The Fantasy Hall of Fame

Tools    

Hopefully none of the sequels will be nominated in this HoF, or I'll have a bunch of extra movies to watch.
None of the Harry Potter films have been nominated. There is however a sequel in the HoF that will likely require another film be watched for those who haven't previously seen it. I mentioned this to the person who nominated the film in case they wanted to choose something else, but they didn't think it would be an issue. We'll have to wait for the reveal to see if this is going to be a problem for anyone.

I'm going to be late for work if I don't leave soon, so you guys will find out the specifics this afternoon.

I have only seen the first 2 Harry Potter films, but I gather that they're similar to LotR and the Hobbit, in that there is a continuous narrative running through all the entries. Unless you've read the source material, I doubt any of those films (outside the first ones in each series) will work on their own.

Not really, the first four films are pretty good stand alones...one year at Hogwarts type deal with the last four being one big epic that covers the final three years. But LOTR and Hobbit you really need to watch the whole thing...Harry Potter not so much

@ahwell @Citizen Rules @edarsenal @HollowMan
@MovieGal @pahaK @rauldc14 @Siddon @Wyldesyde19

From urban fairytales to epic adventures, the fantasy genre is home to
countless imaginative realms that exist in every possible time period.

The real magic is the ability of these films to transport us into
a different version of reality that can be charming, deadly, or
a creative mixture of both.

As our journey through this Hall of Fame begins, these are
the quests our daring heroes have chosen to tackle:

Kwaidan / 怪談 (1964)
Directed By: Masaki Kobayashi
Nominated By: Siddon

~*~

Donkey Skin / Peau d'Âne (1970)
Directed By: Jacques Demy
Nominated By: MovieGal

~*~

Excalibur (1981)
Directed By: John Boorman
Nominated By: Citizen Rules

~*~

Dragonslayer (1981)
Directed By: Matthew Robbins
Nominated By: Wyldesyde19

~*~

The Dark Crystal (1982)
Directed By: Jim Henson, Frank Oz
Nominated By: CosmicRunaway

~*~
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	poster-kwaidan-1.jpg
Views:	565
Size:	301.1 KB
ID:	65721   Click image for larger version

Name:	poster-donkeyskin.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	248.5 KB
ID:	65722   Click image for larger version

Name:	poster-excalibur.jpg
Views:	562
Size:	266.1 KB
ID:	65723   Click image for larger version

Name:	poster-dragonslayer.jpg
Views:	562
Size:	262.4 KB
ID:	65724   Click image for larger version

Name:	poster-darkcrystal.jpg
Views:	560
Size:	292.4 KB
ID:	65725  

Kiki's Delivery Service / 魔女の宅急便 (1989)
Directed By: Hayao Miyazaki
Nominated By: ahwell

~*~

DragonHeart (1996)
Directed By: Rob Cohen
Nominated By: edarsenal

~*~

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (2001)
Directed By: Peter Jackson
Nominated By: rauldc14

~*~

The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2003)
Directed By: Peter Jackson
Nominated By: HollowMan

~*~

Tideland (2005)
Directed By: Terry Gilliam
Nominated By: pahaK

~*~

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	poster-kiki.jpg
Views:	646
Size:	205.4 KB
ID:	65726   Click image for larger version

Name:	poster-dragonheart.jpg
Views:	666
Size:	172.9 KB
ID:	65727   Click image for larger version

Name:	poster-lotrfellowship.jpg
Views:	565
Size:	282.1 KB
ID:	65728   Click image for larger version

Name:	poster-lotrreturn.jpg
Views:	649
Size:	229.2 KB
ID:	65729   Click image for larger version

Name:	poster-tideland.jpg
Views:	649
Size:	224.0 KB
ID:	65730  

Here are my first impressions on the nominations:

Kwaidan - I watched this in preparation for the Japanese Hall of Fame. Prior to that time, I had only seen the first story. I didn't ultimately nominate it, but I did enjoy it. The last segment is my favourite.

Donkey Skin - I saw part of this film in school, but didn't watch the rest on my own time. I'm not a huge fan of musicals, but I'll keep an open mind.

Excalibur - It's been awhile since I've seen this. I remember really liking it, so I'm excited to watch it again.

Dragonslayer - This is the only film I've previously seen that I don't really recall that much about. It'll probably feel more like a new watch haha.

