Tenet, Christopher Nolan 2020 Film

Tools    

Welcome to the human race...
Even if the death of cinemas is inevitable, that doesn't mean they have to speed it up by forcing the biggest cinematic event of the year (made by someone notorious for his fondness for the theatrical experience) to go straight-to-video. Even Disney hasn't dropped Black Widow and that's a literal MCU movie. So no, I wouldn't be happy about having to watch it at home and I can wait for it to be screened in safe, accessible theatres.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
I mean no I wouldn't be happy about it, Nolan is about the only thing that will get me to a Cinema these days but it might have made sense for this years 2 biggest (arguably) releases.

That's a high quality tweet right there lol

If COVID takes me out before I see this movie I am haunting everyone on Earth forever.

Also. I don't know call me cray cray. If the theaters can hang on and all these movies...Tenet, Wonder Woman, Dune, Black Widow etc all come out near the same time or get pushed until next summer...the theaters might experience a huge boom in business. If everyone feels safe all these movies coming out next to each other they will come out in droves for these flicks.

101 Favorite Movies (2019)

A bucket of anxiety
I'd rather it come out on DVD, although Joe and I had finally gotten a car recently (due to unfortunate circumstances), others do not have the ability to go to the theater, especially people at high risk. It'd simply be for the better that way. I dunno, maybe buy a bigger television?

A bucket of anxiety
Besides a bad movie at a cinema is a bad night period. At home you can just put on a better movie. You don't even have to suffer through an entire load of garbage. You can get to the enjoyment in half the time.

With all the hoopla this better blow my socks off, I won't accept anything less. I'll even wear socks just for the occasion.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Pleased to discover my local cinema is opening up for TeNeT.

Yeah, I'm gonna see what the options are here. If they sell it to 25% and put multiple seats between people, this might be one of the rare films I'd consider that for. We'll see.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Glad to see Canada get this before the states!!!

Suspect's Reviews

Nolan has been slipping for me in the past few movies. And rewatches of his grander works has proven that the problems I had with his films are clearer than ever, though the great ones are still good. So I’m excited to see how I’ll like Tenet...

I’m seeing this exactly a week from now. August 24th. And in 70mm as well.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Nolan has been slipping for me in the past few movies. And rewatches of his grander works has proven that the problems I had with his films are clearer than ever, though the great ones are still good. So I’m excited to see how I’ll like Tenet...

Not for me, he seems to be improving on aspects that he lacked before. Look at his previous works, they all feel cold, calculated and mechanical. They lack real emotion and Nolan relies too much on the same backstory for characters (DEAD WIVES). Much like Kubrick, his work is a marvel, but distant emotionally. I think Inception was a turning point. Critics tend to point out his lack of emotion for films so Inception was the first one that tried to incorporate it into the story with the Cob & Mal relationship. This is heightened with Cob's main goal being "get back to see my kids". The emotion is there in the final image of the top. While people like to debate if it falls or not (I'm in the it does camp) it's clear to me that the final scene is an emotional one for the character and the audience as well.

Moving on to Interstellar, we have one of his most emotionally draining films. Two scenes jump out at me. The first is when Cooper is leaving and we get the shot of him in the truck, breaking down emotionally while Murph is regretting her decision to not say good bye. The shot alone is well blocked. Then the "big" one when Cooper is watching the YEARS go by in video messages. His kids are no longer kids, he's missed their entire lives. It's a gut wrenching scene, acted beautifully. My one complaint is that when they meet up in the end, it's a tad too quick. I'm glad Nolan doesn't milk the scene for tears, but a moment or two longer would have been nice.

Finally Dunkirk might be his most emotionally engaging film, despite not being in your face about it like Interstellar is. It's also his first film that is based on historical facts and it continues to show his technical prowess with stellar sequences involving boats and planes. Watching Tom Hardy's plane glide in the air is a beautiful moment. With the exception of Following, Dunkirk is Nolan's shortest film, but it's the most tense. The entire running time is that ticking clock. Could he have ended the film with the shot with the flaming plane as a nice metaphor? Sure, but he gives us a little moment of silence with the boys on the train. It's a nice bookend to the eerie silence we get at the beginning.

The Dark Knight Rises is a misstep for me. The scale got a little out of his hands and while there are indeed great moments, as a whole I was left mixed. He still cannot film fight choreography properly.

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
Hopefully this gets a theatrical re-release, whenever.

Or single occupancy viewings.

Dunkirk has actually improved over the last couple years for me. Interstellar has been up and down for me. TDKR was by far his worse movie imo, but I do think he might have been compromised by Ledger's death. I think he had a bigger role for the Joker in that movie.

Excited for Tenet whenver we are allowed to see the damn thing.

Welcome to the human race...
Finally got to see it and not to dash anyone's hopes or anything but it's probably one of his worst (if not the worst). Review forthcoming.