Your favorite horror comedy gems

Tools    

I don't usually like horror-comedies but I have to add a film that (I think) hasn't been mentioned yet, Excision (2012). It's pretty decent and pretty dark.
I completely forgot about that film until you mentioned it. Oddly enough, I found it quite sad. Can’t fathom for the life of me why it’s a comedy. But it’s definitely a good one.

You didn’t miss much with Jennifer’s Body. Let’s just say it was an early effort better left alone.
That was the consensus of most of my horror pals, so I skipped it.

I also had the misfortune to watch Zombeavers (2014) a few weeks ago. The lockdown is to blame. My feelings aside, it certainly fits the genre requirements.
A likely excuse!!

I don't usually like horror-comedies but I have to add a film that (I think) hasn't been mentioned yet, Excision (2012). It's pretty decent and pretty dark.
I'm about 20 minutes into this one on Amazon Prime! I stopped because the cringe was a bit intense for me at the time (the part where
WARNING: spoilers below
she walks up to the boy on the bleachers and asks him to take her virginity I was like "NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!"
).

I'm about 20 minutes into this one on Amazon Prime! I stopped because the cringe was a bit intense for me at the time (the part where
she walks up to the boy on the bleachers and asks him to take her virginity I was like "NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!"
).

It gets even worse. If you’ve seen ‘The Sinner’ season 1, it’s very similar to that till the very end.
For some reason, I found it very very sad. I don’t even process it as a horror film, it’s more of a drama to me. Hence the ‘comedy’ classification baffles me, but I guess it is a sort of satire.

For some reason, I found it very very sad. I don’t even process it as a horror film, it’s more of a drama to me. Hence the ‘comedy’ classification baffles me, but I guess it is a sort of satire.
It's definitely sad in its own way, but I totally see it as a very dark comedy (or dramedy).

Idle Hands - a lot of fun with some earlys 2000s nostalgia
Club Dread - don't love all of Broken Lizard's stuff, but this film is gold
Tucker & Dale vs Evil - hilarious fun
Happy Death Day - a solid B-grade horror comedy, quite fun to watch

Lots of what's been mentioned already, but 3 that are special in that they got added to my disk-shelf recently are:

Ghostbusters - having spent time in the Big Apple but being in lock-down now in Baltimore with no upcoming visits for the time being, this is a great New York movie that reminds me of all the places that I've visited there and the general attitude of the place.

Tremors - pretty much nails my perception of what it's like to live in a dusty, western nowhere, even if it IS Perfection.

Re-Animator - what's more fun than a pie fight in a slaughterhouse.

Finally, someone who’s seen them! Something about what Benson and Moorhead do really resonates with me on a personal level, I go into them knowing I’ll love it and so far, I haven’t been disappointed. I’d say Resolution is the best, then The Endless (though I can understand how one could turn it off - films about sects/cults exist on their own plane), then Spring. I’m looking forward to Synchronic, but Covid-19 has messed up the release and now I don’t know when I’ll see it. I tried to find a DVD, but no such luck. Ah well. Good things come to those who wait.

I need to watch these two.

I've seen them too. I LOVED The Endless.

A couple to add to the list:

Dead Meat
Black Sheep

If One Cut of the Dead counts, then that's pretty great. It's one you have to go in blind, as in, without reading anything about it. The first 25 minutes or so are unbearably bad. I almost turned it off. But then it changes and becomes one of the funniest films I've seen in a while.

I'll have more to add after I've had a think.

I just saw Two Heads Creek. Wouldn't call it a gem, as it's kind of bad, but the gore is pretty funny once it starts.

Bubba Ho Tep (This **** is so ridiculous I won't even try the plot here.If you like great nonsense but with a witty script please check it out)

Another one of my favourites. It's hilarious and charming.