What is the best iPad?

Tools    

Wifey's iPad is about 5 years old and she's been saying she wants a new one. Her B'day is about a month away so it's time to pony up. I don't know anything about them. She wants as big a screen as available and whatever is the closest to a computer. Not interested in any other brands.

That's the iPad Pro, then, that's the big one.
I see a couple different kinds, one that says third generation and one that doesn't say that. Is one of them used or something?

I dunno, if it's Amazon it'll depend on the description, nobody makes the third-party sellers adhere to any standard naming convention so some have more detail than others.

4th generation is the most recent, IIRC.

I dunno, if it's Amazon it'll depend on the description, nobody makes the third-party sellers adhere to any standard naming convention so some have more detail than others.

4th generation is the most recent, IIRC.
Ok I see, so generation is how new the version. Thanks!

After further review

The 3rd generation came out in 2018. The improvements made with this newer model won't benefit her. 64gb is way more than she needs, and she doesn't need cellular, only WiFi.

So 3rd generation iPad Pro, 12.9" screen, 64GB with WiFi-$899.00 at Best Buy. Not as much as I thought I was going to have to spend.

You ready? You look ready.
Go with the latest version if you can manage it. Then she will get another 5 years out of it.

I suggest the current 11” iPad Pro (2nd gen). 128gb at $799. All the current tech at last generation’s prices.

I mean, if you can swing it the 4th gen 12.9” iPad Pro is going to be the best option.

64GB ain’t a lot these days.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.macrumors.com/2020/04/13/a12z-gpu-identical-to-a12x/amp/ - little explanation as to why they are the same processor

If she takes photos with it she is definitely going to want the newer one, too.

https://www.techradar.com/reviews/ipad-pro-11/4

Go with the latest version if you can manage it. Then she will get another 5 years out of it.

I suggest the current 11” iPad Pro (2nd gen). 128gb at $799. All the current tech at last generation’s prices.

I mean, if you can swing it the 4th gen 12.9” iPad Pro is going to be the best option.

64GB ain’t a lot these days.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mac...l-to-a12x/amp/ - little explanation as to why they are the same processor

If she takes photos with it she is definitely going to want the newer one, too.
I just found the one I mentioned above for $799 at B & H Video. She doesn't use it to take photos and would definitely prefer the 12.9" screen. She's probably going to want a new one in 5 years anyway and she's not someone who would ever use the most up to date technology. After reading a lot of reviews and comparisons, it seems the only real difference is the camera. I'm waiting to sneak a peak at her current iPad, but I'm guessing she's only used 15gb or less even after all these years. No movies, music, or phots saved.

Yeah, definitely go with that one then if you can get it for $799. Price to performance that won’t be beat.

The 2020s were just a minor refresh because they improved their chip manufacturing.

Yeah, definitely go with that one then if you can get it for $799. Price to performance that won’t be beat.

The 2020s were just a minor refresh because they improved their chip manufacturing.
Just checked her iPad and she has 17 of 28 GB left lol

@cricket: Yeah, if you’re not taking photo and video it’ll be hard to fill up.

No joke, tho, my 64GB phone was giving me space warnings at the end of my first week.

@cricket: Yeah, if you’re not taking photo and video it’ll be hard to fill up.

No joke, tho, my 64GB phone was giving me space warnings at the end of my first week.
I have everything on my phone and it's 16GB. Sometimes I'll have to delete texts to update an app. 400+ photos but not much else. Same for her phone.

Wifey's iPad is about 5 years old and she's been saying she wants a new one. Her B'day is about a month away so it's time to pony up. I don't know anything about them. She wants as big a screen as available and whatever is the closest to a computer. Not interested in any other brands.
Bought my 2nd iPad Air last month. Old one is 5 years old & going strong. But I wanted an iPad for each floor of my house.

This iPad Air is slightly bigger than my old one & is even lighter, which is important to me as I do a lot of reading on it at night.

Including my Smart Cover, total cost was $603. LOVE IT.

I also had it monogrammed with my name & phone number on the back, which is free.

https://www.apple.com/ipad-air/

Bought my 2nd iPad Air last month. Old one is 5 years old & going strong. But I wanted an iPad for each floor of my house.

This iPad Air is slightly bigger than my old one & is even lighter, which is important to me as I do a lot of reading on it at night.

Including my Smart Cover, total cost was $603. LOVE IT.

I also had it monogrammed with my name & phone number on the back, which is free.

https://www.apple.com/ipad-air/
Omg I'm glad she doesn't spend time in the basement!