A Song For July

Tools    

Let the night air cool you off
1. Slackeye Slim - Vengeance Gonna Be My Name
- This track comes from a concept album, so if you are the type of person who would be into this, you might enjoy it more in context of the album. This style of alt-country certainly isn't for everybody, but if you like your westerns revisionist, this is the music equivalent of that type of thing.

2. Die Krupps - Nazis Auf Speed
- Well this is crazy

3. Modern English - I Melt With You
- Exactly what I want from 80s music.

4. Fanny - Blind Alley
- Yo, that drummer was getting after it. Also shout out to the lead singer/keyboardist. If she performed this well in a live setting doing both, that's impressive.

5. Neil Young - My my, hey hey (Out of the blue)
- Never been in love with Neil Young, but I think he is pretty solid.

6. John Carpenter - Skeleton
- John Carpenter has made some fantastic music in his career, the Halloween theme being some of the greatest music ever made for a film. So I was looking forward to checking this one out. It doesn't live up to the greatness Carpenter's capable of, but it's not bad. It reminded me of a little more boring, less tropical Todd Terje. It's pretty solid, but failed to meet my too high expectations.

7. Juice Leskinen Slam - Myrkytyksen oireet
- I expected some weird Scandinavian metal or something, but this is a pleasant surprise.

8. Billy Joel - Prelude / Angry Young Man
- I am not really a Billy Joel fan, but I'll give him credit for an impressive performance in this video.

9. Stevie Wonder - Never Dreamed You'd Leave In Summer
- He has a good voice, but this song is kinda boring.

10. Pauline - Dancin'
- Seems fine.

11. Elysian Fields - Hit By a Wandering Moon
- Feels like something is missing here. I don't care for the when the dude sings either.

12. Deborah Harry - I Want That Man
- I like Blondie, but I wasn't feeling this track too much. I liked the little breakdown.

13. Kid Rock - All Summer Long
- Who is Paul?

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
1) Billy Joel - Prelude / Angry Young Man
2) Kid Rock - All Summer Long
3) Stevie Wonder - Never Dreamed You'd Leave In Summer
4) Juice Leskinen Slam - Myrkytyksen oireet (The link had the message "Video unavailable. The uploader has not made this video available in your country.", so I used this link instead.)
5) John Carpenter - Skeleton
6) Elysian Fields - Hit By a Wandering Moon
7) Neil Young - My my, hey hey (Out of the blue)
8) Pauline - Dancin'
9) Modern English - I Melt With You
10) Deborah Harry - I Want That Man
11) Fanny - Blind Alley
12) Slackeye Slim - Vengeance Gonna Be My Name
13) Die Krupps - Nazis Auf Speed

I'll be back later with my nom for the next round.

7. Juice Leskinen Slam - Myrkytyksen oireet
- I expected some weird Scandinavian metal or something, but this is a pleasant surprise.
That's from the time before Finland become the metal nation we're known as

Good round overall. I liked pretty much everything, so it felt a little sad to have to rank them.

1. Elysian Fields - Hit By a Wandering Moon
I love this band. I probably picked the wrong song for the tournament so now everyone except HashtagBrownies thinks they're crap but they're seriously good, and I think this is an amazing song.

2. John Carpenter - Skeleton
**** yes John Carpenter. I love his **** and most of the stuff he's inpired.

3. Die Krupps - Nazis Auf Speed
****ing fun.

4. Fanny - Blind Alley
New to me and it's quote cool. Then again I like 70s stuff. Rocking voice!!

5. Juice Leskinen Slam - Myrkytyksen oireet
Another new one to me. I like it!

6. Stevie Wonder - Never Dreamed You'd Leave In Summer
He has such a great voice.

7. Neil Young - My my, hey hey (Out of the blue)
I like Neil Young quite a lot, but that's not a favourite song of mine from him.

8. Modern English - I Melt With You
An old classic.

9. Pauline - Dancin'
Never heard this before. Pretty cool dance track.

10. Kid Rock - All Summer Long

11. Slackeye Slim - Vengeance Gonna Be My Name
A little bit too jangly. I'd have liked it a lot more if there was a little more frequency range. I liked the idea though.

12. Deborah Harry - I Want That Man

13. Billy Joel - Prelude / Angry Young Man

I'm afraid I will have to withdraw from this round of voting. Life intervened. I'll be back for round 7.
No worries and thanks for letting us know - hope it's nothing serious and look forward to seeing you back for R7

Results will be up in around an hour and a half folks....

Time for the result of R5:

1st - Modern English - I Melt With You (109 pts)

2nd - Fanny - Blind Alley (98 pts)
3rd - John Carpenter - Skeleton (96 pts)
3rd - Juice Leskinen Slam - Myrkytyksen oireet (96 pts)
5th - Die Krupps - Nazis Auf Speed (93 pts)
6th - Elysian Fields - Hit By a Wandering Moon (87 pts)
7th - Stevie Wonder - Never Dreamed You'd Leave In Summer (86 pts)
8th - Slackeye Slim - Vengeance Gonna Be My Name (78 pts)
9th - Deborah Harry - I Want That Man (75 pts)
10th - Billy Joel - Prelude / Angry Young Man (73 pts)
11th - Neil Young - My my, hey hey (Out of the blue) (72 pts)
12th - Pauline - Dancin' (65 pts)
13th - Kid Rock - All Summer Long (64 pts)

Grats to Sedai on getting one through to the Final

Round six up shortly....

r7 nom :
T2 - No More White Horses

r6:

Swirlies - Two Girls Kissing
Foster The People - Pumped Up Kicks
Scorpions - Still Loving You
Lefty Frizzell - Saginaw Michigan
Ocean Colour Scene - The Riverboat Song
Ennio Morricone - Un Altro Mare (featuring Edda Dell'Orso)
HVØSCH - Our Sole Refuge
Karl Blau - That's How I Got to Memphis
INXS - The One Thing
Christopher Lee - Massacre of the Saxons
Midland - Cheatin' Songs
Powerwolf - Army of the Night

Round 6

I'm not sure why I'm doing this as I'm not in the best mood today, but I fear I might not get the chance to do it tomorrow, so today it is.

