The Fantasy Hall of Fame

Tools    

I did when Cosmic nominated it in the 40s HoF II. Here's my review of it
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...50#post1718150
Yes.. but there was a flow to the camera shots...

Here is one from another of his films.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

La belle et la bête

Belle: My name is Belle. I have come to offer my life in exchange for my father's.
(Mon nom est Belle. Je suis venu offrir ma vie en échange de celle de mon père.)

The first time that I saw Léa Seydoux that she truly caught my attention and curiosity to see more of her was in Mission Impossible; Ghost Protocol where she played an assassin/thief,

and now, alongside of one of my favorite currently working french actors, Vincent Cassel, it has come to fruition.
Starting this HoF with a very beautifully rendered fairy tale that I've enjoyed in a number of film adaptations. I won't go into comparisons or rating one against the other, though I have seen and enjoyed this story since early childhood.

Like any adaptation, there is always some subtle and/or not so subtle changes depending on any given Director's vision of the fairy tale and with this variation regarding "why" the prince is changed into a beast and, by extension, the finale of this film, I truly did enjoy the addition. Giving this age old fairy tale an even more fantastical folklore experience. As well as a more in depth romantic tragedy to it all. Filling in, what always seemed to me as a slight blank spot as merely a selfish prince being taught a very harsh lesson.

As I said, befitting a beautiful romantic fairy tale, every little nuance from the cold wintry town of where Belle's family lives to the grandiose, exquisite castle and grounds of where the Beast dwells. Adding to that, I found the reciting of the story as a bedtime story was just one more enchanting nuance to this adaption.
From costumes to the various settings to the characters and dialogue I have been enamored by it all.
YAYYYY

I just watched DragonHeart. In many cases, 20+ years have changed my opinion on a film but this was crap 24 years ago and remains the same today. Full sh*tting on review in a few days.
This is gonna be good.
Let 'er rip, pahak!

Watching Kwaiden right now. I had seen this like 30+ years ago... still got one more story to go (had to take a personal break).. seriously the "Tales From the Crypt" people did rip off from the 2nd story...

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Side Film 2

One of the things I like about this hall is so many of these stories have been told before. So I decided to re-watch the Disney Classic. It's crazy to watch this film 30 years later and after two remakes. Beauty and the Beast (1991) tells the familiar story of a Beauty (Belle) who manages to trade herself to the Beast so that her father can go free. I don't know if this is the best animated Disney film ever made but it's pretty damn close. I don't think the animators wasted a shot or scene in this film. The music is timeless but it's also where the majority of the exposition is dumped.

The films other strength is that and this is the weird part...Belle is likable here. The other two Belles were both fairly obnoxious this Belle is more...I guess you could call her adorkable. She's a Disney princess but she doesn't feel or act like a princess and that's something that has been missing from all the recent live action ones. It's sad that a human can't create an actual ingenue anymore, it's a loss of innocence that I feel has come with the times.

I also love the character arc of Gaston, he isn't a traditional villain but the way his ego corrupts him during the course of the story is so well executed. This film's moral is about pride and entitlement, the filmmakers do a great job of showing us the thin line between Gaston and The Beast as they both have the same wounds but one goes to far with revenge while the other wallows in self pity neither are ideal however they both work up until the thrilling climax.

I think Disney's version of Beauty and the Beast (1991) is easily the best. Maybe it's because of the music, but it has a lighter feeling to it than the live action versions, and it certainly doesn't hurt that Belle is likeable in this version.

While the story is similar, I think it's unfair to compare Disney's version with the other versions because they seem to be aimed at different audiences.

DragonHeart (1996)

Remember how I said before this HoF that I like fantasy as a genre, but think most of the films are trash? DragonHeart is just the kind of movie that's responsible for that opinion.

The scale of DragonHeart reminds me of the Italian barbarian films of the 80s. We have a king whose kingdom consists of a handful of villages and a castle in the middle of nowhere. As far as I know, the movie is supposed to happen in England, which makes this nameless nation even sillier. The battles are pathetic, especially when compared to Braveheart that had only a little bigger budget. B-movie execution, but without B-movie charm.

