how do you choose a movie to watch?

Tools    

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Stirchley i didn t get it yet, are you a woman or a man??
She's a gal.
That's evident based on your film tab posts
Right? Pulp Fiction and Shawshank Redemption and some Godfather. I'm a film newbie. I started yesterday please recommend me movies like Inception.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Boldly going.
Sometimes it's recommendations from this group here.
I tend to watch whatever I'm in the mood for. If I can't decide, I watch my DVDs in alphabetical order (more-a-less). It takes about a year to go through my entire collection (I'm currently in the letter T... I think I might watch The Terminator next).
I tend to save my favourite movies for a Friday and/or Saturday night.
I often browse the genres in Netflix or Kanopy or DVR, sometimes.

I've found many movies by reading the reviews and noting the ratings right here on the "Rate the Last Movie You Saw" thread, and similar listings. I automatically throw out ones that are ultra violent, horror, SJ, zombies, women's films and the like. Then I Iook at IMDB, Wiki, or several reviewers whom I admire. Oftentimes I read the entire plot. The reason for that is that there is so much schlock and garbage out there that I want to know what I'm getting into before I waste 90 mins.+ of my life. Also there are a few folks whose recommendations will send me to a film without much pre-research.

~Doc

I have a few sources I use for movie watching. I get emails from many sites and film foundations so I keep my eye out for those. I have an app on my phone and saved on my laptop that I can use to see which film is on which streaming site.

Sometimes I just browse Prime, Hulu, Disney+ or Netflix to find something

It's simple. I sit down, look at all my options, think about what I'm in the mood for, realize I'm in the mood to watch a TV show instead, and do that, while my movie pile grows forever.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
First I check what's playing on TCM, then I check a few other movie channels on cable TV. If I still haven't found something that looks interesting, I browse through the rest of the TV listings.

If there's still nothing worth watching, (which is more often than you would think), I have a watchlist of movies that people here on MoFo have recommended. Some are from current or past HoFs, some are from the "Rate the Last Movie You Saw" thread, and some are from other random review threads.

I also have hundreds of DVDs, (movies and TV shows), many of which I still haven't watched, so sometimes I pick a random DVD based on my mood.

By the combination of both systematic and unsystematic.

First, I need to do the research about who are my opponents, what their tactics, then pick each possible target and solution based on a whim, as Impressionistic as possible.

Right after that I'll analyze the match and results, send it to the lab, test the data qualitatively and quantitatively before I formulate the feedback algorithm.

But then I realize how much bs that I write rather than actually, coherently did.

Honestly, sometimes I don't even know.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
I'm in the mood to watch a TV show instead
A traitor! Come on, say, that you're in the mood to play a video game, too! Stop cheating on films, they have feelings, too, you know!

When I hear about movies that seem interesting I add them to a list. They can be movies other people recommend to me personall, or movies that people who's taste I like highly rate. Sometimes I type in google, "Top 100 _____ Movies." Or I look up who are the greatest directors of all time and look through the lists of their movies. I also browse cult cinema websites, or criterion collection. I also look up movements like French New Wave. And when I see an actor or actress I like I sometimes look up their movies and go through all the ones that sound and look interesting.

I make a list and then I prioritise the list in terms of personal appeal and reputation. I often spend more time researching movies than actually watching them.

To some extent it's haphazard though, and sometimes I just watch a random movie I'm in the mood for by feeling it out. Or browse second hand video stores and grab something that catches my eye.

The old Movie Poster. They used to tell you everything you need to know about the movie.

For example, these go to the top of the watchlist:

Stirchley i didn t get it yet, are you a woman or a man??
Wow. Digress much? I’m female.

I automatically throw out ones that are ultra violent, horror, SJ, zombies, women's films and the like.
Wonder how doc defines “women’s films”.

It's simple. I sit down, look at all my options, think about what I'm in the mood for, realize I'm in the mood to watch a TV show instead, and do that, while my movie pile grows forever.
The worst thing that can happen (and has happened to me) is to go through the options for a long time (like at least an hour), and then come to the conclusion that you have nothing you want to watch and do something else instead.

I choose by genre. I like Comedies, Sci-Fi, Thrillers, Mystery and Heist Crime. If trailer of these genres seem alright, I'm likely to watch that movie. Also I like to observe peoples favourites at the end of a year as recommendations.

+
The worst thing that can happen (and has happened to me) is to go through the options for a long time (like at least an hour), and then come to the conclusion that you have nothing you want to watch and do something else instead.
This to me is hilarious. I have the complete opposite experience. I look at my massive list of movies that I want to watch, and struggle to pick one. I haven't experienced a neglect of wanting to watch a movie in fifteen years. I only experience the overwhelming force of movies I desperately want to watch, but don't have enough time to watch all of.