Ocean Colour Scene - The Riverboat Song - Not quite a rediscovered song, but one I keep forgetting about nominating since I started doing these things. I think that'll be my theme for this month.

Swirlies - Two Girls Kissing - I really liked this.

Powerwolf - Army of the Night - I'm liking this too. This has been a good start for this round. There have been rounds where I've been wishing for the end by this point.

Foster The People - Pumped Up Kicks - This was quite nice.

Ennio Morricone - Un Altro Mare (featuring Edda Dell'Orso) - It's nice but it's too long. I feel like I want to speed up the opening titles and get to the film.

Christopher Lee - Massacre of the Saxons - I remember reading about this when it was released. I didn't really know what to think then and, having heard some of it, I'm still not quite sure.

HVØSCH - Our Sole Refuge - 7 minutes to begin with? Actually it wasn't too bad for the first 5. I know almost none of these songs so don't know where this one will finish.

Midland - Cheatin' Songs - Oh dear. Still, it's short and that'll save it from last place already.

INXS - The One Thing - I don't remember this INXS song. I think I know why.

Scorpions - Still Loving You - The first misfire, but I was sure I wouldn't care for it when I saw the list, so that it's the first I've not cared for is quite good. Not bad, just meh like most of their stuff I've heard.

Lefty Frizzell - Saginaw Michigan - I wasn't happy when I saw he was called Lefty. Better than the last one though.

Karl Blau - That's How I Got to Memphis - It's also how you ended up towards the bottom of my list.

Round 6

1. Lefty Frizzell - Saginaw Michigan
(Bona fide. I feel bad that I consistently rank gbg's noms near the bottom, so I'm happy to finally get a chance to put one of her songs at the top. Fun fact: I used to have a dog named Lefty.)

2. Midland - Cheatin' Songs
(I'm very curious to see what @jiraffejustin has to say about this band. It won't surprise me if he says they are to country music what Hangman Page is to cowboys, but to me that isn't necessarily an insult. I've been listening to this album a lot lately and I really enjoy it, even though their sound harkens back to an era of country I don't typically love. Maybe my eardrums are just tickled by the Eagles-style harmonies and the echoes of Dwight Yoakam that I can hear in some of their songs. I know people question the band's authenticity and say that their image is too manufactured, but I don't care. To me they're a rare example of good commercial country in the modern age.)

3. Ocean Colour Scene - The Riverboat Song
(At the start I was negatively reminded of Oasis and similar British rock bands that don't appeal to me, but by the end I was grooving and really enjoying myself. Don't think I've ever heard of this group, but judging from this one song, they seem to have chosen the right influences.)

4. Powerwolf - Army of the Night
(The problem with a lot of power metal is that it's so cheesy and over the top that it's impossible to take seriously, which is a shame since there's a lot of great instrumentation that gets overlooked as a result. I should listen to this again without the video because I was laughing too much. Will probably still rank high due to the enormous fun factor.)

5. The Scorpions - Still Loving You
(My Scorpions - Greatest Hits CD used to get a lot of play. Not so much nowadays, but I still enjoy their music. This song is perfect for theatrical air guitar and hairbrush-as-microphone bathroom mirror performances.)

6. Christopher Lee - Massacre of the Saxons
(So I think Christopher Lee just became my favorite human of all-time?! Holy sh*t! When I saw that Hashtag had nominated this, I just assumed it was some tongue-in-cheek band name dedicated to the legendary actor. Never in my wildest imagination did I expect it to be the real Christopher Lee belting metal at the age of 90. My mind is shattered right now.)

7. Ennio Morricone - Un Altro Mare (featuring Edda Dell'Orso)
(R.I.P. to the greatest film composer of all-time.)

8. HVØSCH - Our Sole Refuge
(I assumed this was an instrumental and I was really digging it for the first three minutes. Turns out that long intro is just lulling you into a false sense of security as the vocals arrive like a sledgehammer. It felt like I was being bombarded by an apocalyptic firestorm for the remaining duration.)

9. Karl Blau - That's How I Got to Memphis
(Never heard of this dude, but I'm intrigued enough by his voice to seek out more. I'd like to hear something more soulful than wistful, as his voice clearly has a lot of character, and this overly repetitive song likely doesn't provide the best showcase. Those backing vocals are a bit obtrusive. Otherwise a pleasant listen.)

10. Foster the People - Pumped Up Kicks
(Damn, this song is 10-years-old already? That's almost as hard to believe as a song about school shootings becoming a monster commercial hit. The contrast between the dark subject matter and the airy pop sound is what always intrigued me about this song.)

11. INXS - The One Thing
(Outside of a handful of songs, INXS has never done much for me.)

12. Swirlies - Two Girls Kissing
(It's okay, but unfortunately it's 6-minutes long instead of three, so "okay" starts to morph into something less than okay . . . okay?)

Good round. Even my least favorite songs were decent.