Films You Hate, But Everyone Else Loves

Tools    

Gladiator

I don't know if I would say I hate it but I find the plot to be completely predictable and not interesting much at all, and I'm just not seeing all the hype.

I don't get all the fuss over Gladiator either...other than Joaquin Phoenix's performance, I found the film was boring.

The Notebook LOL

The original Ghostbusters.I suffered through it all just because its a classic movie that everybody is supposed to watch.I thought it would be good:it was a total waste of time.

The original Ghostbusters.I suffered through it all just because its a classic movie that everybody is supposed to watch.I thought it would be good:it was a total waste of time.

Yeah I found it average at best. Doesn't deserve it's iconic status.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
The Deer Hunter

I will get flak for this one, but I don't hate it, but don't like either. For me it's a mixed bag, but I don't see it as the masterpiece that it's held at. The problem is, a lot of scenes just go on for too long, with too much fluff, and the movie would really have been better, and more focused, if cut down to around 100-120 minutes, rather than three hours.

Another one I kind of hate is The Usual Suspects. I watched it twice now, to give it a second chance, and I still find it to be a very mediocre thriller, with nothing really entertaining about it really.

Training Day (2001)

I've always thought it was a completely average and forgettable thriller, with no moments that grab me at all, and do not understand all the hype.

Training Day (2001)

I've always thought it was a completely average and forgettable thriller, with no moments that grab me at all, and do not understand all the hype.
I saw it in the theater and really enjoyed it, but I don't think that it's generally regarded as being much more than an above-average thriller. I did think that Denzel's performance was memorable (I mean, it's over the top, but it fits the film), and Hawke's more grounded performance is a good counterbalance. It's been 20 years since I saw it, but I can still remember that moment when Alonzo has the showdown with the neighborhood.

I gave it a 7 on IMDb.

Oh okay, all my friend's love this movie and think it's an A plus thriller the way they talk about it.

Welcome to the human race...
Again, my problem with knowing what titles to pick for this thread is complicated by how exactly you are meant to define "everyone".

Again, my problem with knowing what titles to pick for this thread is complicated by how exactly you are meant to define "everyone".
Or even what you mean by "love".

My interpretation of this question is usually "All my friends/acquaintances with whom I discuss movies seem to really like or even love this movie, and I did not!".

It's a distinct and not-great feeling. Very much . . .

Aw, I think Rocky Horror is kind of perfect for what it is. I can sort of agree with "overhyped", because at this point it has so much cultural capital and it's such a (wonderfully) ramshackle film. Seeing it with a good crowd is a really fun experience.

Bearing in mind the ambiguity acknowledged above regarding ‘everyone’, I hated The Island of Dr. Moreau, which seems to be a well-regarded classic, all in all. Admittedly, I’ve only seen one half of the 1977 and 3/4 of the 1933 version. I might try a rewatch, but the graphics and the whole thing left me very unimpressed.

I saw it in the theater and really enjoyed it, but I don't think that it's generally regarded as being much more than an above-average thriller. I did think that Denzel's performance was memorable (I mean, it's over the top, but it fits the film), and Hawke's more grounded performance is a good counterbalance. It's been 20 years since I saw it, but I can still remember that moment when Alonzo has the showdown with the neighborhood.

I gave it a 7 on IMDb.

I agree. It's Denzel's performance that elevates the film. He really lets loose in that last scene...

"King Kong ain't got s**t on me! " lol

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
This is the
risk-everyone-hating-you topic.

If someone hates me for hating awful movies - so be it....

I think most have been covered.. I hate every movie listed in the last 40 years, but my Golden Age have some movies everyone seems to love, that I don't... "Dr. Zhivago", "Lawrence of Arabia"... I guess I don't like David Lean, didn't care for "The Bridge On The River Kwai", which I looked forward to since I've ridden a motorbike over the (real) bridge many times after midnight. I do like the scene where the Japanese general shouts about "Rules! Rules??"