Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Dr. Terror's House of Horrors (1965)

Pretty OK as far as Anthology's go. The one with the creeping vine being particularly daft! The voodoo one was the best one. Seen better seen worse in these types of film.

Dr. Terror's House of Horrors (1965)

Pretty OK as far as Anthology's go. The one with the creeping vine being particularly daft! The voodoo one was the best one. Seen better seen worse in these types of film.

Vault of Horror is worth a look if you are into anthology films.

Vault of Horror is worth a look if you are into anthology films.
Thanks Thunderbolt, reading Wiki, I don't believe I have! A curious film structure but good that you can dip in and out for the not-so-interesting segments...Tales That Witness Madness was also pretty good.

'The Painted Bird' (2020)
Directed by Václav Marhoul

I'd already decided this film was a masterpiece by the half way point. There have been many films that cover the horrors of Europe during WW2. But very few have done it as well as this. It does surely contain some of the most harrowing scenes in cinema, but it's also utterly astonishing in terms of the quality of film-making, the casting, the consistency of shot composition etc. It's just stunning. There are indelible images left on my brain whether I want them there or not. Anybody who appreciates films like Come and See, The White Ribbon and Ivan's Childhood might want to give this a go. There's a huge nod to Come and See regarding one of the cast members. And the performance by the young lad is brilliant. There's even a little nod to the cinema of Mikhail Kalatozov. Václav Marhoul has created a masterpiece. Yes it's controversial, yes it's harrowing but films like these don't come around very often.

9.7 out of 10
Absolutely astonishing

Antrum: The Deadliest Film Ever Made

A young boy and girl enter the forest to dig a hole to hell. Said to be a cursed film from the late 70's

This is as strange as it sounds and it is not a nice movie, Im not saying its bad its just a bad dream and genuinely I found it quite eerie.. the atmosphere, camera, weird otherworldly-ness, story wise I found it boring as hell as they are just wondering through woods and I literally faded out for a lot of it, I have to admit I even skipped a few times [also hoping this will help me not die mysteriously] Oh the first 10 minutes is kind of a mockumentary about this cursed film and then they show it, this was done really effectively and I wasnt expecting them to say it, I just thought it was going to a whole bag of mixed styles like found footage has turned into now with terrible actors speaking to camera all the time but no its like here's the film in its entirity and then its bad nightmare time and this goes on for some time ... skip, skip, skip... then there is a cruel and disturbing ending like out of something like the texas chainsaw massacre..

I'm not sure how to rate this, I didnt really like it but it was effective in its own way but just horrible.
Do you know what a roller pigeon is, Barney? They climb high and fast, then roll over and fall just as fast toward the earth. There are shallow rollers and deep rollers. You can’t breed two deep rollers, or their young will roll all the way down, hit, and die. Officer Starling is a deep roller, Barney. We should hope one of her parents was not.

Amelie from Montmartre 10 out of 10

Thanks Thunderbolt, reading Wiki, I don't believe I have! A curious film structure but good that you can dip in and out for the not-so-interesting segments...Tales That Witness Madness was also pretty good.
Yes it's one of my classic along with tales from the crypte 1972 which i prefer just a little.

The Hater (2020)

4/5
First of all, I was glad to find this properly dubbed! Netflix is evolving. The film of course borrows from American History X, but also, surprisingly, from Nightcrawler (especially where the younger protagonist enchants and eventually seduces his much older female boss). I take issue with such films being labelled ‘antihero’ films - that dilutes the term to the extent that we don’t know what it is supposed to mean. Tomasz doesn’t seem to have any agenda - he just needs a job. This is where The Hater differs from Believer, which came to mind when I started watching this. Partly because of this lack of agenda or conviction, Tomasz’ vulnerability doesn’t feel grounded or justified, which diminishes the impact of showing it. We don’t know why he’s crying in the bathroom and why he’s so lonely, especially since he appears sociable enough and has no issues interacting with the world. If he’s unhappy because Gabi doesn’t like him, the film threatens to veer into teenage angst territory, which I think is the last thing it intends to do. Unlike in American History X, we don’t get to see what has damaged the protagonist enough to engage in psychological warfare, and he didn’t seem invested enough in his law course emotionally for it to be just that. American History X countered that problem of motivation by having Danny look up to his brother, already damaged by the movement and incarcerated for that, so we can say Danny wants revenge. But Thomasz in The Hater has no family, and no significant attachment to anyone. I didn’t buy the obsession with Gabi and her family, but that might just be me. The film is a bit illogical - the seduction scene is absolutely ridiculous, and never seems to have any implications. But somehow, it does all join up into a fairly compelling character study. It’s a shame the film didn’t address the topic of who orders the smear campaigns in detail - Thomasz’ ‘clients’ - as that could have made it more rooted in the reality of business and corporate spying, like The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. It could have had a little more action. I didn’t really understand why ‘animation’ was listed as one of the genres. It must be because of the video game segments (that made me think of Striking Vipers), but did they really take up enough time to warrant an additional genre? Oddly enough, I feel like I might rewatch this soon.

