Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Boldly going.
Weekend at Bernie's
8/10.
Great summer movie, with excellent physical comedy.
On a side note, Terry Kiser's character (when alive) reminds me of Tony Stark.
I would have loved to have taken a tour of the beach house (if it had been a real beach house and hadn't been dismantled after production).

Here is a true "Weekend at Bernie's" story:

A classic of British cinema that still holds up.

1st Re-watch...The 2014 Best Picture Oscar winner is a dark and disturbing blend of fantasy and reality that examines the inner demons of a movie star who is trying to revive his career on Broadway. This film is movie magic, thanks to endlessly imaginative direction and the powerhouse performance from Michael Keaton that won him a Golden Globe and should have won him an Oscar.

1st Re-watch...The 2014 Best Picture Oscar winner is a dark and disturbing blend of fantasy and reality that examines the inner demons of a movie star who is trying to revive his career on Broadway. This film is movie magic, thanks to endlessly imaginative direction and the powerhouse performance from Michael Keaton that won him a Golden Globe and should have won him an Oscar.

Movie magic indeed.

I agree 100%. Both of my thumbs way, way up for this wonderful film! ~Doc

Point Blank (1967)

Point Blank is pretty great. A lot of the imagery/visuals are really cool. If you get a chance to watch it on DVD, the director's commentary is just excellent.

I just finished watching Extraction, it is a great movie, I'd rate it 8 out of 10.

Having grown up on a steady diet of westerns, but also having abstained for a long time, The Ballad of Buster Scruggs was really enjoyable. This time the Coen Brothers managed to bring just about every western stereotype into one terrific flick. You have well dressed dudes, in white-hat and black hat costumes in gunfights, gnarly prospectors striking a vein of gold, steam railroads clanking across the wild west, wagon trains, snarling villains, booze, Indian attacks, hangin's, saloon girls who actually are hookers, bar fights and just about anything else you can cram into 2 1/2 hours. It saved me from having to rewatch ALL those old westerns again. It has six stories, each an archetypal western plot line.

Legend in my own mind

Baby Driver (2017) rewatch

The Fisher King
This is a rewatch but I haven’t seen this in many years. Jeff Bridges plays a radio DJ who’s on a fast downward spiral due to a tragedy he feels responsible for. On the verge of suicide he is saved by Robin Williams character who is also connected to the same tragedy.
A very touching story with a very bizarre plot and characters to match. Highly enjoyable.

I have not...I'm definitely curious to see it now
I think it's one of the best (admittedly dark, with plenty of cringe) comedies of the last decade.

I read a few reviews of Downhill, and while it sounded good it didn't sound like it was quite different enough to watch.

I think it's one of the best (admittedly dark, with plenty of cringe) comedies of the last decade.

I read a few reviews of Downhill, and while it sounded good it didn't sound like it was quite different enough to watch.
I agree! Force Majeure is a unicorn in the best possible sense.

Dredd (2012)

Special thanks to @John McClane

Just what I needed last night, and a great film in itself. I can’t believe I hadn’t got round to it before. The fact that Cassandra is a psychic and that’s somehow totally cool and unexplained is brilliant. Lots of other great moments too. Didn’t feel a 100% like sci-fi to me either, in a good way, but I can’t think of how to categorise it.

Dredd (2012)

Special thanks to @John McClane

Just what I needed last night, and a great film in itself. I can’t believe I hadn’t got round to it before. The fact that Cassandra is a psychic and that’s somehow totally cool and unexplained is brilliant. Lots of other great moments too. Didn’t feel a 100% like sci-fi to me either, in a good way, but I can’t think of how to categorise it.
Dredd is one of my favorite films of the last ten years. It is endlessly rewatchable.

While I could say a ton of nice things about it (the acting, the action sequences, the best use of slow-motion possibly ever), maybe what I appreciated the most was the way that the relationship is developed between Dredd and Anderson. Yes, she's a rookie. But both the film and Dredd himself show her a lot more respect than the "innocent" usually gets in such films.

I think that where you see this the most is in the sequence where
WARNING: spoilers below
they make it to the control room and catch the Domhnall Gleeson character. Dredd wants to execute him, but Anderson argues that he's actually a victim because he's been threatened and coerced. Dredd respects her judgement (despite it conflicting with his own) and lets her choice stand. What's more--we the viewer can see that Anderson is actually making the correct decision and that in this case Dredd is wrong.

It's a nice moment because the point is that she should be capable of being a Judge on her own. By resisting always having Dredd be the decision maker, and by minimizing the amount of "damsel in distress" stuff with her character, the film develops a much more meaningful partnership than the typical rookie/mentor cop film.