The Fantasy Hall of Fame

Tools    

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Just a quick note about why I decided not to join:

To be honest, before I started looking through IMDB's lists of fantasy movies, I expected all of the nominations to be basically sword and sorcery, witches and wizards, dragons, etc. But as I looked through IMDB's fantasy lists, I realized that there's a lot more to fantasy than that. I had a list of potential noms that included movies like Miracle in the Rain (1956), Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (1971), The Enchanted Cottage (1945), Somewhere in Time (1980), The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (1947), The Time Traveler's Wife (2009), and One Touch of Venus (1948).

I was hoping when the nominations were revealed, there would be a nice mix of different types of fantasy movies, not just all sword and sorcery type of stuff, but it looks like most people had the same idea of what a fantasy movie is, so the noms seem to be a bunch of similar style of movies.

Just a quick note about why I decided not to join:

To be honest, before I started looking through IMDB's lists of fantasy movies, I expected all of the nominations to be basically sword and sorcery, witches and wizards, dragons, etc. But as I looked through IMDB's fantasy lists, I realized that there's a lot more to fantasy than that. I had a list of potential noms that included movies like Miracle in the Rain (1956), Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (1971), The Enchanted Cottage (1945), Somewhere in Time (1980), The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (1947), The Time Traveler's Wife (2009), and One Touch of Venus (1948).

I was hoping when the nominations were revealed, there would be a nice mix of different types of fantasy movies, not just all sword and sorcery type of stuff, but it looks like most people had the same idea of what a fantasy movie is, so the noms seem to be a bunch of similar style of movies.
You should join, then you could nominate something different...I think we have a great selection including: a French fairy tale musical, a charming Miyazaki anime, a Terry Gilliam darker psychological film, a classic period Japanese folk tale, and yes some good ole sword and sorcery flicks! You could help add to the mix with one of your unique choices (some of which I had also considered).

Yeah I was a little surprised that nobody took Wonka, Wizard of Oz, or any of the Harry Potter films (Goblet of Fire would have been very interesting to see the reaction) but it's a good group.

Kiki's Delivery Service (Miyazaki, 1989)

My third Miyazaki and I liked it! I found the style of story telling refreshingly un-adversarial when compared to a typical Disney animation story. I appreciated that the film focuses more on the personal tale of a 13 year old girl as she tries to make her way in a new city, as a young witch. Had this been a Disney film her journey would've been fraught with dangerous perils as she overcame huge obstacles, fighting for her life, to finally triumph in the end. But what I loved about this was that Kiki's obstacles were of a smaller nature and the type she might have actually encountered in her delivery business.

I liked the way the story handles the cat being left with a dullard boy and a big dog, in lieu of the stuff cat toy which was lost in the woods. I really expected to see the poor cat tormented mercilessly by the boy and the big dog, an American film would've done just that..and that would've made me cringe. But here that scene reinforces the gentle, nurturing message of the film...The boy might be a brat but he doesn't hurt the cat and the old dog is so sweet that once he discovers the cat toy is real, he curls up next to it and protects it. Loved that scene and I loved how the people Kiki meets cares enough to help her.

I watched this in English dub and I'm glad I did. I knew the cat's voice was very familiar and I had thought it sounded like Phil Hartman but I was surprised to see during the end credits, that I was right. Though I had no clue that Kiki was voiced by Kirsten Dunst and one of the old ladies was by Debbie Reynolds.

A very cool nom, thank you ahwell for choosing this one.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	1726476578.jpeg
Views:	556
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	65761  

Kiki's Delivery Service (1989)

Look, you've probably gotten tired of hearing my talk about my aspirations to be a composer (and my dream to be a film score composer). I've brought up my passion for music, my absolute awe of people who just can create, and how I hope to move forward in my life.

Well, here's the part where I tell you I haven't written a half-decent piece of music in months. Maybe I never have written a half-decent piece of music, and I'm only just realizing that now. Then again, that's a pessimist attitude, and I'm only ever going to get better if I tell myself I can actually do it. But the fact is, I've been scaring myself lately with how little motivation, how little inspiration I'm finding. Maybe it's the quarantine? Maybe it's all the other crazy **** going on in the world? Maybe it's that I feel alone and isolated, even when I know there's nothing I can do about it?

Maybe they're all whiny excuses and I'm just getting lazy. But either way, I found myself dreading composing, dreading sitting down and thinking of original ideas. Because the next day, I'd play through those "original ideas" and realize they're either ****, or they've been used and I unconsciously was stealing music from other composers.