The Dark Crystal - My nomination. They don't really make kid's films like this anymore. I rewatched this yesterday so I'll likely have my review up later today.

Kiki's Delivery Service - This is the film I haven't seen that my room mates own. I'm not generally a fan of Miyazaki, but I do appreciate his work. I've been meaning to watch this for awhile, and I think I have a higher chance of liking this more than many of his other films.

DragonHeart - I watched this movie every single time it was on tv. Haven't seen it in ages however, so I'm definitely down to watch it again.

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring - I think everyone knew this was going to get nominated haha. I love the LotR films so I have no problem watching them again.

The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
- Hopefully everyone has already seen The Two Towers. Even though it wasn't nominated, I'm going to watch it between Fellowship and Return, though I know it so well I probably don't need to.

Tideland - This is the other film that'll be a first watch for me. I like some of Gilliam's other work, so I expect to like this too.

I have seen all but Tideland. The Dark Crystal I am a huge fan of Henson and Brian Froud. I have many books, posters and collectibles as well.

Brian Froud is the conceptual artist of the film. He and his wife Wendy had worked with Henson on many projects. Wendy help create Yoda for Star Wars, not Yoda our fearless forum leader.

Let's see what we have here.

Kwaidan: With the age range CR2 gave us for the nominations, I kinda had a hunch that this would be the oldest of our films. It's been quite a while since I saw this, but I'd remember that overall I liked it. I'm pretty sure one of the stories wasn't too good, though.

Donkey Skin: Never even heard of this. Unfortunately, a family musical doesn't sound too promising.

Excalibur: I rewatched this couple of years ago and liked it a lot. It certainly has some odd settings.

Dragonslayer: It's been a long time since I saw this, but I know I did like this. One of the best family fantasy films, I'd remember.

The Dark Crystal: I watched this two months ago and found it surprisingly good. I probably won't rewatch this as it's so recent viewing (will make final decision when I'll see if I can still write something about it).

Kiki's Delivery Service: Despite Netflix having all Miyazaki's now I still haven't got to actually watching them. I guess I'll start with this then.

DragonHeart: I saw this in theaters back when it was new and most likely I didn't like it. Who knows if that's changed (I kinda doubt).

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring & The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King: I honestly didn't expect people to nominate these as they really require you to watch the whole trilogy. It's been a while since I last watched these so I guess it's due time to rewatch the whole trilogy. The first two films are good but I don't personally like the last one that much.

Tideland: My nomination (who could have guessed). It's my kind of film and I really like what Gilliam did here. By the way, I thought that the two films by the same director would have been Gilliam's.

I'll try to have a review of my own up this week and see if I remember The Dark Crystal well enough to review too. Will start watching the other films in a week or so (will binge the full Dark series prior to that - already rewatched the first season).

By the way, I thought that the two films by the same director would have been Gilliam's.
Gilliam would've been a good guess. I considered some of his other films before I decided to go with The Dark Crystal.

I feel like such a fantasy noob I've only seen a couple of these and that was like last century! So this should be real fun as everything is going to be like a first watch for me.

Excalibur...my nomination.
I'm not a religious person but Excalibur is very close to my own ideas of spirituality. It's not the story at the forefront, but the underlying story that touches me so.
I doubt anyone will see it the way I do, but to me this is a very special movie. There's also a line of dialogue in the movie that I live by, it's like my personal credo.

When you watch this see if you can figure out just what the heck I'm talking about

Let's see what we have here.

Kwaidan: With the age range CR2 gave us for the nominations, I kinda had a hunch that this would be the oldest of our films. It's been quite a while since I saw this, but I'd remember that overall I liked it. I'm pretty sure one of the stories wasn't too good, though.

Donkey Skin: Never even heard of this. Unfortunately, a family musical doesn't sound too promising.

Excalibur: I rewatched this couple of years ago and liked it a lot. It certainly has some odd settings.

Dragonslayer: It's been a long time since I saw this, but I know I did like this. One of the best family fantasy films, I'd remember.

The Dark Crystal: I watched this two months ago and found it surprisingly good. I probably won't rewatch this as it's so recent viewing (will make final decision when I'll see if I can still write something about it).

