Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Arkansas (2020)

Pretty middle of the road crime thriller that suffered from bland actors. The story and mystery (Frog) itself is not that interesting either.

BANNED
BlacKkKlansman 9/10

Metropolis (1927)

The original orchestral soundtrack alone makes me give this film a five star rating. The film is great too.
Imagine an eye unruled by man-made laws of perspective, an eye unprejudiced by compositional logic, an eye which does not respond to the name of everything but which must know each object encountered in life through an adventure of perception. How many colors are there in a field of grass to the crawling baby unaware of 'Green'?

-Stan Brakhage

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

The Last Days of American Crime (Olivier Megaton, 2020)
+ 4.5/10
Becky (Jonathan Milott & Cary Murnion, 2020)
5.5/10
A Little Romance (George Roy Hill, 1979)
7/10
Shirley (Josephine Decker, 2020)
6/10

Writer Shirley Jackson (Kate Moss) and her professor husband Michael Stuhlbarg seem to be playing some kind of sexual games as she writes her new book.
The Tracker (Giorgio Serafini, 2019)
5/10
Blue Story (Andrew Onwubolu, 2019)
5.5/10
In the Radiant City (Rachel Lambert, 2016)
- 5/10
And when I die, I won't stay dead (Billy Woodberry, 2015)
6.5/10

Beat poet Bob Kaufman underwent major health and personality changes when the state deems him undesirable, throws him in a mental hospital and electroshocks him.
Boomtown (Sabyn Mayfield, 2017)
5/10
Rachel, Rachel (Paul Newman, 1968)
- 6.5/10
Confessional (Brad T. Gottfred, 2019)
- 5/10
The Young Master (Jackie Chan, 1980)
6/10

Jackie Chan takes on another overrated kung fu master.
Excess Flesh (Patrick Kennelly, 2015)
- 5/10
The Devil Within Her (Peter Sasdy, 1975)
+ 4.5/10
Hopscotch (Ronald Neame, 1980)
7/10
Judex (Georges Franju, 1963)
6.5/10

Borderline surrealistic mystery adventure with plenty of intrigue and surprise.
Left on Purpose (Justin Schein, 2015)
6.5/10
The Show AKA This Is Your Death (Giancarlo Esposito, 2017)
5.5/10
Fine Lines (Dina Khreino, 2019)
6.5/10
The Children of the Century (Diane Kurys, 1999)
6/10

Novelist George Sand (Juliette Binoche) shares a brief passion with jealous poet Alfred de Musset (Benoît Magimel).

Time to Hunt (2020)

A Korean heist film that goes almost slasher towards the end. The script is inconsistent and stupid, none of the leads have charisma and the villain (sort of, at least) is completely forgettable. In addition to all that, the film is (like quite a few Korean films) way too long for its content. It leaves a room for a sequel too, but I think I was bored enough with this one already.

--

Der Hauptmann (2017)
aka The Captain

A mix of drama and satire about a German deserter during the last weeks of the Third Reich. He comes upon a captain's uniform and takes the role. Everyone is eager to follow orders, but also to do whatever to survive. I'm usually a fan of B&W filming but here I don't really see the point. It does a fine job of balancing between serious and fun (like almost serious, nothing as wacky as Jojo). There are small pacing issues and the ending is a little rushed. I kind of liked it (rating is generous by my standards)...

Knocked Up (2007)

Another 5-star rating for a comedy movie I can't help but love despite it's flaws. It helps that I have more than one friend that reminds me strongly of Seth Rogen. This is the first time I've watched it since becoming a father, and the scenes I find the most humor in have definitely altered.

Skin Game (1931)

Alfred Hitchcock

A feud over land between two families leads to tragedy in this early Hitchcock effort. Worth checking out if you are a Hitchcock fan but doesn’t have the master of suspense touch that we know and love.

Not exactly great family entertainment. An orphaned girl hooks up with a travelling carnival and goes through all kinds of abuse from various sideshow freaks until a Western magician shows up and "protects" her. The magician is a sensitive type so don't call him short or tell him to get back into his bottle or he will eff you up. Real bad. This is a pretty brutal toon that looks like it was ripped right from a comic book. Was interesting for most of its short runtime but lost me a little at the end.

Trolls World Tour. Ewww

Not exactly great family entertainment. An orphaned girl hooks up with a travelling carnival and goes through all kinds of abuse from various sideshow freaks until a Western magician shows up and "protects" her. The magician is a sensitive type so don't call him short or tell him to get back into his bottle or he will eff you up. Real bad. This is a pretty brutal toon that looks like it was ripped right from a comic book. Was interesting for most of its short runtime but lost me a little at the end.
Midori is a gem. I liked it a lot.

Never heard of this before. Any idea if the version on Youtube is complete (IMDb says this is 56 minutes but the one on Youtube is only 48 minutes)?

Knocked Up (2007)

Another 5-star rating for a comedy movie I can't help but love despite it's flaws. It helps that I have more than one friend that reminds me strongly of Seth Rogen. This is the first time I've watched it since becoming a father, and the scenes I find the most humor in have definitely altered.

5 stars? Seriously?

Are you gonna bark all day, little doggy?
A Hidden Life (2019): 8/10

One of the few Christian films with true artistic merit (among other films such as Ben-Hur, Chariots of Fire, The Last Temptation...etc.). Portraying the true story of an Austrian man trying to stay true to his religious values during Nazi occupation, A Hidden Life is wonderfully directed and acted, on top of Terrence Malick's love-it-or-hate-it editing style.

Warning: It is a very slow paced film—at nearly 3 hours it is more of an spiritual meditation rather than an actual historical narrative. Those looking for a biopic will be disappointed.

Never heard of this before. Any idea if the version on Youtube is complete (IMDb says this is 56 minutes but the one on Youtube is only 48 minutes)?
No idea. Looks like the one I saw was 48 minutes.

5 stars? Seriously?
Haha I admitted it's not perfect in my summary (it's too long for one), but I will turn this movie on any time I have the chance.

Arkansas (2020)

Pretty middle of the road crime thriller that suffered from bland actors. The story and mystery (Frog) itself is not that interesting either.
I liked it more than you did. Here's my review:

Arkansas (2020)

Director: Clark Duke; Stars: Liam Helmsworth, Clark Duke, Vince Vaughn, John Malkovich, Vivica A. Fox, Michael K. Williams.

This clever film had a mind numbing 30 producers/exec producers, and 6 production companies. Possibly this was to “spread the risk” a little for a movie which had a first feature director and a cinematographer who was also new to feature films.

It’s a Coenesque story with clever dialogue, and quirky drama. There were several twists in this offbeat tale of Dixie drug dealings which held one’s interest, but whose length at 115 minutes could probably have been trimmed a little in the middle to maintain pacing.

Duke, who directed and co-wrote, starred as Helmsworth’s partner, and was an odd bit of casting (as in
Twins), but it was acceptable in a quirky picture. This was not too far off from a bullseye, but Helmsworth’s character might have been better cast, and the middle seemed to drag a little.

Doc’s rating: 7/10