Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Never seen it before. Excellent movie on several levels. Must have been amazing on the big screen.

I had a stroke in 2013 which basically left my right side frozen and have been bedridden since. It's all movies except for watching some baseball, news and late night.
Good Lord, Mark. What a terrible thing to have happened to you! Is there no way you can use an automated wheelchair? I imagine it's an awful situation to get used to, but probably after 7 years you've been able to accept it.

I always enjoy looking at your reviews. Best to you, my friend!

~Doc

Unregistered User

First Cow (2019)

Really enjoyed this. Its a really picturesque and tender film from Reichardt but the performances from Lee and John Magaro in particular were sensational. Its not fast paced but paced perfectly and I loved how every simple sound was emphasized.

Great film.

Moonrise (1948)

Dark and atmospheric noir however Danny was really hard to like and acting was over the top.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Each Dawn I Die - 6.5/10
When I'm in a slump, I usually go with Cagney, Bogart, and Hitchcock.. There are hundreds of movies like this, but it's decent. I was glad the warden was "on the level".

First Cow (2019)

Really enjoyed this. Its a really picturesque and tender film from Reichardt but the performances from Lee and John Magaro in particular were sensational. Its not fast paced but paced perfectly and I loved how every simple sound was emphasized.

Great film.

Moonrise (1948)

Dark and atmospheric noir however Danny was really hard to like and acting was over the top.

I loved first cow. But I'm a bit of a Reichardt fan. In some ways it's like a low key There Will be Blood. Their friendship was told so well.

Moebius (Kim Ki-duk, 2013)

The jarring editing and digital look took a short time to get used to, but combined with the lack of any dialogue and expressive acting, it became this rhythmic thing that was fully engrossing. One could argue it amounts to nothing more than a technical exercise, but I think that's underestimating it.

I, Tonya (Craig Gillespie, 2017)

I expected my enjoyment of this to skate on thin ice but found the light-hearted tone gave it the edge

Starred Up (2013)

I really liked Starred Up, and it's definitely a "keep an eye on this one" performance from Jack O'Connell (yes, I know he'd been in quite a few things, but this was the first I'd seen of him where he really popped as an actor). And then he did '71 right after!

Peanut Butter Falcon, what an absolute joy to watch. One of the best feel-good films I've seen, good story with good actors and a real heart warming comedy

I really liked this, I felt it was more a "play for TV" like the series "Play for Today" and I don't think it would have even been as been watchable without Tom Hardy.

Unregistered User
I loved first cow. But I'm a bit of a Reichardt fan. In some ways it's like a low key There Will be Blood. Their friendship was told so well.

Good comparison. This was only my second from Reichardt after Night Moves. Thought I had seen Wendy and Lucy but mustn't have. Yes their friendship was great to watch, just listening to their mundane conversations were a joy.

Unregistered User

The Painted Bird (2019)

Easy to see how this was likened to Come and See. Its a bleak and cruel tale pretty much from start to finish of a young boy travelling through war torn states. Gorgeously shot in black and white it really reflects the depressing atmosphere of the time. Plenty of disturbing scenes so its not for the faint hearted but its a fantastic watch.

The Painted Bird (2019)

Easy to see how this was likened to Come and See. Its a bleak and cruel tale pretty much from start to finish of a young boy travelling through war torn states. Gorgeously shot in black and white it really reflects the depressing atmosphere of the time. Plenty of disturbing scenes so its not for the faint hearted but its a fantastic watch.

Yessssss. Glad you enjoyed. There's one weak scene early on but apart from that I thought it was fantastic.

Unregistered User
Yessssss. Glad you enjoyed. There's one weak scene early on but apart from that I thought it was fantastic.

I had meant to pm you beforehand but totally forgot! What scene are you thinking? Really enjoyed it, as much as a film like that can be enjoyed! Certainly didn't feel almost 3hours long anyway although may have been due to there being chapters, which I also loved.

Never seen it before. Excellent movie on several levels. Must have been amazing on the big screen.
Does anyone know? Never mentioned (probably on purpose) in the director’s documentary, but did Tom really fly those planes? I know he’s a daredevil & has flown planes in movies before, but did he fly the fighter plane himself?

Good comparison. This was only my second from Reichardt after Night Moves. Thought I had seen Wendy and Lucy but mustn't have. Yes their friendship was great to watch, just listening to their mundane conversations were a joy.
Planning to see all your recent movies.

You have to see Wendy & Lucy, Meek’s Cutoff and especially Certain Women, which might be my favorite. Loved almost everything this director has done. Night Moves might be my least favorite.

Also, I think you would like this Scottish movie very much. Very powerful. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0471030/