The Personal Recommendation Hall of Fame

Tools    

It almost feels like this was a film made to cash in on a popular t.v. show, except that t.v. show doesn't exist.
I guess technically it was "cashing in" on a comic book, but there was actually a tv series planned that would expand on the film's universe and show us more of Mega City One.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Dredd surprised me when I eventually saw it.
It had come out around a lot of remakes and re-imaginings of a few 80's, 90's action films, and the like and I thought it would be a poor adaption at best.
I was wrong.
Pleasantly so.
And yeah, @Hey Fredrick, I kept thinking about The Raid; Redemption as well with the premise lol
And, like you and so many others, thoroughly enjoyed the slo-mo drug effect scenes.
I also didn't expect Karl Urban to pull it off, but he did a pretty good job of it. So, an entertaining excursion into the comic book universe.

This talk about Dredd makes me want to see it again. I thoroughly enjoyed that film, and own 3 different copies of it - my favourite being the beautiful Mondo steelbook.

If it came back to IMAX theatres tomorrow I would pay to see that again in 3D without hesitation, pandemic be damned. That's saying a lot because I typically hate the use of 3D in film and avoid 3D screenings at all costs. It actually really enhanced the atmosphere in Dredd and I'd love to experience it that way again.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

Black Narcissus

Sister Clodagh: [to Mr. Dean] You are objectionable when sober, and abominable when drunk!
Mr. Dean: [Taking the time to mount his pony before answering] I agree.

Quite a remarkable film that follows my previous watches -- aka Right up my alley.
I just had to post a number of images instead of just one (and I'm not done) to truly express how colorful and rich this film is and how, choosing technicolor instead of black&white for this British film from 1947 was THE way to go.

A group of Anglican Sisters are sent from Calcutta to this location in the Himalayas,

to reside in what was once a palace for a previous General's concubines; to teach, feed and give medical assistance to the children and women of the village below.
The contrast of the nuns' dedication to their religious beliefs while living in such a sensually beautiful location along with such colorfully dressed denizens is the very heart and soul of this film.
Beginning with newly appointed and youngest Mother Superior at the age of twenty-five is Deborah Kerr. Who's only other performance I have seen is from The Innocents and very much like that one, she IS captivating and haunting in her presence as she struggles to take care of her duties while suddenly finding herself thinking back to days before she was a nun.
On the full extreme of the effect of the location, Kathleen Byron (Sister Ruth) is quintessentially haunting as she dives into the erotic fervor of the locale without abandon.

One other actress, a late teen-aged Jean Simmons was an amazing surprise whom I did not recognize as a local mischievous girl by the name of Kanchi.

As you can see it is a beautiful and sensually charged film that kept me en-rapt and intrigued by the characters, the premise and all that occurs.
This is a film that has beckoned me every time it has passed by my peripheral, so, THANK YOU to whomever nominated it for me so that I may FINALLY answer its call.

It's been a long time since I seen Black Narcissus, but those screen shots alone make the film look extra special. Not my pick for you though, I don't think you've watched my movie yet.

That's a good movie anyway but those visuals really let it stand out.

Going to try to watch Paris, Texas on Monday.
I've never seen Paris, Texas. Not even sure what it is about? Though I've heard about it of course.

The trick is not minding
Blood Simple

Not a scene wasted. Not even a line of dialogue without reason. No filler. In fact, the dialogue is sparse. Indeed, there is a good 20 mins where there is no dialogue. Coen let’s the scenes unfold and helps build the suspense was he does it.
This was the Coens Brothers first hit. And man is it ever. Stand our performances by Dan Hedaya and Frances McDormand as a married couple on the rocks. She Has left him for his employee, Ray (played with a certain cluelessness by John Getz) Hedaya hires a private investigator (M Emmett Walsh).
What follows is a double cross, followed by a misunderstanding followed by truly stupid actions by all involved. But it’s so realistic I thought to myself “Yeah, I can see that happening.”
And maybe that’s the beauty of this film. It actually could have happened the way it’s portrayed. And the actions of each actor is believable.
The ending is both bloody and violent. But not gratuitous. It doesn’t linger over its violence as Tarantino would.
And when it’s all said and done, we almost laugh with the final line spoken.
Such a great film. I want to watch it again already.

I’m not ashamed to admit I’m slightly cynical about kids/family films: They usually have very similar story beats and are sometimes indistinguishable from each other. Still, Wreck it Ralph manages to be a very enjoyable film.

It’s another “What if BLANK could talk?” film, except it’s about characters at an arcade, which is a very unique idea. Like Toy Story it uses its unique setting to delve into interesting ideas: Society views Ralph as the bad guy, even though he is only fulfilling his purpose in life. The use of pre-existing characters and video games really help to make the world feel big and lived in (That Metal Gear Solid reference did make me laugh).

The voice acting is good for the most part, I feel John C. Reilly could have been more emotive. Jack McBrayer I feel is the best as his voice really fits the character (I recognized his voice immediately as the guy from 'The Middle' lol). The comedy isn't laugh out loud but there are a few good jokes here and there. The locations are all very unique and perfectly remind you of the many different games your nearest arcade has. The characters I feel are all written well and all bounce off each other well, seeing Ralph teaching Vanellope to race for example is a joy to watch. The entire thing is animated very well and I have great respect to the many artists whose backs are probably broken after working on 3D animated films.

If I were to say anything negative about it, probably just that its story beats and structure are all too similar to most recent Disney and Pixar films, I think at least. Still, I guess if a formula isn’t broke, don’t fix it.

Nice pick @Miss Vicky

+