The F Word In Movies-Overused!

Tools    

I mean really? it adds little to the picture and just sounds juvenile to hear every other word in most flicks today,I'm not against the use of a cuss word if called for in the story but don't run it in the ground.

Yes in most flicks today,and it shows a lack of imagination on the part of the scriptwriters...I can cuss with the best of em,but I don't throw out F-bombs like breathing and neither do most of the-ADULTS I talk to...lazy writers who think it's cool and maybe it is...if only sixteen yr olds are watching!!

What movies are you watching?

I watch plenty of movies and only occasionally encounter it - and usually not in excess. One or two in the whole film. I think the problem here isn't "most" movies but rather your choice in them.

The problem with its use today I've noticed mostly when a big blockbuster successfully achieved the R-rating and somehow think that when you have an R you HAVE TO say f*ck every two seconds. And show nudity. And have tons of blood.

In the old days it wasn't that much of a problem, because less movies were actively seeking that PG-13 rating to reach as wide an audience as possible and thereby earn more money. Back in the day you had a script and you made the kind of movie the script called for. Today too many movies try to fit into boxes, including the R-rated one. It's rare these days you see an R-rated movie with a large budget were it feels 100% natural in its approach.

I think Logan is one of the best examples to use. I know many liked that movie, but I didn't particularly do. It felt like the director really wanted to please the fans hungering for an R-rated Wolverine flick. But instead the violence completely took over everything. Also, during the first 5 minutes or so of the movie, we have already seen some boobs, heard Logan say "f*ck" and seen a blood bath. It felt so forced to me. But that's just an example, I've seen many flicks like that. It's like the director/producers say "oh! we can curse now right? Let's put an F-bomb here and here and here" it's like a small child in a candy store who can't control himself.

But on the other hand, there's plenty of movies today where I don't feel like it's overused. Or where it's used a lot, but it makes sense for the story and characters... I don't care about the f-word or dropping it a million times in a movie, if it just fits the tone and style the movie goes for. Then it's all good to me. In Denmark it's also very common to curse left and right. We don't mean anything by it. And we don't think much about it. It's just how we do.

I think it’s a generalisation to say it’s everywhere. In fact, I’d say there are relatively few R-rated films being made. The most recent time I noticed swearing was upon rewatching Super Dark Times (2017). The f-word did jar there, but I think Kevin Phillips was making a point that teenagers spoke that way to feel ‘cool’/ mature.

Even in Breaking Bad they had to ration the f-bomb, which is why Jesse says ‘b*tch’ all the time.

What movies are you watching?

I watch plenty of movies and only occasionally encounter it - and usually not in excess. One or two in the whole film. I think the problem here isn't "most" movies but rather your choice in them.
I said most not all,and I watch alot of flicks too,we'll just agree to disagree cool?

I mean really? it adds little to the picture and just sounds juvenile to hear every other word in most flicks today,I'm not against the use of a cuss word if called for in the story but don't run it in the ground.
There are plenty of films and moments in films where the f word defines a moment or a character, thus it adds to the overall story.

But I agree that there are newer movies where it is overused and can seem like lazy writers trying to spice up an otherwise dull movie script. In these cases the overuse of the f word is like an overly done music score, it's obvious film making. Tarantino is the worst example of obvious film making. I believe one of his films holds the record for the number of times the N word is used. The overuse of the f word does sound juvenile and puts me into the mind of being around a bunch of 14 year olds.

I've posted about this before:

Excellent topic. I've heard it said that PG-13 films make the most money as opposed to PG or R. So film makers intentionally will throw in 1 F word to bump the rating from PG to PG-13. They make more money that way.

Personally I would like to see the film maker have the ability to bump the rating 1 step up if they choose (but not 1 step down).

I've seen a lot of good PG material films that would be suitable for children as well as adults have the F word dropped into them. Too many family films have to have the 1 F bomb, just so that they can be bumped from PG to PG-13.
Excellent post

I've noticed movies where the f word is used for edginess and ends up sounding like something a writer came up with. When used profanity should sound and feel organic and fit the mood of the movie or the style of the character.

Funny thing is in a modern movie you might hear the F word 50 times but people who swear use all the cuss words, and are just as likely to say ***** or son of bitch, or bastard, but I guess those words aren't hip enough as they don't get used that often in proportion to the F word....And God Damn...you almost never hear anyone in a movie saying that, too offensive for our ears I guess.

It's OK to use the F word but writers need to make their characters sound real and not overly edgy, so a R rating can be earned on purpose. I have an ear for bad movie dialogue and misuse of the vernacular, especially in period piece films can lessen the movie watching experience.
The reason new movies have "Nothing but the "F" word over and over" (as you said) ...is the producer is seeking to get an R rating for the movie. An a certain number of F bombs will do it. Usually these movies are strictly PG in every other manner besides the language. ...

Hahahaha, don't ever meet me in real life then - my wife says it's called the 'f-word' because it's roughly every fourth or fifth word outta my mouth

As far as movies go, I barely even notice it tbh unless it's used really poorly.

A system of cells interlinked
What the **** are you talking about?

You ready? You look ready.
You ain't heard too many ****s until you have worked an IT job. We make Hollywood sound like a nunnery.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I roll my eyes when I hear it in a PG-13 movie. Since they are allowed to use it once or twice it's very noticeable and forced. Feels like an awkward build up to it.

Suspect's Reviews

I'd like some examples.
Same. I'm trying to think of the last time I watched a film where the profanity felt out of place or "just included to be edgy" and I'm drawing a blank.

I guess Damsel has more modern language, but that film was being deliberately anachronistic at points, so it felt like part of the whole vibe.

As to the notion that family films are having a single "f-word" put in them to secure a PG-13 rating . . . . evidence, please? Because I can't find a single article our source that says anything like this.

Also, I found an interesting article about how The Martian had multiple uses of the profanity and still got away with a PG-13 rating.

A system of cells interlinked
You ain't heard too many ****s until you have worked an IT job. We make Hollywood sound like a nunnery.

Just don't make a habit out of it!

The truth is in here
Also, I found an interesting article about how The Martian had multiple uses of the profanity and still got away with a PG-13 rating.
3 uses (one of them mouthed) is still not a ton, just slightly more than usual for a PG-13. One thing I don't understand is that despite the myth that you can only use it once, I've seen countless of PG-13 movies where they use it twice. Though for some reason The Hunger Games: Catching Fire censored both uses.

The trick is not minding
The Wolf of Wall Street is the only example I can think of that over uses the “f” word. The only film I can think of where it truly felt forced in some lines.
Other then that, I’m not sure what else the OP is referring to.

Ghouls, vampires, werewolves... let's party.
I roll my eyes when I hear it in a PG-13 movie. Since they are allowed to use it once or twice it's very noticeable and forced. Feels like an awkward build up to it.
They used the F word once in Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves which I thought was lame and unnecessary. Did the word even exist in the Middle Ages?