2020 Movie Challenge

Tools    

Also answers to Jabba
I love the back and forth and I will get back to it soon as I just returned from 3 weeks' vacation during which I decided to minimize my online time as much as possible.

The obvious classic Disney clarification that is required here: My phrasing was off. It is meant as any Disney animated film. That is to exclude live action films seeing as that subcategory focuses on animation. There will definitely be changes again next year, as I always shuffle things around and your feedback will be taken into consideration. I personally don't see duds as a problem as they can offer perspective, in an actor's career for instance (it certainly happened with me and Eastwood last year) and nobody can guarantee that you will find great films to fit each category.

Welcome to the human race...
I might be biased because I picked Nicolas Cage and out of the ten films I watched I liked maybe one or two of them. At least with De Niro I liked more than that. Guess I need to get more particular about my choice there. In any case, you can always substitute categories - I was having issues tracking down the films for last year's "10 films from the AFI Top 100" challenge so I swapped it to watching "10 films from the Cannes Awards Winners' List". As long as it's still a challenge to you, I guess it still counts.

The trick is not minding
I chose John Wayne for this year. We’ll see how that works out, as I’m mostly watching his lesser known stuff like The Flying Tigers, Brannigan and Angel and the Badman.

I get your point, but I find the above challenges to be plenty challenging as is. I agree with the 10 films Directed by women Would be challenging as well. As well as interesting and intriguing.
Is it that challenging to watch women-directed films? I've watched 4 in the last three weeks (The Old Guard, Sleepwalk, When Pigs Fly, Sea Fever).

The "woman directed" category might be especially interesting if you couldn't repeat the same director, or if you couldn't repeat nationalities or if you had to range across at least three different decades.

I'm loving looking at what you guys have done for your categories and the films you've picked for them. I know I'm way behind, but I might have to get a spreadsheet going and see if with the films I've watched this year I'm close to any of the categories. Honestly, some of the movements you've mentioned are things I hadn't heard of before.

Welcome to the human race...
By my count, I've seen forty (fewer if you discount mixed-gender teams) - that accounts for one in every ten films I've seen so far this year. Like any challenge, it's just a matter of getting motivated to do it (and people could always use more motivation on that front). The one-film-per-director aspect could be interesting - perhaps an Ultra-Nightmare Mode where the number is higher or the challenge more obscure - plus it makes me think about how different "10 films from the same decade" would be if you could only watch one film from each year (1950, 1951, 1952, etc.).

Is it that challenging to watch women-directed films? I've watched 4 in the last three weeks (The Old Guard, Sleepwalk, When Pigs Fly, Sea Fever).
I don't watch movies to challenge myself, but out of curiosity, I checked women-directed films I've seen this year and the initial count appears to be nine (The Old Guard, The Turning, Klyftan, The Lodge, Sea Fever, Meek's Cutoff, The Night Porter, Birds of Prey, and Let the Corpses Tan). Doesn't seem that challenging to me either.

By my count, I've seen forty (fewer if you discount mixed-gender teams) - that accounts for one in every ten films I've seen so far this year. Like any challenge, it's just a matter of getting motivated to do it (and people could always use more motivation on that front).
Definitely agree that it's not something most people seek out (or pay attention to) unless given some direction. When I skimmed what I watched in July, I was like "Oh" when I realized that Old Guard and Sea Fever were woman-directed.

The one-film-per-director aspect could be interesting - perhaps an Ultra-Nightmare Mode where the number is higher or the challenge more obscure - plus it makes me think about how different "10 films from the same decade" would be if you could only watch one film from each year (1950, 1951, 1952, etc.).
I think that a film from each year of a decade is a cool challenge. Then again, so would 10 films from the same year.

Also, LOL, I'm obviously enjoying talking shop with ya'll, Please don't take any of these thoughts as a criticism of your game, when I haven't even done a single category yet.

The trick is not minding
Also, it should be pointed out that 10 films of any kind is not a challenge, but taken as a whole, such as nightmare mode and regular mode, it does become become challenging to complete the whole thing.

