Slow West (2015)

→ in
Tools    

Slow West(2015)
This is the first film directed by Scottish director John Mclean who has formed a new working partnership with the ever reliable Michael Fassbender. The film has a similar feel to it like the Danish Western film the Salvation starring Mads Mikkelson which explore the settlement of Europeans in the United States during the conflicts with Native Americans. Mclean says that the Coen brothers are his biggest inspiration for his career. This is a UK-New Zealand film by Film4 Productions who were also behind 12 years as a Slave(2013).It won the Sundance Institute's World Cinema Jury Prize: Dramatic Winner.

The film embarks on a hapless journey of 16 year old Scotsman Jay(newcomer Kodi Smit-McPhee) to find Rosie Ross(Caren Pistorius-another newcomer but not related to Oscar) who has fled Scotland for Western USA. It is clear from the start how ill prepared Jay is when faced with his first confrontation with the help of Silas (Fassbender). However amongst those heading in a similar direction is gang leader Payne(Ben Mendelsohn of The Dark Knight Rises and Netflix series Bloodline).

The performances are not particularly intense and are more semi comedic like the Coens’ film O Brother where art thou?(2000). There are a number of comical mistakes in gathering resources and trusting one another. The story has a number of interesting characters on the journey such as the musical men from African who speak to Jay in French or a European novel writer. The characters are merely reacting to the circumstances of their time. The film comes across as more of a fable of incivility in the name of trade and survival.

This western is a mere 86 minutes so character development was always going to be limited. There is a one dimensional musical composing like Joe(2013) However the story itself has a lot of originality away from your typical American western of past and present. If you enjoy the Fassbender movie persona the film is definitely for you where this is a western with a twist.

He may idolize the Coens, but I don't really see any of their sensibilities, either in tone or visuals, evident in Slow West. But I'm a huge Westerns fan and I liked Slow West quite a bit. Nothing new added to the genre here, and adding anything new is a tall order after being around for a hundred years or so, but while it is all familiar it was also done very well, and Michael Fassbender makes any movie better.

There were some good Westerns released last year. The Revenant and The Hateful Eight got all of the press, attention, and major awards consideration, but both Slow West and Bone Tomahawk are quite good, too.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Saw this. Really liked it. I agree it's very-good-but-not-great. Some of the shots in that last big scene are something, though. The still camera with the carnival-style popups out of the wheat, for example. Really great stuff. It's a little dissonant, because I don't think there was a whole lot of that earlier in the film, but it was still delightful.

I keep meaning to watch this. It has 2 of my fav actors in it.
Ben Mendelsohn & Edwin Wright?