Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

11:14
8/10
A really enjoyable and underrated movie with a great cast. It centers around an accident which occurs at 11:14pm and is told through different perspectives of those either directly or indirectly involved. It was such a fun movie and i loved the ending, it brought everything together

Sunset Boulevard (1950, Billy Wilder)

Brilliantly written - and Gloria Swanson is just magnetizing. This film encapsulates everything that was great in the classic Hollywood era.

Snooze factor = Zzz

[Snooze Factor Ratings]:
Z = didn't nod off at all
Zz = nearly nodded off but managed to stay alert
Zzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed
Zzzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed but nodded off again at the same point and therefore needed to go back a number of times before I got through it...
Zzzzz = nodded off and missed some or the rest of the film but was not interested enough to go back over it

Julius Caesar (1953)

Adaptation of Shakespeare's play so the script is obviously brilliant, albeit a bit of an acquired taste. Lots of legendary speeches and quotable lines; plenty for this great cast to get their teeth into. James Mason and Marlon Brando are particularly impressive. The highlight has to be Caesar's death and the two speeches that followed from Brutus and Mark Anthony; glorious, absorbing old-school Hollywood.

4/5 Stars

Journey Into Fear (1943)

This picture, with its intricate plot and star actors, unfortunately was compressed into a mere 68 minutes. Its complexity, along with several notable scenes and innovative filming would have benefited from more time for plot development, at least another 20 minutes.

It’s an interesting spy film set chiefly in Istanbul and the Black Sea, co-written by Orson Welles and Joseph Cotton, who also play the lead roles. Joining them are the highly popular Dolores Del Rio, and several actors from Welles’ Mercury Theater, including Everett Sloane, Agnes Moorehead, and Ruth Warrick.

Welles was slated to direct in 1941 following the success of Citizen Kane. But he had followed “Kane” with work on The Magnificent Ambersons, which he was just finishing up at the commencement of filming of “Journey”. Welles was on a limited schedule before he headed for South America to continuing work on the never completed, It’s All True.

Consequently Welles gave up direction of the picture in favor of his colleague Norman Foster. Welles was subsequently fired by RKO during post production, so he had no input in the editing. Presumably the picture would have been more elaborate and roomy had Welles been part of the finish of the film. All the material was there. It just needed Welles' direction.

Still, it’s an enjoyable movie, and it features several memorable sequences which were widely copied by subsequent filmmakers.

Doc's rating: 6/10

p { margin-bottom: 0.1in; direction: ltr; line-height: 115%; text-align: left; orphans: 2; widows:

Sunset Boulevard (1950, Billy Wilder)

Brilliantly written - and Gloria Swanson is just magnetizing. This film encapsulates everything that was great in the classic Hollywood era.
I agree with you. It's one of the great films. Period. Swanson stole the show, but William Holden was dynamite in one of his first big roles. And of course Billy Wilder's direction was phenomenal. But you know, every time I watch the picture it still has the same ending...

~Doc

Häjyt (1978)
There's no official English title but it refers to groups of 19th-century troublemakers and criminals in certain parts of Finland who traditionally carried (and used) knives. Wiki kind of suggests the word Knife-Fighters.

Another Finnish TV production from the seventies. It's a two-part mini-series but I'm posting it to movie thread. It tells the tale of the two famous 19th-century criminals and the lawman trying to stop their reign. As a story, it's the same old but the setting (old rural Finland), and some of the ways the things progress make it quite different.

The first half is pretty good; all the main characters (and actors) are good and it builds the conflict well. The latter half tries to cram too much stuff in it and it jumps all over. They probably had a quite limited budget to work with, but I think the story would have needed more than 2 hours to tell properly. Still, for some reason, I seem to enjoy these older Finnish films more than the modern ones (which I tend to hate).

1st part 3.5, 2nd part 2.5

Snooze factor = Z

[Snooze Factor Ratings]:
Z = didn't nod off at all
Zz = nearly nodded off but managed to stay alert
Zzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed
Zzzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed but nodded off again at the same point and therefore needed to go back a number of times before I got through it...
Zzzzz = nodded off and missed some or the rest of the film but was not interested enough to go back over it

MYSTIFY MICHAEL HUTCHENCE
(2020)

Dark and captivating documentary on the tragic downfall of troubled INXS lead singer and rock legend Michael Hutchence
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