God Damnit. What the hell is my passion if it's not music? If I can't do this for fun, can I do it for a living? I was - I am - SO frustrated. I guess this is just a petty hobby, isn't it? Months and months of getting nothing accomplished, hell, if I'm going to apply for a School of Music at the college I want to go to, the requirement is links to three compositions you've written, God knows that ain't close to being done.

So, what do I need right now? Whiplash? Ha. Amadeus? Lol. La La Land? I mean, that actually may have been a good option, but what I went with was a movie I'd only seen once before, yet already felt such an intense connection to - Kiki's Delivery Service.

There are some people that watch movies for pure entertainment - that is entirely awesome, and sometimes I wish I could just sit back and let a movie be... a movie. But then again, watching Kiki's Delivery Service, I'm so glad that I can sometimes let a movie take control of me. I'm so glad I find myself influenced and inspired by the host of amazing movies I watch. When Kiki comes and stays at Ursula's cabin for a couple days, I am at the cabin. When Ursula is telling Kiki how she deals with artist's block, she is talking to me. It's all in my head, but when a movie feels like it can be made for me, and just me (as selfish as that sounds), I know it's a part of me.

I watched Kiki's Delivery Service last night. This morning, I got up, and not only felt better, but felt motivated. I put away my laptop (where I usually write compositions), and pulled out an old fashioned staff of music. I sat down at the piano, and just let all the feelings and emotions and message of Kiki's Delivery Service wash over me. I was flying. I played a melody. It was fine. I played it again, it was better. I was tweaking it, I was developing it, I was writing it down and erasing and changing and creating. It felt so, so, so good to have a purpose like that. The piece I started writing is far from perfect, at this point far from good. But it has got something that none of my attempts had from the past couple months - a personal meaning.

Of course, like Kiki's, my life will fluctuate and change, go down and up. We are never the same every day, and maybe tomorrow this time I'll be moody and depressed again. But at least I can go to bed tonight telling myself I've done something with my life, however little. Perhaps Kiki felt the same the day after she saved Tombo.

I guess what I'm trying to say, Kiki's Delivery Service reminds me not only of how much I need movies in my life, but of why I love what I love, why I do what I do. There are few movies out there that have more power to me. And to say that I was inspired enough from a movie to create something of my own is about the highest praise I can give it.

+

Tideland (2005)

One of Terry Gilliam's more controversial movies dives into a deep end of the dysfunctional childhood's murky pool. Jeliza-Rose is a nine-year-old daughter of two junkies who ends up living on her own at her grandma's (who died before she was born) abandoned house. Things don't necessarily turn for the better when she meets the disturbingly odd neighbors.

You're a real stinker.

Tideland is primarily about a child with a vivid imagination trying to make sense of the world on her own. With her father's obsession with the Norse legends and his drug-driven escapes into the dream world, she was never firmly rooted in reality. Her Jutland is the Wonderland where Alice fell through a rabbit hole, and her guiding spirits (and only friends) are the four doll-heads. No wonder her world seems a little off.

As someone who's always been more interested in imaginary worlds than this grey reality, I find it easy to both understand and sympathize with Jeliza-Rose. Her imagination filters the story that's shown to the viewer, making it an untrustworthy depiction of events. Can we trust that she's telling us the truth? Or maybe it's her truth, but does it match the more commonly accepted reality? And most importantly, does it matter? It's her story, so it's her truth (or fantasy) that counts.

I think Gilliam succeeds in showing things through a child's (a sort of special child's that is) perspective. Regardless of the disturbing events, there's always an atmosphere of innocence. Even death and the curiosity towards sex is rooted in the childish perceptions of the adult world (it helps that Dickens is also practically a child in a more mature body - one could even argue that Jeliza-Rose is just using the sex as a weapon). All this is made possible by the brilliant performances by Jodelle Ferland and Brendan Fletcher.

In addition to the obvious Alice in Wonderland references, I saw two major influences in this film; The Reflecting Skin and Poison for the Fairies (both of which I happen to love, so it's no wonder I enjoyed this one as well). It's visually gorgeous (like Gilliam's films usually are), and the combination of childish innocence, disturbing events, escapism, and adaptation creates quite a unique blend. One of the better Gilliam films, in my opinion, but sadly the public has largely forgotten it.

The Dark Crystal (1982)
Directed By: Jim Henson, Frank Oz
Starring: Stephen Garlick, Lisa Maxwell, Percy Edwards

The plot of The Dark Crystal is kept simple enough for children to understand, but since it does not talk down to its target audience or shy away from grim visuals and an occasionally bleak tone, it's still suitable for older viewers as well. Henson reportedly believed that it was healthy for children to experience some fear, and I can attest that this film terrified me when I was younger. I had seen part of it at home, and actually dreaded the fact that we later had to watch it in school. However seeing the film in its entirely wasn't a frightening experience after all, and I was instead impressed by its elegance and beauty.

