Movie You're Watching Tonight

Tools    

I'm watching Fatal Attraction!

[center]Thomas Vinterberg
Very different films, but I loved both Festen and his recent adaptation of Far from the Madding Crowd. Far from the Madding Crowd, specifically is one of my favorite films from recent years. I found The Hunt to be really good, but it stressed me out so much that I never finished it (I think I had about 30 minutes left).

Very different films, but I loved both Festen and his recent adaptation of Far from the Madding Crowd. Far from the Madding Crowd, specifically is one of my favorite films from recent years. I found The Hunt to be really good, but it stressed me out so much that I never finished it (I think I had about 30 minutes left).
Jagten is amazing! Both Thomas as a director and Mads and Bo as actors. I'm a huge fan of Mads. I have seen all his films except for "At Eternity's Gate". I refuse to watch "After the Wedding" with Michelle Williams because I am sure no one can act better than Mads.

I have seen several of Bo's films as well.

Jagten is amazing! Both Thomas as a director and Mads and Bo as actors. I'm a huge fan of Mads. I have seen all his films except for "At Eternity's Gate". I refuse to watch "After the Wedding" with Michelle Williams because I am sure no one can act better than Mads.
I agree that Mads is pretty great.

In terms of Jagten, I myself am a schoolteacher and at the time that I was watching the film I had a student who was a victim of abuse (at home, not at school). Obviously for a teacher a false accusation of hurting a child is one of your biggest nightmares. That combination just made it a really hard film for me.

While I don't really like it when movies I'm fond of are remade, I will just say that Michelle Williams is pretty amazing. She might not do better than the original cast, but I'd certainly watch her interpretation of the story.

I agree that Mads is pretty great.

While I don't really like it when movies I'm fond of are remade, I will just say that Michelle Williams is pretty amazing. She might not do better than the original cast, but I'd certainly watch her interpretation of the story.
I am not fond of remakes.

Why watch "Vanilla Sky" when you can watch Abre los ojos? Why watch "The Secret In Their Eyes" when you can watch El secreto de sus ojos? Why watch "Insomnia" with Al Pacino when I can watch the original with Stellan Skarsgård? Why watch "Let Me In" when you can watch Låt den rätte komma in? Why watch "Cold Pursuit" when you can watch Kraftidioten?

I prefer the original versions over any remake. The originals tend to be better in my opinion.

I am not fond of remakes.

I prefer the original versions over any remake. The originals tend to be better in my opinion.
Generally speaking I agree, but I do think that remakes can have their merits. I do think that it's annoying when films are remade simply to be in English.

But things like Ocean's Eleven and True Grit are worthy updates. The Fly takes a 1950s monster movie premise and updates it admirably with a very different thematic heft, and the same could probably be said for the 1970s version of Invasion of the Body Snatchers.

Michelle Williams is honestly a good enough actress that I'd want to see what she'd do, remake or not.

It's kind of like someone covering a song you like. If they do it either really well or with enough of a unique spin, it can actually be fun to see how it plays off of the original.

Generally speaking I agree, but I do think that remakes can have their merits. I do think that it's annoying when films are remade simply to be in English.

But things like Ocean's Eleven and True Grit are worthy updates. The Fly takes a 1950s monster movie premise and updates it admirably with a very different thematic heft, and the same could probably be said for the 1970s version of Invasion of the Body Snatchers.

Michelle Williams is honestly a good enough actress that I'd want to see what she'd do, remake or not.

It's kind of like someone covering a song you like. If they do it either really well or with enough of a unique spin, it can actually be fun to see how it plays off of the original.
Not to mention John Carpenter's The Thing which I think far surpasses its original film The Thing from Another World.
Imagine an eye unruled by man-made laws of perspective, an eye unprejudiced by compositional logic, an eye which does not respond to the name of everything but which must know each object encountered in life through an adventure of perception. How many colors are there in a field of grass to the crawling baby unaware of 'Green'?

-Stan Brakhage

Not to mention John Carpenter's The Thing which I think far surpasses its original film The Thing from Another World.
Agreed. I was thinking of The Thing as I was writing about The Fly. I think that you could throw The Blob in there as well.