Silent Rage

One of my guilty pleasures. I have a soft spot for love stories/slashers about ass kicking Texas sheriff's hunting down a bad dude who hacked up two folks up with an axe only to be shot dead, brought back to life and made indestructible by overly ambitious Dr.'s who were more concerned with if they could that they never stopped to think if they should. Well, one Dr. thought they should NOT aaaaand he was kinda right. Regenerated dude quietly goes on a little rampage. There's a minor side story about a biker gang causing havoc in town which is really only included to showcase Chuck's talents at wiping out an entire bar of bikers single handedly/footly, whatever. It's pointless, stupid and fun. Co-stars Stephen Furst, aka Flounder, as Chuck's bumbling sidekick who delivers some pretty amusing lines ("They were the biggest things I ever saw. I might just go back in there and ask her to marry me"). Oh yeah, the love story...Chuck hooks up with his ex GF, who happens to be the sister of Dr. No and their relationship appears to be mostly physical until the sappy music montage kicks in, which leads you to think that there may be something there that wasn't there before.

for being dumb fun

MYSTIFY MICHAEL HUTCHENCE
(2020)

Dark and captivating documentary on the tragic downfall of troubled INXS lead singer and rock legend Michael Hutchence
Never heard of this, but Prime has it for streaming so it’s now in my watchlist.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

This Joint Is Jumpin' - Jazz Musician Fats Waller (Mike Wallington, 2008)
6.5/10
Sex Kittens Go to College (Albert Zugsmith, 1960)
4/10
The Wandering Soap Opera (Raoul Ruiz & Valeria Sarmiento, 2017)
6/10
End of Sentence (Elfar Adalsteins, 2019)
- 6.5/10

Father John Hawkes and son Logan Lerman work out their issues while taking their wife's/mom's ashes to Ireland.
I Am Evidence (Trish Adlesic & Geeta Gandbhir, 2017)
+ 6.5/10
Born Reckless (Howard W. Koch, 1958)
5/10
Limited Partnership (Thomas G. Miller, 2014)
+ 6.5/10
My Lucky Stars (Sammo Hung, 1985)
6/10

Jackie Chan does more damage than he expected.
On the Record (Kirby Dick &,Amy Ziering, 2020)
6.5/10
Disappearance at Clifton Hill (Albert Shin, 2019)
5.5/10
Not Wanted (Elmer Clifton [& Ida Lupino], 1949)
5/10
Two Trains Runnin' (Samuel D. Pollard, 2016)
+ 6.5/10

The search for long-lost blues musicians and recently-missing civil rights workers intersect in 1964 Mississippi.
Olla (Ariane Labed, 2019)
5.5/10
The Healer (Paco Arango, 2017)
- 6.5/10
Debt Collectors (Jesse V. Johnsoni, 2020)
6/10
Tarnation (Jonathan Caouette, 2003)
6.5/10

Highly-creative story of the director's life and family.
Ne Zha (Jiaoz, 2019)
+ 6/10
Turnover (Linda Palmer, 2019)
- 6.5/10
Yesterday (Radoslaw Piwowarski, 1985)
+ 6/10
Parting Glances (Bill Sherwood, 1986)
6.5./10

Steve Buscemi, who's dying of AIDS, is comforted by best friend Richard Ganoung.

The Evil That Men Do (1984)

Nasty little thriller where Charles Bronson is on the vengeance trail (when is he not in the 80s?). This time he is a former assassin tasked with bringing to justice a Doctor Moloch who has been using his torture skills for the highest bidder.

It's exploitative and hard to watch at times but has a decent underlying point and interesting characters (Molochs sister for instance). Not great but not awful.

Silence Of The Lambs - 1991

Movie was on AMC last night. I've seen the movie before but not in a really long ass time and mostly just bits and pieces. I'm not sure if I'd ever watched the whole thing with a more mature movie perspective then I have now. I'd seen the end with Jodie Foster many times though.

Take aways:
-Anthony Hopkins is way too good at this role. Iconic turn.
-Jodie Foster was great as well, both deserved their Oscar
-A clinic in horror. Doesn't have to be gory cheap jump scares. Just need tension.
-The end scene in Bill's house is so damn good.
-Might crack my top 100 if I revisit it down the road. Close if not.
-I just think of Joe Dirt when Bill is telling her to put the lotion on . "Dang man, say it don't spray it!"

101 Favorite Movies (2019)

Silence Of The Lambs - 1991

Movie was on AMC last night. I've seen the movie before but not in a really long ass time and mostly just bits and pieces. I'm not sure if I'd ever watched the whole thing with a more mature movie perspective then I have now. I'd seen the end with Jodie Foster many times though.

Take aways:
-Anthony Hopkins is way too good at this role. Iconic turn.
-Jodie Foster was great as well, both deserved their Oscar
-A clinic in horror. Doesn't have to be gory cheap jump scares. Just need tension.
-The end scene in Bill's house is so damn good.
-Might crack my top 100 if I revisit it down the road. Close if not.
-I just think of Joe Dirt when Bill is telling her to put the lotion on . "Dang man, say it don't spray it!"

Iconic film. Superb. Definitely in my top 100.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Marnie - 7/10
Not the best paced for a Hitchcock movie. In the first half, I kept saying to myself, "On with it!", but I was still intrigued, especially with the theme, considering it's bizarre for any time period.