saw Tenet and said I was gonna review it but that was two weeks ago and the draft's just been sitting there for a while so who knows when I'll get around to publishing it.

Anyway, back to the videogame tab part of this thread...

So I just finished Control: AWE. I think the decision to play through Alan Wake before going ahead with this was the right idea, though I have to wonder if that necessarily makes AWE good in its own right - it ends up seeming a little compromised between being a follow-up to Alan Wake while also providing another Control adventure. At the very least, it offers its own spin on the darkness-fighting mechanics of Alan Wake that do a decent job of replicating that same tension (especially when it comes to fighting the game's sole Taken enemy in a series of escalating boss battles) and offers more of that same Control experience of cleansing Altered Items or doing janitorial work, but like both The Foundation and the base game it can't help but feel a little anti-climactic, to say nothing of how...

WARNING: "Control/Alan Wake" spoilers below
...it basically ends with a stinger that teases an actual Alan Wake sequel so now it's a question of whether or not Control does get another DLC that resolves the new plot threads dropped in Foundation or if this all ended up being preamble for a proper return to Alan Wake.