The Fantasy Hall of Fame

Tools    

I know what type you will or will not watch.

That HOF we talked about? I have the perfect film for you.

I know what type you will or will not watch.

That HOF we talked about? I have the perfect film for you.
Cool! I haven't thought about my nom but I could come up with some really good ones.

Cool! I haven't thought about my nom but I could come up with some really good ones.
I know many i could nom.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I don't have any pictures of what my collection looked like before I moved out. I couldn't take the statues with me, and my mom only kept the ones she liked the most on display. The ones that were boxed up were eventually sold at a flea market. Hopefully someone enjoyed that find!

I do however have some 10 year old photos where what she kept is visible in the background haha. These are primarily cat pictures though. If you squint, maybe you can make out the ones on the far side haha. The slightly larger blue one on the left was my favourite.

You have some nice statues. It's hard to see some of them in the pictures, but I like the one with the castle in the clouds behind that cat, (it's visible in the second picture). I have a small framed picture that's similar to that, with a dragon lying completely around the castle in the clouds, protecting the castle.

I also have a small figurine similar to the one with the dragon hatching out of the egg.

VERY cool dragons!
That second, purple one looks familiar to one we have at the house. I'll have to double check (at work presently).

Thanks.

I have a few purple dragon statues that are similar to that one. (That one was the easiest to get to for pictures. )

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (2001)
I thought that I watched this movie back when I bought the DVDs, but if I did, I didn't remember much about it. There were some scenes that looked familiar, but that could just be from seeing clips of the movie over the years.

Even though the extended version of this movie is almost 4 hours long, it didn't feel that long. It never dragged on, and it never got boring. However I'm not sure that I understood everything that was going on, but hopefully some of it will make more sense after seeing the rest of the trilogy. For example, I saw that the ring can make whoever has it disappear and reappear, but I don't quite understand what kind of actual power the ring has, or why everyone seems to want it. I'm also not sure that I fully understand the difference between a hobbit, an elf, and a dwarf, but I liked the friendship between them, and the way they protected each other on their quest.

WARNING: "SPOILERS for "The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring"!!!" spoilers below
Having heard about these movies, but not read the books, or knowing much about the stories, there were some surprises in the first movie that will probably be cleared up in the sequels. I was surprised to see Gandalf killed off in the first movie, but I'm sure that they'll find a way to bring him back in the next movie. (Maybe he comes back to guide them like Yoda did for Luke in the Star Wars movies.) I was also surprised that Gollum wasn't in this movie much, other than a brief appearance at the beginning. But on the flip side, the casting of Sean Bean as Boromir was a major spoiler because his character pretty much gets killed off in almost every movie that he's in, so it was no surprise when his character was killed.

I enjoyed the movie, and I'm looking forward to the sequels. And on the plus side, I finally understand some of the LotR references on "The Big Bang Theory".

And for anyone who's curious, this is the DVD set that I'm watching:

WARNING: "SPOILERS for "The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring"!!!" spoilers below
But on the flip side, the casting of Sean Bean as Boromir was a major spoiler because his character pretty much gets killed off in almost every movie that he's in, so it was no surprise when his character was killed.
WARNING: "Vague Sean Bean related" spoilers below
It's honestly more surprising when his character doesn't die in a film haha.

And for anyone who's curious, this is the DVD set that I'm watching:
That's the exact same set I have! I like that they look like books on the shelf.

Tideland (2005)
Directed By: Terry Gilliam
Starring: Jodelle Ferland, Brendan Fletcher, Janet McTeer

Tideland is likely going to be a very difficult film for many viewers, either due to its subject matter, or the manner in which Gilliam presents it to the audience. It's a serious story told through an incredibly absurd filter in an attempt to emulate the coping mechanisms of a young girl forced to live through traumatic circumstances. It rides a thin line that often borders on parody, intentionally creating an awkward and unsettling tone that's likely to be polarizing even among fans of Gilliam's other work.

As is typical with many of Gilliam's films, the camera often plays with perspective using high and low angle shots. There's also an abundant use of dutch angles, and subtle changes in colour palette that attempt to enhance the mood of each scene. Its presentation of escapist fantasies manages to be both highly imaginative, while also staying grounded in reality. It's a strange mix that showcases Gilliam's talent as a filmmaker, though it highlights elements that viewers will either appreciate, or thoroughly despise.

