Back To The Future is a true Masterpiece

Tools    

Over the past two days, I’ve played in three showings of ‘Back To The Future in concert’ where we, a symphony orchestra, played the orchestral score alongside the film as it screened.

I’ve always considered it a great film but, after sitting through it 3 times for the past two days I find myself watching it again now in my free time, enjoying every minute.

Everything’s so on point:

The plot, cast, acting, directing, music - everything.

I think all truly great art contains a lot of comedy and BTTF is totally hilarious throughout, often due to the brilliant timing of Michael J Fox and Christopher Lloyd.

Biff Tannen is also one of the greatest film baddies of all time imo - it’s easy to believe that almost everyone knows someone like him.

I just want to live in the BTTF world too - in either timeline.....

Watch it again if you haven’t seen it for a while or, if you’ve never seen it before, watch it NOW!

Nah, it's just a very well made movie for kids, but it's far from a masterpiece.

Probably useful to define our terms; obviously you feel "masterpiece" is a term reserved for a certain form of high art, for example, whereas many others could (and certainly do) define it as the highest form within a given category, in which case Back to the Future can be a "masterpiece" of science fiction and/or sci-fi comedy, even if it's not aspiring to be high art.

I definitely wouldn't call it a children's movie, though. Should be obvious why, but I'll let John Mulaney expound for me:

Probably useful to define our terms; obviously you feel "masterpiece" is a term reserved for a certain form of high art, for example, whereas many others could (and certainly do) define it as the highest form within a given category, in which case Back to the Future can be a "masterpiece" of science fiction and/or sci-fi comedy, even if it's not aspiring to be high art.

I definitely wouldn't call it a children's movie, though. Should be obvious why, but I'll let John Mulaney expound for me:

it will never be surpassed and it s a downright classic

Welcome to the human race...
I think I'll side with Yoda on this one and say that it's a superlative example of a specific type of film (i.e. high-concept sci-fi comedy adventure) but not necessarily translate to an overall masterpiece.

A system of cells interlinked
I'd hesitate to call it a masterpiece, but it's a great movie, and highly entertaining still to this day. One of the main strengths is the excellent script with the two perfectly interwoven plot lines of getting back to the future and saving Doc Brown working in concert with one another. Pacing is fantastic, as well.

Welcome to the human race...
I distinctly remember the precise moment that I realised how well it was working was when they were first hatching the plan where Doc hypothesises that they'd need a lightning strike to power the flux capacitator and Marty manages to provide the flyer he'd received earlier in the film about the clock tower. It's a simple moment, but one that made me realise that this was a certain kind of cinematic genius at work.

Over the past two days, I’ve played in three showings of ‘Back To The Future in concert’ where we, a symphony orchestra, played the orchestral score alongside the film as it screened.

I’ve always considered it a great film but, after sitting through it 3 times for the past two days I find myself watching it again now in my free time, enjoying every minute.

Everything’s so on point:

The plot, cast, acting, directing, music - everything.

I think all truly great art contains a lot of comedy and BTTF is totally hilarious throughout, often due to the brilliant timing of Michael J Fox and Christopher Lloyd.

Biff Tannen is also one of the greatest film baddies of all time imo - it’s easy to believe that almost everyone knows someone like him.

I just want to live in the BTTF world too - in either timeline.....

Watch it again if you haven’t seen it for a while or, if you’ve never seen it before, watch it NOW!

The first Back to the Future is one of the few films I would rate

It has some flaws. For example, Biff inexplicably changes personality at the end (only to change back for the sequel), but it's one of my favorites. It is well written, with little jokes I didn't catch with the first viewing (For example, Twin Pine Mall becomes Lone Pine Mall.), and the exposition is done very smoothly. It also appeals to at least two age groups: teens and their parents, with the inside joke being that parents were once teens themselves. But, no, it's really not for younger kids.

I love back to the future to death, but personally not sure if i'd say it's a masterpiece from a filmmaking perspective. In terms of enjoyment and memories? Absolutely a masterpiece in that aspect!

Masterpiece for sure. I mean, it’s got a time traveling dog, terrorists, and old man Peabody.

It has a JCPenny in it, too. I’d say it captures the heart of America in the 80s. Or maybe I’m just reminiscing but I still say it’s a masterpiece when we look at its impact on fans. I don’t think I’ve been to a sci-fi convention without seeing at least one Marty McFly. There’s usually more
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	D3B4F24D-9D3B-41B4-9F43-5764AD143A59.jpeg
Views:	153
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	65179  

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
I agree that it's a true masterpiece. I would also say that Back to the Future Part III is underrated, because it's often said to the be the least best, but I think it may be on par with the original even.

It's not a masterpiece but a decent, enjoyable flick to watch, hopefully with some kids.

I agree it's a masterpiece. One of the most entertaining films ever made. The entire trilogy is my favorite, and yes it's more beloved to me than Stars Wars, The Godfather, and Nolan's Batman films.
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

i think back to the future is a childish vision of what a time travel movie should be from steven spielberg school of filmmaking. Robert zemeckis gave himself away as a massive nerd with these movies. Its enjoyable and has sense of adventure but it really is not a mature vision of time travel. The themes doesnt stay with you after watching the movie other than the fun of it.

I watched "Back In Time: A Back to the Future Documentary" recently and it gives a good reason why film schools use the script to teach what is considered a "Perfect Script". I was talking to someone about the documentary and found this site.

https://filmschoolrejects.com/past-p...-863eb5ff51cb/

it says "Not only does Back To The Future balance its narrative across three timelines – the original 1985, 1955, and the altered 1985 – it does so while developing multiple iterations of more than half a dozen characters – Marty, the McFly family, Biff, Doc Brown, Mr. Strickland – and blending elements of action, adventure, comedy, and technology-driven sci-fi that’s all been made palatable for a young audience. That’s the plotting equivalent of juggling chainsaws that have been set on fire while standing on a tightrope over a Sarlacc pit – you gotta really know what you’re doing."

Myself, I feel it's not perfect but then I didn't go to film school. I'm just a normal person who was a teenager when this film came out, who enjoys it. Its not even my favorite 80's teen film.