For Memento Aficionados

Tools    

Why does leonard shelby take the clothes and the car of the drug dealer he kills at the end of the movie?

I don't buy the line "It's better to have the clothes of the victim than the killer" as a reason...it must be something else. So what's the reason ?

To sell, it's all about the money.
It's always all about the money isn't it?

For future reference, a bump is not necessary when you post something at night, ET, and don't have a response by morning.

Anyway, you need to say more than "I don't buy the line." Why don't you? It makes logical sense. They put out BOLOs and APBs and whatnot for killers, so you don't want to be dressed like them.

For future reference, a bump is not necessary when you post something at night, ET, and don't have a response by morning.

Anyway, you need to say more than "I don't buy the line." Why don't you? It makes logical sense. They put out BOLOs and APBs and whatnot for killers, so you don't want to be dressed like them.
But going around with the stuff of a dead person will be recognized by the people who knew the dead person won't they ? moreover in the movie...the only person who sees his crime is a crooked cop and he changed the clothes long before even the cop came in. So it just doesnt make sense.

But going around with the stuff of a dead person will be recognized by the people who knew the dead person won't they ?
Wha? I don't "recognize" when some random person wears the same shirt a friend of mine owns, unless it's wildly specific or something.

Even if I did, it's relative: the above is speculative (does anyone around even know him? Are they nearby) whereas the alternative is not (the cops will definitely be looking for a killer). Describing downsides isn't enough, they have to be worse than the downside of wearing what "the killer" did.

Wha? I don't "recognize" when some random person wears the same shirt a friend of mine owns, unless it's wildly specific or something.

Even if I did, it's relative: the above is speculative (does anyone around even know him? Are they nearby) whereas the alternative is not (the cops will definitely be looking for a killer). Describing downsides isn't enough, they have to be worse than the downside of wearing what "the killer" did.
How about the same car as the dead person for a reason

That's an unrelated question, for a few reasons. The clothing question is either-or: he has to pick one or the other. The car thing might not have the same alternatives. Does he have another way to get around? Does he remember whose car it is? Et cetera.

That's an unrelated question, for a few reasons. The clothing question is either-or: he has to pick one or the other. The car thing might not have the same alternatives. Does he have another way to get around? Does he remember whose car it is? Et cetera.
This tells me that its been a while since you have seen the movie

It has, but the car question is still unrelated to the clothing question. It seems like you're moving on from your first question onto another one, and treating "does Shelby make any questionable decisions at all?" as if it were the initial question.

I don't really get that, but when combined with saying "don't buy" with no elaboration (about something that seems superficially logical, too), and then immediately moving onto something else, I'm gettin' the vibe that this is less a question and more of a declaration.

That doesn't mean your question "does he remember whose car it is ? or does he have another way to get around ?" are the right questions to ask. Anyways...i get that bumping the thread made it necessary for you to intervene. But as I said, my questions can be better answered by Memento Aficionados only. I assumed there might be some in this forum.

Er, no, bumping the thread just made me notice that the bump was wildly premature, and while I was replying anyway, I felt like pointing out that you hadn't provided any reason to doubt the clothing choice, particularly given that the choice seems at least superficially logical (meaning elaboration is definitely required).

For the record, I've seen Memento a bunch of times, own it, etc. But in my experience, when someone has clearly made up their mind about something (evidenced by things like not explaining their position upfront and changing the criteria of the question without warning), and I do go and rewatch to come up with answers, those answers are just glibly dismissed, and I end up doing cinematic homework for someone who wasn't interested in a discussion in the first place.

So, I'll probably pass. Feel free to make your case, though you probably shouldn't phrase it as if it were an actual question.