Happy as Lazzaro (2018, Alice Rohrwacher)

Rip Van Winkle meets Au Hasard Balthazar under The Tree of Wooden Clogs.

Legacy of Lies (2020)

A spy action thriller with Scott Adkins. It's not original in any way, but it makes the same-old in a rather entertaining style. It sort of reminds me of the B-action films Luc Besson has written and/or produced in the last 20+ years, but it's better than most of them (no, it's not better than Taken). Oh, and with Ukrainian money involved it should be obvious who the bad guys are. The very last scene is completely unnecessary but other than that it's solid OK.

'The Painted Bird' (2020)
Directed by Václav Marhoul
Wonder why The NY Times hasn’t reviewed this yet? Or did I miss it. I have put it in my Netflix Q though it looks very grim & grizzly. Stellan is in it & Harvey Keitel so that’s good.Will see if it’s not too ghastly.

Happy as Lazzaro (2018, Alice Rohrwacher)
Quite enjoyed this movie.

(1975)
Haven’t seen this one in a while but given the current climate it seems quite appropriate. Cronenberg hits the spot in one of his first body horror themed movies. Terribly dated but a great slice of horror.

Snowtown aka The Snowtown Murders (2011)

2nd time watch of the dramatised version of serial killings in Adelaide, Australia. The film is disturbing and the acting top notch. Daniel Henshall's malevolent portrayal of the main protagonist is spine-chilling and I would like to see him get as good parts in future.

What's most shocking in the film is the depiction of how easily the downtrodden/overlooked in society can follow someone/something so twisted that it actually feels like redemption. Great film.

Snowtown aka The Snowtown Murders (2011)

2nd time watch of the dramatised version of serial killings in Adelaide, Australia. The film is disturbing and the acting top notch. Daniel Henshall's malevolent portrayal of the main protagonist is spine-chilling and I would like to see him get as good parts in future.

What's most shocking in the film is the depiction of how easily the downtrodden/overlooked in society can follow someone/something so twisted that it actually feels like redemption. Great film.

Love that film. It’s beautifully shot and is quite deep for what could easily be a forgettable exercise in morbidity.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

Office (Johnnie To, 2015)
6/10
Konga (John Lemont, 1961)
4/10
20,000 Years in Sing Sing (Michael Curtiz, 1932)
5.5/10
The Hunter (Buzz Kulik, 1980)
6.5/10

Pappy Thorson (Steve McQueen) can't drive worth a crap.
Fragile as the World (Rita Azevedo Gomes, 2001)
5.5/10
The Kissing Booth 2 (Vince Marcello, 2020)
.5/10
My Entire High School Sinking Into the Sea (Dash Shaw, 2016)
+ 6/10
All of Me (Carl Reiner, 1984)
6.5/10

Lily Tomlin possesses half of Steve Martin's body.
Turkey Shoot (Brian Trenchard-Smith, 1982)
6/10 93 min
Amulet (Romola Garai, 2020)
5/10
Offering to the Storm (Fernando González Molina, 2020)
6/10
Big Wednesday (John Milius, 1978)
6.5/10

Surfing can inform your life
Once There Was Brasilia (Adirley Queirós, 2017)
+ 4.5/10
Enter Laughing (Carl Reiner, 1967)
6.5/10
Love and Lies (Roger Young, 1990)
6/10
Where's Poppa? (Carl Reiner, 1970)
+ 6.5/10

So many classic bad taste scenes - the dog arrest, the gorilla rape, the "gook murder" trial, the tush, etc.
The Comic (Carl Reiner, 1969)
6.5/10
Again Once Again (Romina Paula, 2019)
+ 5/10
My Normal (Irving Schwartz, 2009)
5.5/10
Oh God! (Carl Reiner, 1977)
7/10

God (George Burns) picks a non-believer grocery store assistant manager (John Denver) to spread his message.