The Fantasy Hall of Fame

Tools    

I love the pictures of the historic sites you posted. I love visiting these types of ruins, and Merlins Cave is simply amazing.
The history behind it all would leave me in awe.
If you ever get a trip to the UK.. definitely get that book. It's highly interesting and has mile markers where the sites are.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.

The Lord of the Rings:
The Fellowship of the Ring

(Peter Jackson 2001)

Subjectively: I was bored with the lack of exposition and felt I never was invested enough to care about what was happening on the screen. It didn't help that I couldn't make out 1/3rd of the dialogue, thanks to the sound mix being extremely heavy on the score. The endless creepy creatures and sword fighting did little for me. While I was amazed at the sheer spectacularness of it all, I struggled to have any connection to the actual story.

I'm hoping that the next two movies are more character-driven. I felt like I didn't learn much about the characters in the first movie, with the exceptions of Frodo and Samwise Gamgee.

I've done that with Star Trek. I just rewatched ST Voyager and swear that there was missing scenes in some of my favorite episodes. Only I realized I had created in my head additional scenes that were never there. My version was better too! Does anyone ever do that?

That's funny because that actually happened to my mother with the original "Star Trek" show. She saw them way back when they originally aired in the 1960s, and she always told me that there were scenes missing when we watched certain episodes, but I thought she was just misremembering stuff.

Years later, we were watching some episodes on an out-of-state PBS channel, and suddenly some of those scenes that she described were there! We spoke to someone at the local station, (the channel where the scenes were missing), and he explained that when these shows are sent to the local stations, many of them cut the episodes for time for commercials, but they're supposed to put the cut scenes back when they send the episodes back. Apparently, some stations just never put those scenes back, so that's why they're not on the reruns.

Some great reviews over the weekend and VERY HAPPY to see GBG make it official with her nomination; ET vs Ma Bell
Haven't seen this since the late 80s, early 90s so it'll be a very welcomed revisit. I did originally see this in the movie theater which was an ideal way to see it and will be intrigued to see how it feels or if I get teary along with the very young Drew Barrymore does in the film.

I've seen E.T. about 100 times, and I still cry every time.

I like Disney , and really enjoyed their Beauty and the Beast. To me it wasn't a cash grab at all. And also, the score and songs were amazing!!

Sorry I didn't love it, but it was a good nom anyways, thank you for choosing it!!

I love the Disney version of Beauty and the Beast, but I wouldn't try to compare other versions to the Disney version. Disney took a classic story, and turned it into a beautiful and magical musical. The other versions that I've seen are more about the story. Disney is more about the music and the visuals. It's like comparing apples and oranges. They're both fruit, but they're very different.

Have you seen the TV show "Beauty and the Beast", (either version)? Would you compare that to Disney's version? They're both much darker than Disney will ever be.

Excalibur
(1981)
Directed by John Boorman
nominated by @Citizen Rules

Here are some historic places in South Britain.

Merlin's Cave, Cornwall

Tintagel Castle, Cornwall, which the birthplace of Arthur.

Glastonbury, Somerset, believe to be where Avalon existed.

There is even a burial site for Arthur and Guinevere.

I even own this book.

for those interested, more reading material

https://www.glastonburyabbey.com/king-arthur-avalon.php
https://kingarthursknights.com/

I haven't read your review yet because I want to watch the movie first, but those pictures are beautiful. My parents took a trip to England many years ago, and my mom showed me some pictures that look similar to those places. She probably visited all of those places you mentioned.

I'm hoping that the next two movies are more character-driven. I felt like I didn't learn much about the characters in the first movie, with the exceptions of Frodo and Samwise Gamgee.
I agree, and that's what I was trying to say in my review.

That's funny because that actually happened to my mother with the original "Star Trek" show. She saw them way back when they originally aired in the 1960s, and she always told me that there were scenes missing when we watched certain episodes, but I thought she was just misremembering stuff.

Years later, we were watching some episodes on an out-of-state PBS channel, and suddenly some of those scenes that she described were there! We spoke to someone at the local station, (the channel where the scenes were missing), and he explained that when these shows are sent to the local stations, many of them cut the episodes for time for commercials, but they're supposed to put the cut scenes back when they send the episodes back. Apparently, some stations just never put those scenes back, so that's why they're not on the reruns.
I could see that happening as tv stations cut more and more of the show to insert commercials. With me, I had watched ST Voyager on DVD and when I went back a couple years later and watched the same DVDs I could have sworn some scenes and dialogue were missing, but unless Gremlins got into the DVD case it was all just my vivid imagination.

I agree, and that's what I was trying to say in my review.
While there is a lot more development with Aragorn in The Two Towers, if you're hoping to learn more about Legolas and Gimli, set your expectations very very low. You eventually see more about Boromir and why he wanted the ring through the scenes with Faramir and their father Denethor in RotK, but unless you watch the extended editions a good portion of that story is going to be cut.

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (2001)

I read Tolkien's book for the first time when I was in early teens. It was about the time I started playing Dungeons & Dragons, too. From this geeky perspective, The Lord of the Rings is probably as important on a personal level as it is for the whole of fantasy literature. It may not be the best prose ever written, but Tolkien's world-building is unparalleled.