For a child actor, Jodelle Ferland gives a surprisingly good performance. The entire story is centred around her character, so the audience's ability (or inability) to connect with her will have a major impact on their enjoyment of the film. Brendan Fletcher is fantastic, providing a realistic portrayal of an abused young man with an intellectual disability. I would've like to see some more of Jeff Bridges, as he's not in the film for very long. I'm ultimately left undecided on how I feel about Tideland. It's an odd film that is definitely going to take some time to digest properly.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	tideland.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	175.1 KB
ID:	65968  

Tideland (2005)
Directed By: Terry Gilliam
Starring: Jodelle Ferland, Brendan Fletcher, Janet McTeer

For a child actor, Jodelle Ferland gives a surprisingly good performance

She does a very good job in Silent Hill.

She does a very good job in Silent Hill.
I thought she looked really familiar, but couldn't put my finger on it. I meant to look it up after, but forgot.

Which reminds me about that Sean Bean comment from earlier...

WARNING: "Silent Hill (2006) and Silent Hill: Revelation (2012)" spoilers below
Those adaptations are an example of Sean Bean surprisingly surviving films, where his character was originally supposed to die.

I thought she looked really familiar, but couldn't put my finger on it. I meant to look it up after, but forgot.

Which reminds me about that Sean Bean comment from earlier...

WARNING: "Silent Hill (2006) and Silent Hill: Revelation (2012)" spoilers below
Those adaptations are an example of Sean Bean surprisingly surviving films, where his character was originally supposed to die.
When I saw her, I knew immediately she was the little girl in Silent Hill. Christophe Gans directed it as well.

I like Sean Bean as an actor. I enjoy everything he has done, even "The Frankenstein Chronicles".

Dangerous thing, I found a tv series I am enjoying, Empire Games. So far, today, I watched "Egypt" and now "China". But I will finish the HOF probably soon.

Kwaidan (1964)

As an anthology film, Kwaidan is probably by definition hard to "rate". There is a segment I would give a 10/10 and a segment I would give a 5/10. But what's very wonderful about this particular anthology film, is that there is ghostly, sad vibe given off through each of the stories. At three hours, it was slow moving, but it also never dragged.

I've never thought I could call a horror movie one of the most truly beautiful films I've seen - but here it is. Every story has a different color scheme to it, and Good Lord does it look absolutely amazing. Kobayashi goes all out with the folk horror style, and not only do we get authentic looking temples, settings, and designs, but amazing costumes, and slow, pandering dialogue. It's... magnificent.

The Black Hair begins as more of a tragedy; a man leaves his faithful wife to live rich. From the very beginning, while nothing truly bad happens at first, there are eery vibes. The house he lives in is like a character itself, which I absolutely love. One of my favorite parts about this segment was the camera movements. We get off-putting angles that would then shift back to "normal" in the same shot. So without blood and screams, Kobayashi effectively terrifies the audience.

The Woman of the Snow, while being the story I was least impressed with, has a beautiful, snowy setting (obviously). It is also probably the most simple story, and one that I could most imagine being told at bedtime, or over a fire at night.

Hoichi the Earless absolutely blew me away, beginning with a story inside the story. A giant battle is staged, and it's only part of the epic that Hoichi recites!! The real story is where Hoichi goes every night... Like with the other shorts, it begins as creepy and slowly turns into madness. This is the closest to body horror Kwaidan gets, lets just say . Nevertheless, my favorite segment, the type of thing I would watch with or without context of the film itself.

In a Cup of Tea is an odd one, but it's by no means bad. I found that it was the most bland looking of the four segments, but the story quickly became wild and the ending was absolutely terrifying. Strangely, it's also the story that has completely left me.

I watched the film over a course of a couple days, not out of boredom, but because I felt that I would enjoy it more as four separate segments... indeed, I believe I did. Each day/segment was a new treat, and I can wholeheartedly recommend this to even non-horror fans... if you are a fan of beautiful visuals and a slow, dark, tone, check this one out!!

On a final note, I would like to point out the insanely amazing film score and sound effects by the legendary Toru Takemitsu. He also did the film scores for Ran, Harakiri, and Woman in the Dunes among many others, and is a huge figure in classical music as well. His music here was hypnotizing, and I could not think of a better score possible.