Kiki's Delivery Service: Despite Netflix having all Miyazaki's now I still haven't got to actually watching them. I guess I'll start with this then.

DragonHeart: I saw this in theaters back when it was new and most likely I didn't like it. Who knows if that's changed (I kinda doubt).

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring & The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King: I honestly didn't expect people to nominate these as they really require you to watch the whole trilogy. It's been a while since I last watched these so I guess it's due time to rewatch the whole trilogy. The first two films are good but I don't personally like the last one that much.

Tideland: My nomination (who could have guessed). It's my kind of film and I really like what Gilliam did here. By the way, I thought that the two films by the same director would have been Gilliam's.

I'll try to have a review of my own up this week and see if I remember The Dark Crystal well enough to review too. Will start watching the other films in a week or so (will binge the full Dark series prior to that - already rewatched the first season).
Mine is fantasy in a true sense of the word.

Since others may join I won't be telling my other choices in the thread.

The trick is not minding
I feel like such a fantasy noob I've only seen a couple of these and that was like last century! So this should be real fun as everything is going to be like a first watch for me.

Excalibur...my nomination.
I'm not a religious person but Excalibur is very close to my own ideas of spirituality. It's not the story at the forefront, but the underlying story that touches me so.
I doubt anyone will see it the way I do, but to me this is a very special movie. There's also a line of dialogue in the movie that I live by, it's like my personal credo.

When you watch this see if you can figure out just what the heck I'm talking about
Arthur: Where hides evil, then, in my kingdom?
Merlin: Always... where you never expect it. Always.

There's also a line of dialogue in the movie that I live by, it's like my personal credo.

My guess would be this:

Merlin: "When a man lies, he murders some part of the world."

Or maybe you just keep saying "Anaal nathrak"

The trick is not minding
My guess would be this:

Merlin: "When a man lies, he murders some part of the world."

Or maybe you just keep saying "Anaal nathrak"
That was my first guess.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Quite the variety

Kwaidan: This has been on my radar for - ever, so pretty happy to finally check it out.

Donkey Skin: This is the same director who did The Umbrellas of Cherbourg and that won in the Foreign Language HoF so this should be very worthwhile.

Excalibur: Haven't seen this for decades. I do remember getting a kick out of Merlin in this. The line, "Follow your nose!" still sticks with me.

Dragonslayer: Another blast from the past. Wasnt' a big fan of it, but did like it.

The Dark Crystal: Great little film. Watched it when Netflix brought out the recent remake series but will be rewatching it for this.

Kiki's Delivery Service: One of Miyazaki's I have yet to see and will most likely be enjoying.

DragonHeart: My nomination. The moment I posted that Draco gif I kept hearing that inner voice telling me, "You know you're going with this one," and after doing a search for the possibility of something else, I answered, "yeah, I know."
Been a long time since I saw this so it should be a fun roll of the dice.

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring & The Lord of the Rings: Grew up on the books and enjoyed the trilogy. Not sure if I'll watch Two Towers, but I just might out of fun since its been a while since last viewing them. Loved the Fellowship out of the three.

Tideland: Its Terry Gilliam so its going to be WILD!! Haven't even heard of this so I'm pretty stoked about it.

I haven't seen any of these other than the Lord of the Rings and most of them I would probably never watch if left to my own devices so I'm looking forward to seeing something new and different

The Dark Crystal: Great little film. Watched it when Netflix brought out the recent remake series but will be rewatching it for this.
The series was a prequel, not a remake. Though maybe they did remake the events of the film eventually. I only saw the first episode. I meant to watch more but I kept putting it off. Did you just watch the film, or did you see the series as well?

Excalibur is a great film. I am a fan of Arthurian legend. Read many book series, watched many movies and even read a book about think @Citizen Rules would be interested in.

I even have Arthurian tarot cards.

Dragonheart is great as well. Fan of David Thewlis and Pete Postlewaite. Love dragons as every geek does and its the Great Sean Connery.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
The series was a prequel, not a remake. Though maybe they did remake the events of the film eventually. I only saw the first episode. I meant to watch more but I kept putting it off. Did you just watch the film, or did you see the series as well?
I had forgotten it was a prequel. Thank you.
Didn't watch the series, only watched the first episode, and didn't go further.
And yeah, we re-watched the film and I'll watch it again for this HoF.