Also, it should be pointed out that 10 films of any kind is not a challenge, but taken as a whole, such as nightmare mode and regular mode, it does become become challenging to complete the whole thing.
That's fair enough.

"Challenge" is also somewhat subjective. For example "Watch 10 Spanish Language Films" might be a challenge to some people, but if a person is a native Spanish speaker, they might watch 10 Spanish language films in a month. Same with genre (I watch a ton of horror, but would probably never watch 10 musicals in a year without a prompt).

I guess my point was that even an average "movie buff" probably watches at least 10 woman-directed films without making an effort to do so. But perhaps not. And perhaps having it as a category would make some viewers reflect on the degree to which the films they watched are skewed in that way.

Honestly, the sheer number of films is the challenge. It doesn't really matter what the categories are when the challenge requires 162 movies so you're right and arguing about the "challenge" of a single category is sort of pointless.

Also answers to Jabba
The number of films is indeed a big part of the challenge, but I would like to think it is doable for most of the people who would hang out in a movie forum. I would be apprehensive to add a third tier with more films.

As for the categories themselves, they are a way to guide everyone to diversify their viewings (and of course mine). Nightmare mode is of course harder, having 10 films per category, but I like to think it is wide enough for everyone to set their own level of difficulty. Some of you already brought examples of this: somebody could go with 10 US films which is ridiculously easy, but another might feel like sampling a country he/she hasn't really explored before is worth the effort. Same with genres and decades. I would rather have this as something open to everyone and let people chose their own level of involvement/difficulty than make it uber tough and have myself and a couple more participants in.

I took "classic" to mean a certain period in their history much like "renaissance" describes the period from The Little Mermaid until...I'm not actually sure. In any case, 1970 sounds like a good cut-off since it seems like Disney kind of fell out of fashion during the '70s and '80s.

D. I'm not bad, I'm just drawn that way:
[Watch an animated film from each of the animation styles/production companies listed below]
1. Classic Disney

B. Times are a-changing
[Watch one film from each of these iconic decade-genre combinations]
1. 1930s gangster film
2. 1940s noir film
3. 1950s western
4. 1960s science fiction
5. 1970s horror

It's clearly labeled under style not Time Period or Movements, classic Disney is handdrawn and went from Snow White till i think the Princess and the Frog

The trick is not minding
D. I'm not bad, I'm just drawn that way:
[Watch an animated film from each of the animation styles/production companies listed below]
1. Classic Disney

B. Times are a-changing
[Watch one film from each of these iconic decade-genre combinations]
1. 1930s gangster film
2. 1940s noir film
3. 1950s western
4. 1960s science fiction
5. 1970s horror

It's clearly labeled under style not Time Period or Movements, classic Disney is handdrawn and went from Snow White till i think the Princess and the Frog
Yep. Jabs clarified it.

The trick is not minding
My progress so far!

Main Challenge  

Nightmare Mode  

Also answers to Jabba
@Wyldesyde19 good to see you compiling a list.

Tip; It would make your list more readable if you added some markup on the films. Bold or some color, anything to make them stand out.

The trick is not minding
@Wyldesyde19 good to see you compiling a list.

Tip; It would make your list more readable if you added some markup on the films. Bold or some color, anything to make them stand out.
I was thinking the same thing. Will next time I update

A little help friends?

For the category of a film from the HoF, where do I find these lists? I saw them once before, but can't remember where.

And does the film have to be the winner of the HoF, or just one of the nominees?

Any direction appreciated!

A little help friends?

For the category of a film from the HoF, where do I find these lists? I saw them once before, but can't remember where.

And does the film have to be the winner of the HoF, or just one of the nominees?

Any direction appreciated!
You can find that info here on the 2nd and 3rd post:
Movie HALL of FAME Archives & Info

You can find that info here on the 2nd and 3rd post:
Movie HALL of FAME Archives & Info
Awesome--thanks!

And from looking at the format I'll assume that the category intends us to watch one of the winner.

Thanks again!