The production design of The Dark Crystal is simply outstanding. It is a highly imaginative film with fantastic visuals. The mix of real locations, matte paintings, and a frankly ridiculous amount of props and puppets create a magical, alien world that is a treat to witness. Revisiting the film as an adult left a different kind of impact on me, because the sheer amount of work that went into bringing Thra and its denizens to life is nearly unfathomable. The elaborate nature of these creatures meant that many of the costumes were incredibly heavy and difficult for the performers to manoeuvre properly, making this film a genuine labour of love by those involved.

Thanks to state of the art animatronics, the practical effects still hold up now, 38 years after its original release. Unfortunately the computer generated effects used during the story's climax are very dated, though in a way they kind of add their own kind of charm as well. If there was just one thing I could change, it would be the texture of Jen's face. Even as a child I've maintained that his skin looks too unnatural and obviously fake. While it has has some other flaws, particularly when it comes to its pacing, everything about this film generates a feeling of nostalgia for me, so rewatching it again was a pleasant experience.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	crystal.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	230.3 KB
ID:	65767  

It's only been a little over a day since the reveal, and we already have 4 reviews up. Nice work!
I watched one...just haven't written a review but I have mixed feelings and want to rewatch.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Toucan Sam is in the movie Excalibur?
LOL
yeah, he is. ANNND Merlin's owl has a serious Tootsie Pop sucker addiction. He just can't go past three licks before biting

The Dark Crystal (1982)
Directed By: Jim Henson, Frank Oz
Starring: Stephen Garlick, Lisa Maxwell, Percy Edwards

The plot of The Dark Crystal is kept simple enough for children to understand, but since it does not talk down to its target audience or shy away from grim visuals and an occasionally bleak tone, it's still suitable for older viewers as well. Henson reportedly believed that it was healthy for children to experience some fear, and I can attest that this film terrified me when I was younger. I had seen part of it at home, and actually dreaded the fact that we later had to watch it in school. However seeing the film in its entirely wasn't a frightening experience after all, and I was instead impressed by its elegance and beauty.

The production design of The Dark Crystal is simply outstanding. It is a highly imaginative film with fantastic visuals. The mix of real locations, matte paintings, and a frankly ridiculous amount of props and puppets create a magical, alien world that is a treat to witness. Revisiting the film as an adult left a different kind of impact on me, because the sheer amount of work that went into bringing Thra and its denizens to life is nearly unfathomable. The elaborate nature of these creatures meant that many of the costumes were incredibly heavy and difficult for the performers to manoeuvre properly, making this film a genuine labour of love by those involved.

Thanks to state of the art animatronics, the practical effects still hold up now, 38 years after its original release. Unfortunately the computer generated effects used during the story's climax are very dated, though in a way they kind of add their own kind of charm as well. If there was just one thing I could change, it would be the texture of Jen's face. Even as a child I've maintained that his skin looks too unnatural and obviously fake. While it has has some other flaws, particularly when it comes to its pacing, everything about this film generates a feeling of nostalgia for me, so rewatching it again was a pleasant experience.

I felt the same when rewatching this a short while back. A lot of the things I appreciate now I sort of shrugged my shoulders to as a teenager when I saw this at the theater. Looking forward to seeing this again.

Kiki's Delivery Service (1989)

Look, you've probably gotten tired of hearing my talk about my aspirations to be a composer (and my dream to be a film score composer). I've brought up my passion for music, my absolute awe of people who just can create, and how I hope to move forward in my life.

Well, here's the part where I tell you I haven't written a half-decent piece of music in months. Maybe I never have written a half-decent piece of music, and I'm only just realizing that now. Then again, that's a pessimist attitude, and I'm only ever going to get better if I tell myself I can actually do it. But the fact is, I've been scaring myself lately with how little motivation, how little inspiration I'm finding. Maybe it's the quarantine? Maybe it's all the other crazy **** going on in the world? Maybe it's that I feel alone and isolated, even when I know there's nothing I can do about it?

Maybe they're all whiny excuses and I'm just getting lazy. But either way, I found myself dreading composing, dreading sitting down and thinking of original ideas. Because the next day, I'd play through those "original ideas" and realize they're either ****, or they've been used and I unconsciously was stealing music from other composers.

God Damnit. What the hell is my passion if it's not music? If I can't do this for fun, can I do it for a living? I was - I am - SO frustrated. I guess this is just a petty hobby, isn't it? Months and months of getting nothing accomplished, hell, if I'm going to apply for a School of Music at the college I want to go to, the requirement is links to three compositions you've written, God knows that ain't close to being done.