Kwaidan is an epic, but it is also astoundingly intimate, intricate, and beautiful.

-

If I could get a link to Beauty and the Beast that would be great.

I watched the film over a course of a couple days, not out of boredom, but because I felt that I would enjoy it more as four separate segments... indeed, I believe I did. Each day/segment was a new treat, and I can wholeheartedly recommend this to even non-horror fans... if you are a fan of beautiful visuals and a slow, dark, tone, check this one out!!
This kind of anthology lends itself well to breaking it up over multiple viewings like that. When I watched this just before the Japanese Hall of Fame started, I also watched it over the course of a few days, though I watched "Hoichi the Earless" and "In a Cup of Tea" back-to-back. Maybe that's part of the reason why I had mostly forgotten about the final segment. This time I just watched the entire thing at once though.

I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Tideland (2005)

Tideland probably technically isn't one of the worst movies I've seen, but it's probably one of my least favorite viewing experiences. There is not a second of this film, from the very first obnoxious narration to the last, bizarre, scenes, that I didn't hate. Every character was not only unlikable, but worse - unrealistic.

This is my second Terry Gilliam film, after Monty Python and the Holy Grail - one of my favorite comedies. As is expected, Tideland is nothing like that film, in either tone or thematic material. Instead, it reduces itself to revolting people doing revolting things. The story is not much more than a little girl running around, having increasingly darker and darker fantasies, while her father - dead from an overdose - rots in their "house". Not my idea of a great time.

To her credit, Jodelle Ferland makes an admirable effort and almost succeeds in making Jeliza-Rose likable or interesting. However, she doesn't feel real to me. I just rewatched The Florida Project yesterday, and that's a movie that understands its children. There are ****ty people in the movie, but they feel like they could exist in real life. As a fantasy, Tideland isn't supposed to feel "normal" by any means, but it's wayyy too far off the deep end.

The scenes and moments blended together so much that I forget really what "happened". Did anything happen? The "monster shark" died for one. Congrats. Jeliza-Rose finally finds a legitimately responsible adult by the end, but every. damn. character. makes me want to scream.

I get that this is about the innocence of children in the face of real trauma. I get that it's about maturity and adulthood. I get that it's about the cycle of parent-child. I get that it's about the creativity, and sometimes darkness, of the child mind. But I don't get why this movie has to be presented in such an off-putting way. I've rarely every said "**** this" about a movie, but - **** this.

+

Tideland (2005)

Tideland probably technically isn't one of the worst movies I've seen, but it's probably one of my least favorite viewing experiences. There is not a second of this film, from the very first obnoxious narration to the last, bizarre, scenes, that I didn't hate. Every character was not only unlikable, but worse - unrealistic.

This is my second Terry Gilliam film, after Monty Python and the Holy Grail - one of my favorite comedies. As is expected, Tideland is nothing like that film, in either tone or thematic material. Instead, it reduces itself to revolting people doing revolting things. The story is not much more than a little girl running around, having increasingly darker and darker fantasies, while her father - dead from an overdose - rots in their "house". Not my idea of a great time.

To her credit, Jodelle Ferland makes an admirable effort and almost succeeds in making Jeliza-Rose likable or interesting. However, she doesn't feel real to me. I just rewatched The Florida Project yesterday, and that's a movie that understands its children. There are ****ty people in the movie, but they feel like they could exist in real life. As a fantasy, Tideland isn't supposed to feel "normal" by any means, but it's wayyy too far off the deep end.

The scenes and moments blended together so much that I forget really what "happened". Did anything happen? The "monster shark" died for one. Congrats. Jeliza-Rose finally finds a legitimately responsible adult by the end, but every. damn. character. makes me want to scream.

I get that this is about the innocence of children in the face of real trauma. I get that it's about maturity and adulthood. I get that it's about the cycle of parent-child. I get that it's about the creativity, and sometimes darkness, of the child mind. But I don't get why this movie has to be presented in such an off-putting way. I've rarely every said "**** this" about a movie, but - **** this.

+
Hey, I feel about the same as you after the first viewing and I thought I would wait a few days and give it a second one. Nope, 30 minutes into the film, I didn't feel any different.