The story is complete nonsense; the dragon bounds himself to a young king he knows to be no good, the boy's mentor somehow thinks that the whiny brat is the second coming of Christ, and when the boy turns into a rotten king his former mentor kills all the dragons from the British Isles except the last one whom he befriends. Oh, and then we have the dragon heaven, that makes the extinction a bliss for these ancient reptiles (obviously every creature bows to the dominion of man). DragonHeart offers a full menu of fantasy cliches, but unfortunately, it tastes like a post-meal vomit.

I wonder if the writers know Polish because the Geralt and Dandelion vibe is so strong with Bowen and Gilbert. Bowen is the only character with any moral ambiguity; everyone else is just good or bad (and Draco is like a puppy following Bowen's lead and seeking a martyr's death for humanity). Einon is naughty because that's how evil tyrants are, right? And obviously, no one ages a day during the 12-year skip. At least character writing is on par with everything else.

Draco looks good considering the age of the film, and there is some nice pyrotechnics as well. I can't think of much else positive to say.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I thought it would have got burned more. I can see how one wouldn't care for it, but like I said it was a decently fun ride for me.

I'll be going for Dark Crystal next

I thought it would have got burned more. I can see how one wouldn't care for it, but like I said it was a decently fun ride for me.
Honestly, I didn't want to spend too much time writing that so it's not as colorful as it could be. Also, the word filter here limits my creativity with negative reviews

Honestly, I didn't want to spend too much time writing that so it's not as colorful as it could be. Also, the word filter here limits my creativity with negative reviews
It's interesting that writing colorfully worded negative reviews have became a thing in the HoFs...I suppose I'm partially to blame for that

Even if I can't stand a film, I don't like to be overly negative in my write-ups. That's not fun for me. I try to challenge myself to find something I liked or appreciated, or at least understood the appeal of, so that I'm not just bashing the film. I don't always succeed at that, and I'm sure some of my reviews in the past have still been real downers for the people who enjoyed those films.

Though, I do sometimes find it amusing to read other people's "spirited" opinions. MV in particular has written some great negative reviews. I imagine it can be a little cathartic to just get all of that out. Maybe I should try it some time...though I probably won't haha.

Even if I can't stand a film, I don't like to be overly negative in my write-ups. That's not fun for me. I try to challenge myself to find something I liked or appreciated, or at least understood the appeal of, so that I'm not just bashing the film. I don't always succeed at that, and I'm sure some of my reviews in the past have still been real downers for the people who enjoyed those films.

Though, I do sometimes find it amusing to read other people's "spirited" opinions. MV in particular has written some great negative reviews. I imagine it can be a little cathartic to just get all of that out. Maybe I should try it some time...though I probably won't haha.
Agree, for the most part I like to focus on the positive if I can.

How about saying a film is so boring after many years, you just can't watch it again!

For the most part, I'm like Cosmic and TRY to be easy-going when it comes to reviewing, and it's only been recent that I've let chagrin have a say in any of it. Which, at times, have been quite cathartic. lol

And yes, there are some folks that are a delight to read when giving a bad review. Both MV and pahak are at the top of that. Hence, why I was enthused to hear pahak tear into my nomination.
Siddon's critical eye is an interesting read as far as analytical breakdown. Along with MM who has a great eye for dissection of a film though I wouldn't place him in the negative review arena.

And CR, you are simply honest and very polite when it comes to reviews. Any dislike is accompanied by an apology, along with reasons why. Basically "Sorry, this wasn't for me," and then you courteous/humorously delve into them and finish up with a positive note.

ha haa I think we've all been guilty of that one
Because its boring, should I give up in trying to rewatch i

Kwaidan
(1965)
Directed by Masaki Kobayashi
Nominated by @Siddon

First I want to say "great choice" to @Siddon. After watching this, I realized I had seen this long ago, at least 30+ years. A lot of the stories seemed very familiar, it was a nice refresher. I love mythology, folklore and fairytales of many cultures, Japan being one. They love their ghosts, demons, shapeshifters and stories of battles. Kwaidan covered them all. I have to say my favorite is The Woman of the Snow with In A Cup of Tea being my least.

The Woman of the Snow covered both a Goddess and a Shapeshifter. I like how the story played out. There has been many of the same type. There is always a promise involved that can not be shared and if so, death will ensue.

I really enjoyed this.

Thank you @Siddon.

fyi.. I have written my own version of a shapeshifter tale and set in Japan, based off one of my favorite folklore. I will share if there is interest. I know @Wyldesyde19 has read it.