So, what do I need right now? Whiplash? Ha. Amadeus? Lol. La La Land? I mean, that actually may have been a good option, but what I went with was a movie I'd only seen once before, yet already felt such an intense connection to - Kiki's Delivery Service.

There are some people that watch movies for pure entertainment - that is entirely awesome, and sometimes I wish I could just sit back and let a movie be... a movie. But then again, watching Kiki's Delivery Service, I'm so glad that I can sometimes let a movie take control of me. I'm so glad I find myself influenced and inspired by the host of amazing movies I watch. When Kiki comes and stays at Ursula's cabin for a couple days, I am at the cabin. When Ursula is telling Kiki how she deals with artist's block, she is talking to me. It's all in my head, but when a movie feels like it can be made for me, and just me (as selfish as that sounds), I know it's a part of me.

I watched Kiki's Delivery Service last night. This morning, I got up, and not only felt better, but felt motivated. I put away my laptop (where I usually write compositions), and pulled out an old fashioned staff of music. I sat down at the piano, and just let all the feelings and emotions and message of Kiki's Delivery Service wash over me. I was flying. I played a melody. It was fine. I played it again, it was better. I was tweaking it, I was developing it, I was writing it down and erasing and changing and creating. It felt so, so, so good to have a purpose like that. The piece I started writing is far from perfect, at this point far from good. But it has got something that none of my attempts had from the past couple months - a personal meaning.

Of course, like Kiki's, my life will fluctuate and change, go down and up. We are never the same every day, and maybe tomorrow this time I'll be moody and depressed again. But at least I can go to bed tonight telling myself I've done something with my life, however little. Perhaps Kiki felt the same the day after she saved Tombo.

I guess what I'm trying to say, Kiki's Delivery Service reminds me not only of how much I need movies in my life, but of why I love what I love, why I do what I do. There are few movies out there that have more power to me. And to say that I was inspired enough from a movie to create something of my own is about the highest praise I can give it.
I have, on quite a number of instances found inspiration through a film experience. I do this constantly regarding artwork when watching anime. It's a beautiful, beautiful situation. VERY happy to hear you had such instance, ahwell.

@CosmicRunaway

I took my friend's daughters to see it in the theatre around 3 years ago. Their father thought it would be a good experience for the girls. Eva was about 11 yrs old and Dulcie was 9. They thought The Dark Crystal was scary. My own daughter watched it since she was 3 yrs old and at that time she was 24 yrs old. I told what Eva and Dulcie said, she was like "Mom it was scary but you made me watch it with you "

So I got all my streaming/dvd ready. Kwaidan and Donkey Skin will probably be my last views. I am going to subscribe to Criterion Channel for $10,99 a month.

I bought DVDs for Kiki's and Excalibur used dvd.

I found a lot on here for streaming or cheaper than the DVDs.

This site will tell you where you can stream or rent to stream.

https://www.justwatch.com/

Tideland (2005)
Her imagination filters the story that's shown to the viewer, making it an untrustworthy depiction of events. Can we trust that she's telling us the truth? Or maybe it's her truth, but does it match the more commonly accepted reality? And most importantly, does it matter? It's her story, so it's her truth (or fantasy) that counts.
I decided to read the reviews before I see the movies, as sometimes insight into a film helps me to appreciate the it more when I watch it...And what you said about Tideland showing the girls truth, as opposed to just showing what happens, helps me to be prepared for when I get confused Though I've seen a couple of Terry Gilliam's films and I should already be expecting the unexpected!

As someone who's always been more interested in imaginary worlds than this grey reality, I find it easy to both understand and sympathize with Jeliza-Rose.
Glad you wrote that as it helps me to better understand your relationship with movies. Slowly I'm learning what everyone likes and more importantly why....

BTW have you seen Beasts of the Southern Wild (2012), I almost nominated that and I think you'd like it.

And what you said about Tideland showing the girls truth, as opposed to just showing what happens, helps me to be prepared for when I get confused
That's my interpretation, at least.

BTW have you seen Beasts of the Southern Wild (2012), I almost nominated that and I think you'd like it.
Never even heard of it, but after checking IMDb it looks potentially interesting.

That's my interpretation, at least.

Never even heard of it, but after checking IMDb it looks potentially interesting.
Beast of the Southern Wild certainly has a dark vibe to it, despite the movie poster which might make it look more lighter in content.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
You should join, then you could nominate something different...I think we have a great selection including: a French fairy tale musical, a charming Miyazaki anime, a Terry Gilliam darker psychological film, a classic period Japanese folk tale, and yes some good ole sword and sorcery flicks! You could help add to the mix with one of your unique choices (some of which I had also considered).

I'll think about it for a day or two, but I was hoping for more variety in the noms.