Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

saw 2003 it is best movie for me

Vigilante (1982)

I realized early on that I had already seen this, and looking at my records it was in 2017. It seems I feel much the same way. It's not quite trashy awesomeness but it is trashy fun.

Possession (1981)

5/5

Thanks again, @Takoma11, this was just as fantastic as I remembered it. Isabelle Adjani is perfect for the part. I’m now nostalgic for other Satanic-themed Sam Neill films.

Hail, Caesar - 2016

Love the Coen Brothers. Meant to watch this one a few years ago. It has a great cast. A good premise. Coen Brothers behind the camera. It was beautiful looking. It just didn't resonate with me like some of their other movies for some reason. Just hit a lull and never recovered. The characters were kinda of dull. I think the "bad guys" were sort of lame and not that interesting. Just not memorable like most Coen Brothers movie. I don't know just sort of a let down. Not horrible but not up to their general bar to me.

Just re-watched it. You make some good points. I actually enjoyed it more the second time from knowing before hand that it was a somewhat flat film, because it allowed me to concentrate on the better parts of the production. Sometimes a "black" comedy ought to be over the top to keep it from being too dull or droll. That may have been the case here.

I did think the acting was good. IMO Baird Whitlock is the best kind of role for George Clooney, who IMO was never a heavyweight actor. It was really Josh Brolin's show as the "fixer", Eddi Mannix, and he did a great job.

I didn't even recognize Frances McDormand. There were some fine performances and a few laughs, but as you say, not the best Coen Bros. I did however enjoy this film more so than The Ballad of Buster Scruggs...

~Doc

Possession (1981)

5/5

Thanks again, @Takoma11, this was just as fantastic as I remembered it. Isabel Adjani is perfect for the part. I’m now nostalgic for other Satanic-themed Sam Neill films.
I got to see this (twice!) in the theater and it's one of my favorite movies, period. Just about every minute of it make me uncomfortable in the best way. I know that the "subway sequence" is what's most often shown/referenced, but I think it's packed with interesting and disturbing imagery from beginning to end.

Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood (2019)

Thought this was good, decent chemistry between the main players. The storyline, not so sure about especially the ending....would have been nice to explore Rick Dalton's character more after his trailer wig-out and subsequent acting made him look like an interesting character.

The whole Family thing, didn't really see the need to shoehorn it so directly into Rick and Cliffs story, could have been a backdrop in a kinda "end of the love generation" motif....to make it so unnecessarily central to the story's ending was a bit daft I thought. Enjoyed this though!

Oh, learned that the Family *did* actually kill a Stuntman at the ranch!

Moderately interesting. I had to wiki first to see what it was all about.

A great scenery-chewing rôle for Pacino & he was amazing. Helen Mirren holding her own against him.

Hitchcock (2012)

Love movies about movies and loved Anthony Hopkins performance of Hitchcock so was a win for me and not sure why it took so long for me to watch, I guess I'm not a big Hitchcock fan, I enjoyed this more than the two Hitchcock film I have seen

Do you know what a roller pigeon is, Barney? They climb high and fast, then roll over and fall just as fast toward the earth. There are shallow rollers and deep rollers. You can’t breed two deep rollers, or their young will roll all the way down, hit, and die. Officer Starling is a deep roller, Barney. We should hope one of her parents was not.

The Land Unknown (1957)
Loved the monster effects in this movie. So bad but just so good.
Wow. Jock Mahoney. As a kid I used to love him in the TV series Yancy Derringer. I'll have to pull this up and re-watch it...

Just re-watched it. You make some good points. I actually enjoyed it more the second time from knowing before hand that it was a somewhat flat film, because it allowed me to concentrate on the better parts of the production. Sometimes a "black" comedy ought to be over the top to keep it from being too dull or droll. That may have been the case here.

I did think the acting was good. IMO Baird Whitlock is the best kind of role for George Clooney, who IMO was never a heavyweight actor. It was really Josh Brolin's show as the "fixer", Eddi Mannix, and he did a great job.

I didn't even recognize Frances McDormand. There were some fine performances and a few laughs, but as you say, not the best Coen Bros. I did however enjoy this film more so than The Ballad of Buster Scruggs...

~Doc
I agree. I'd probably enjoy it the 2nd time more. There were great performances. Just fell flat compared to Coen Bros other movies. Just was not memorable. The communist angle just didn't work for me. It was fine production and acting wise even writing wise for dialogue. The plot was just dull and boring too me. Didn't give a sh*t about the characters.

101 Favorite Movies (2019)

I will need to find this.. I enjoy spanish films.. I have a close friend in Argentina that I used to watch these with all the time. Im a huge Ricardo Darin fan thanks to him.
You need to look for it in the Cough... Cough... Cough... sources!

The Amazing Jonathan Documentary (2019)

There is a subgenre of documentaries where the film itself becomes a major plot point (I am Another You, Grizzly Man, etc). They can kind of cut both ways, because it can feel like the ego-centrism of the filmmaker has taken over the film.

This one, however, is pretty successful. Ben Berman is a director filming a documentary about the Amazing Jonathan, a popular comedy magician who has been given a terminal diagnosis and is only expected to live another year. Jonathan decides that rather than dying at home, he wants to go out swinging and embarks on a mini-tour. Berman dutifully covers the tour and then . . . the other crew shows up.

It's frustrating to try and sell people on certain documentaries, because most of the joy from them comes from the way that the story unfolds in unexpected ways. Much like another recent documentary I loved (Three Identical Strangers), I was completely blindsided by several developments. I won't give anything away, but every 10 minutes or so it felt like something significant was revealed.

Something that helps is the cheeky presentation of the film. In one example, Jonathan offers to show the crew his routine for "smoking speed" (spoiler, it's not speed, it's meth). As he raises the pipe to his mouth, they muse about showing it on camera, and suddenly the film freezes and we hear a phone call in which they decided it isn't a good idea, and a large black box appears, censoring the pipe on screen.

It also helps that Berman doesn't try to frame himself as a victim or a hero. He makes a lot of mistakes, and interviews with other people involved help contextualize how personally he's taking things. There are a lot of moving pieces in this film, and I think they are juggled pretty well.

Also, this movie is funny. Jonathan himself is funny, and the way that the movie is edited plays to this as a strength. I laughed out loud at several points. The movie uses the same technique several times (showing a scene and then flashing back to hours earlier to provide context, such as when someone says something controversial and then a flashback shows that the person was actually an actor paid by the filmmakers to say it), but it worked pretty much every time.

I was, so-to-speak, on the edge of my seat the whole time. This one is streaming on Hulu.

Eurovision Song Contest: The Fire Saga
(2020)
3/5
It was a bit entertaining but silly as well. It was nice to see Mikael Persbrandt in it. Dan Stevens character was a bit flamboyant. Also, it had actual Eurovision contestants in it.

The Bourne Supremacy (2004, Paul Greengrass)

Just as good as the first one - and wow, the car chases in these films are just insane.
And, needless to say, watching Bourne literally running circles around everybody is incredibly satisfying.

The Bourne Supremacy (2004, Paul Greengrass)

Just as good as the first one - and wow, the car chases in these films are just insane.
And, needless to say, watching Bourne literally running circles around everybody is incredibly satisfying.
It's a really solid trilogy. I can't speak to the later films, but original three are great and I've rewatched all three several times. The supporting casts are really good as well.