Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

The Bourne Ultimatum (2007)

Entire trilogy

Wow, Bourne hits galactic levels of badass in this one (that Tangiers fight scene ). At some point toward the end I have to admit I had trouble suspending my disbelief ("c'mon this is impossible, this guy is not HUMAN!"), but hey who cares when the story is so damn entertaining.
Yup.

And I think that the series also deserves praise for how well the non-Bourne stuff works. Joan Allen's character and her whole arc is really interesting and has its own suspense. Normally in a film like this you get to those "control room" scenes and I get antsy to get back to the action stuff, but in these films it all weaves together really, really well. The plot work that overlaps between the second and third films is especially well done, IMO.

Yup.

And I think that the series also deserves praise for how well the non-Bourne stuff works. Joan Allen's character and her whole arc is really interesting and has its own suspense. Normally in a film like this you get to those "control room" scenes and I get antsy to get back to the action stuff, but in these films it all weaves together really, really well. The plot work that overlaps between the second and third films is especially well done, IMO.
WARNING: spoilers below
The way they incorporated the ending of Supremacy in Ultimatum but with an different angle and dimension to it was really clever.

Plus I just liked how dead serious and no-nonsense these films are - no unnecessary facetiousness or romanticism, just pure action.

Re-watch of a sweet indie movie.

Not bad. Not a rabid fan of Downton & easily could have lived without this. They should not make another Downton movie IMO. Put it to rest now.

I would say that it's on the weirder side of his stuff. Lynch is a really talented storyteller, and he's much more than just "I'm weird to be EDGY!!!".

If you want a non-weird Lynch, I would highly recommend The Elephant Man. It is marvelously acted and wonderfully directed, and it's actually my favorite film of his. There's no "What is real?!??!" stuff. I haven't yet seen The Straight Story, but it is also a, well, straight story.

Going up the ladder of ones I have seen, Blue Velvet is weird but has an easier to follow central story.

Lost Highway is weird and has some of the not-explained stuff. It's probably my least favorite of his films, but it's not a bad movie.

Eraserhead is WEIRD. But, you know what, it's very clear from an emotional point of view. There's a mutant baby and a small woman who lives in a radiator, and yet I never felt like I wasn't able to "follow" the film.

If you want something where the weirdness nicely intersects with comedy, I can solidly vouch for the first season of Twin Peaks. (Warning: the show will make you hungry for pie.)

I've always been intrigued by Twin Peaks and Blue Velvet so I might get around to watching them some day. So many films, so little time...

I've always been intrigued by Twin Peaks and Blue Velvet so I might get around to watching them some day. So many films, so little time...
The first season of Twin Peaks is a blast. It's on Hulu if that's a service you have.

You’re the disease, and I’m the cure.
Halloween (2018):
Good movie with well down effects, not the best cast but Jamie Lee Curtis and Andi Matichak help enhance the film.
7/10

FX Murder By Illusion (UK title, think it was just called FX in the US). Hugely nostalgic look back at one of my favourite 80s films growing up. Still holds up, as long as you don't mind the usual movie tropes such as, the direction of films within a film are always long and drawn out complex sequences that would never be done in one take. Bryan Brown (remember him?) plays a special effects genius who is hired to fake an assassination of a mafioso who's about to testify his way into witness protection but has a hit out on him. A criminal conspiracy follows. Good fun, recommended

Not too bad. If you've seen Ritchies early stuff this fits right in. I thought it started a little slow but continually picked up the pace as the story about a multi-million dollar marijuana operation and it's sale unfolded. Plenty of twists and turns similar to some of Guy's earlier films, however, not as funny as those films. Good looking, interesting storytelling and solid acting across the board with Colin Farrell being a bit of a scene stealer.

Bad Santa (2003)

Another comedy that I love more than most people I suppose, and I think the sequel was actually underappreciated as well (though likely unnecessary). The story actually carries some emotion, but the jokes are obviously the focus of the movie, and the cast all deliver splendidly. Watching some of the behind the scenes stuff mentions the Coen brothers actually did a script version of this movie as well?....

Di je Karlo?
Doctor Strange (2016) - 82/100

It still has some cringy jokes and dialogue that come with being a Marvel movie, but the plot moves along smoothly, Strange has a solid character arc, and the action scenes are fun and imaginative. They're not just generic punchups, there's manipulation of space and gravity, characters phasing through walls, flipping the scenery upside down, and so on. It's all very trippy, but possible to follow. Overall, it's my new favourite Marvel movie, hands down.

BLUE CHIPS
(1994)

First Viewing. Underrated sports comedy drama. Nolte carries the movie and delivers an explosively great, at times funny, and captivating performance. It's a shame he has never won an Oscar.

“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa