Animated movie with a big metal dinosaurs hurling fireballs

Tools    

For years I'm searching for a movie that I've seen many times as a kid in 1990s, but I can't find anything anywhere. All I know about the movie is this:

- It was (probably) from the 1980s or 1990s.
- It was an animated movie (probably for kids).
- It was probably a feature length movie (but for a kid even 30 minutes could seem like a feature length, so I'm not totally sure about this).
- The animation style reminded something like Interstella 5555 or other japanese anime.
- The movie was set in a sci-fi themed present day / near future (I'm absolutely sure that it wasn't set in the past since there was technology like TV or a big ships).
- The plot was about a big metal mechanical godzilla-like monsters that came from beneath the earth (I remember that they were coming out of some volcano and that they were under water swimming somewhere).
- The monsters were hurling fireballs from their mouths at people.
- I remember a scene where one of these monsters was destroyed (smashed open) and it was full of these fireballs inside.
- I remember there being a smaller space/air ship that was shaped like a snail and a scene where it was flying above some mountains or cliffs or something like that. The ship was piloted just by one or two people if I remember correctly.
- I remember there being a very big metal sea ship that had very long tubular shape with a ball on one end that was able to rotate 90 degrees (from horizontal to vertical position) and that there was a scene where the ship rotated like this. (If I remember correctly the ship looked similar to Discover One from 2001: Space Oddyssey even though this was a sea ship.)
- I remember a scene where the monsters (probably) first came out to the surface. There were people gathered around a volcano and there were even some TV news reporters. Then the monsters came out of that volcano and attacked the people.

That's it. That's probably everything I remember about the movie. Some of it might be innacurate or even wrong, since I remember it very vaguely.

If you think that you recognize something more from the points I've written then please post it here. I will appreciate any ideas. Anything could be the right answer since I can't be 100% sure about all that I rememeber from the movie.

Thank you.

I am thinking of Heavy Metal, although that certainly was not for kids lol
It's been awhile, so I'm not sure about the fireballs, either...

Heavy Metal is a movie that came out frequently in my many searches for this movie, but unfortunately, that's not it. As I remember this was something much simpler and probably made for TV and I'm pretty sure it was a kids movie The graphics/animation of this movie were also simpler and more vibrant and probably made with a lower budget since it was a TV movie. But thank you for your reply anyway, any wild guess could be right.

Thank you, I've checked Dino-Riders on youtube, but unfortunately, that's not it. But there was a "Voltron Defender of The Universe" in the related videos so I've checked that too and its art style really reminded me the movie I'm looking for. So I've searched through all of the Toei Animation TV series and movies on Wikipedia but didn't find it. I tried to google for pictures but didn't find anything either.

Since the others aren't the answer, I'l put forth The Herculoids. It had a triceratops/rhinoceros-type creature that shot fireballs out of its horn. There was also a flying dragon that shot lasers out of its eyes and tail. Other creatures included a big ape-like creature and two amorphous things - Gleep and Gloop. The had a human family - mom/dad/son - who fought different space creatures in each episode.

Thank you for your suggestion, but I'm sorry, that isn't it either. I'm pretty sure that there weren't any other big monsters/creatures (at least not as a main antagonists) besides the main big robotic dinosaurs which all looked the same (I recall them as being similar to mechagodzilla, which really fits to the japanese animation style that I remeber it had). And maybe there was only one mechagodzilla-like creature, I'm not 100% sure that there were more of them (I remember there being more of them but I can't be sure since I was a kid and it was about 25 years ago). But I'm quite sure that there weren't any real live dinosaurs in the movie and I'm also sure that the movie was set in a sci-fi present day / near future since there were TV cameras, a big sea ship and also a flying/space ship shaped like a big snail shell.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Long shot, but maybe Dinozaurs? I think this is too new, but there's a volcano in the title sequence.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

Thank you, I've checked it on youtube, but that's not it either. I'm 100% sure that it was a 2D animation only and also that it's older than 2000. I'm also sure that the main monsters (or one monster) were mechanical, made of metal (something like mechagodzilla) and they didn't talk or otherwise behave like humans, they behaved just like a big aggresive animals.

Thank you, I've checked the movie, but that's definitely not it. I'm absolutely sure that the movie wasn't about real living dinosaurs and also that it was set in a sci-fi present/near future. I should probably change the topic title because the word "dinosaur" might be misleading.

Thank you, that looks really promising (the 2D animation and robots) but it's too modern. It even uses 3D animation in some scenes which I'm 100% sure wasn't used in the movie I'm looking for and also it was definitely older than 2000. But thank you anyway, any guess might be the right one.

This is a tough one. I've exhausted my knowledge of possibilities but I still catch myself drifting off trying to remember anything more from when I was a kid. I need to know this now too!

freedom~empathy~peace
....Could it possibly be an episode of the old Godzilla show.....
There is also a Godzilla animated series that started in 1998. Somebody on youtube has put together a music video that features footage from that series. Check it out:

Thank you very much for your suggestions!

ynwtf:
I totally agree, it's really hard since I don't remember much about it. I tried more than once in the last 5 years or so to look for it but didn't find anything, not even a clue.

Takoma11:
- I've found the mentioned episode on Dailymotion (titled "Godzilla ( 1978 ) E24 - Pacific Peril") but that's not it. The most visible difference is that in this show (or at least in this specific episode) there are live dinosaurs/creatures but I don't remember any big living creatures like this being in the movie I'm looking for. There was (or were) only the main mechanical godzilla-like creture which was hurling fireballs (which looked like metallic balls with holes in them through which flames were leaking out (or at least that's how I remember it, maybe it's not 100% correct)). Also I remember a scene where one of the monsters (or the only one) was destroyed and these metallic fireballs poured out of the open (damaged) body of the creature (which showed that the fireballs were stored inside like an ammo or something).
- I've checked the episode of Transformers on youtube but I'm afraid that it's not it either. Again the most visible difference being that there are live dinosaurs which I'm quite sure weren't in the movie I'm looking for. Also I'm quite sure that there weren't Transformers in the movie, the main protagonists were humans which had near future sci-fi like tech (ships for example) but no artifical intelligence robots or aliens or anything like that.

scallywag:
I've watched the compilation video but there is the same thing as in the other suggestions - there are big live monsters (godzilla and others) which weren't in the movie I'm looking for. Only big monster I remember was the big mechagodzilla-like creature (or more of these creatures, I'm not sure if there was only one or more of them, but if more they all looked the same).

This movie looks to be really hard to find and I really appreciate all your effort to help me. Thank you all.

In the Transformers animated series they have giant metal dinosaurs, but several things you mention remember me of Mazinger Z

Thank you, I've checked some Mazinger Z episodes from 1970s on youtube and the animation style really reminds me the movie I'm looking for but some other aspects don't fit. For example as I can see one of the main elements are these giant fighting robots which I don't recall being the case in the aforementioned movie. Also I didn't find an episode which would fit with the theme and plot I remember. But since there are so many episodes I can't be sure. If you know this show better, do you recall any particular episode that could be it?
Thanks.

Thank you, I've checked some Mazinger Z episodes from 1970s on youtube and the animation style really reminds me the movie I'm looking for but some other aspects don't fit. For example as I can see one of the main elements are these giant fighting robots which I don't recall being the case in the aforementioned movie. Also I didn't find an episode which would fit with the theme and plot I remember. But since there are so many episodes I can't be sure. If you know this show better, do you recall any particular episode that could be it?
Thanks.

Take a look through Gurren Lagen. Ep 8 deals with a volcano. And also try one of the Evangelion series.