Back in 1987, I would have laughed at the idea that Peter "Bad Taste" Jackson would one day direct big-budget adaptation of The Lord of the Rings. Today I find the idea that someone else had done it just as inconceivable. His trilogy is one of the few massive modern film projects that feel like they're born out of passion, and that has a heart. There are issues, especially towards the end, but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

The Fellowship of the Ring is a mix of old and new. Certain scenes and settings (like the Council of Rivendell and majority of the Shire) look like something out of a Hollywood epic several decades past. It's partly due to budget constraints, I think, but Jackson's experience on zero-budget productions allows him to make most out of what he's got. Most of the action is modern, though, like Moria and orcs in general. I also like the weird close-ups that Jackson uses (and has used since the beginning).

Adapting a book as iconic as Tolkien's epic is not an easy task, but Jackson manages to get almost everything right. It's been over 20 years since I last read the book, so I can't make a detailed analysis of what's changed, but the film certainly feels like the Middle-Earth I've known since I was a kid. Just like the book, the film isn't a deep character-study, and like myths and legends in general, what the character represents is often more important than the individual itself.

An excellent start for the trilogy. I should try to re-read the book at some point, too.

CR2, you are a fan of the fairytale as well right?
Sort of I guess. I can like a movie based on a fairytale, it just depends on how the movie is made. I still might watch your original nom, Donkey Skin (1970) Peau d'âne (original title)...I've looked at it when I was checking to make sure the subs worked and it looked very inviting and I wanted to see more of the story. I've seen the 1946 version of Beauty and the Beast and liked that. Don't know if I've seen many films based on fairy tales.

I read Tolkien's book for the first time when I was in early teens. It was about the time I started playing Dungeons & Dragons, too...
My cousin played Dungeons & Dragons. I tried playing once but couldn't get into. I guess I'm not a fantasy type person and that's probably why LotR is just another movie to me...same with Star Wars, I never got into that either.

I love The Two Towers, but those scenes with the Ents needed to be cut.

MG was directing that at me, but it's nice to see your opinion too haha.

Maybe it would be less confusing if people went back to "Cosmic" instead of "CR2". Though the latter is still pretty amusing.

Maybe it would be less confusing if people went back to "Cosmic" instead of "CR2". Though the latter is still pretty amusing.
Ha, you're right! I missed the '2' part.

I love the Disney version of Beauty and the Beast, but I wouldn't try to compare other versions to the Disney version. Disney took a classic story, and turned it into a beautiful and magical musical. The other versions that I've seen are more about the story. Disney is more about the music and the visuals. It's like comparing apples and oranges. They're both fruit, but they're very different.

Have you seen the TV show "Beauty and the Beast", (either version)? Would you compare that to Disney's version? They're both much darker than Disney will ever be.
Nope, I haven't!

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

CR is CR
Cosmic IS Cosmic

Here endeth the lesson

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

Excalibur
(1981)
Directed by John Boorman
nominated by @Citizen Rules

Everyone knows the story of Arthur, son of Uther and Igraine. During the time of unrest after the Romans deserted Britain, the people were looking for a king. Uther, with the help of the Druid Merlin, begot the sword Excalibur and became King of all Britain. Because of Uther's lust for Igraine, Merlin took the child from them. Shortly after, Uther was murdered. Arthur was fostered by one of his knights. And it seems that Britain would not have their king as Uther, before death, thrust Excalibur into a stone. Legend told of only the one true king could release Excalibur and would bring peace to a country again at war. Arthur being that one true king. Arthur married Guenivere, created his fortress Camelot and had his knights of the round table. It was round so everyone would be considered equal as there was no beginning and no end. Guenivere fell in love with Arthur's most chivalrous knight, Lancelot. Lancelot being a faithful knight to Arthur, his king, he spurred Gueniever away. Arthur's half-sister, Morgan, became an apprentice to Merlin to learn the mystical arts. Arthur catches Lancelot and his wife Guinevere in a romantic embrace. Morgan cast a spell on Merlin and trapped him in a cave, she cast a spell over her half-brother and they create a son, Mordred. Mordred, with the help of his mother Morgan, brings destruction to Arthur and Camelot. The rest is of Welsh mythology.

I have seen many versions of this on celluloid and have read many versions on paper. I seen this movie back in the mid-'80s when it was released on cable tv. I feel the film has aged. There is to much shiny armor and swords. Even Camelot glowed above all. Some of the dramatic scenes were over dramatized. I had to chuckle about it at times. I didnt hate it but it was just there. One thing I did like was.....

WARNING: "My spoiler" spoilers below

Patrick Stewart as Leondegrance

Liam Neesom as Gawain and Ciaran Hinds as Lot

but my favorite was

Gabriel Byrne as Uther.

Here are some historic places in South Britain.

Merlin's Cave, Cornwall

Tintagel Castle, Cornwall, which the birthplace of Arthur.

Glastonbury, Somerset, believe to be where Avalon existed.

There is even a burial site for Arthur and Guinevere.

I even own this book.

for those interested, more reading material

https://www.glastonburyabbey.com/king-arthur-avalon.php
https://kingarthursknights.com/
LOVED the photos and pretty happy to see the actors that I knew nothing of when this film came out. I had imagined there's be a number of them since when seeing older films it's a bit of a game in our house to try to recognize actors and a joy to see them at different ages and places in their careers.