Ozark

Tools    

Just finished season 3. It's binge worthy, took us about three days to watch S.3. Right now, I think I'd put this in the second tier of great tv shows alongside shows like Damages and Oz. It's not BB, Sopranos or The Wire good but it's very good. If it doesn't slip up (ala GoT) it could move into the top tier with a great final season or 2 (not up to date on how long they plan on running this). What keeps it from being top tier so far is the secondary characters are a little lacking in the oomph department, which is where the top tier shows excelled. I am getting tired of Ruth. The more *bleeping* Ruth is on screen with her Gizmo frown the more *bleeping* annoying she *bleeping* gets. *BLEEP!* I do like Darlene and her "Just Do It" attitude. Such a wild card and her idea of justice for young mob punks types is a-ok. Ben was starting to grate on me so I liked how they cleaned up his character a bit so that he's not so bleh. Loved the final scene of season 3 if for nothing else the reaction it gave my GF - "HOLY *BLEEP!* omg...whoa..."

We just finished season 3 and loved every minute of it. It's highs don't quite reach the highs of a Breaking Bad, but every episode is must watch TV and that's rare. I've always liked Bateman, but I think from now on whenever I see him, I will see Marty. I'm also starting to Like Darlene, such an unapologetic badass.

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
OMG rename it the Darlene fanclub thread alteady.

I really disliked her through 1 & 2. Just crazy to hear all this praise

I really disliked her through 1 & 2. Just crazy to hear all this praise
As Julia Garner in the show says “Darlene is bat**** crazy”, but I like her too.

Anyone know when season 4 is being released?
No time soon. Who knows if it even made it to production before things closed down.

I like her as a character. As a person she's awful. But she's a great wildcard and the performance is exceptional. Or, at least, the casting is. My wife and I can't tell if she's just perfectly cast or if the actress is that good. She's got a look and an edge to her that makes the craziness seem real. Total "wild animal, could do anything" vibe.

Wild animal nails it. I needed Jacob's calmness to even her out, only guessing what season 3 looks like.

I'm a little apprehensive about the situation at the end of Season 3 regarding Darlene, Wyatt, and Ruth. I'm especially nervous about what will happen to Ruth. The show has a habit of setting up situations where something very exciting that I'm looking forward to is about to happen, and then having something disastrous happen to create more tension and a difficult scenario for the characters to sort out.

I'm a little apprehensive about the situation at the end of Season 3 regarding Darlene, Wyatt, and Ruth.
I’m much more concerned about Wendy & Marty now they’ve seen what happened to the attorney. Personally, I would be terrified if I were them.

@Stirchley but they're the main characters. You know, no matter what happens to them it's going to be awesome and they're going to come out on top. But I feel like something terrible could happen to Ruth.

Bateman did the latest episode of the Bill Simmons pod, talking about Ozark s3. Haven’t listened yet, but I’m sure it’s worth a hear.

P.E.

Never mind. Very little Ozark talk.

@Stirchley but they're the main characters. You know, no matter what happens to them it's going to be awesome and they're going to come out on top. But I feel like something terrible could happen to Ruth.
Being the “main character” has never saved anyone in a tv series. Look at Homeland. They killed off Damien Lewis very early on who was Claire Danes’s love interest & who had a very interesting & exciting arc. Didn’t save him though.

In the wonderful Italian series Gomorrah one of the very best characters - Immortale - was killed off after a season or two. This was too shocking for words.

Being the “main character” has never saved anyone in a tv series. Look at Homeland. They killed off Damien Lewis very early on who was Claire Danes’s love interest & who had a very interesting & exciting arc. Didn’t save him though.

In the wonderful Italian series Gomorrah one of the very best characters - Immortale - was killed off after a season or two. This was too shocking for words.
A few examples of being the main character not saving them doesn't substantiate, "Being the 'main character' has never saved anyone in a tv series." Plot armor is a common trope.

You don't know what plot armor is? Plot armor is when the main character's life is safeguarded by the fact that they can't be removed from the story.

⬆️ Never heard that expression. His “armor” sure didn’t help Tony Soprano.
You totally lost me. I haven't watched the Sopranos if that's a reference.

Plot armor doesn't protect a character from dying as the series ends, just before that point. Many shows could not effectively continue if you removed the main character, and if the audience knows that, they know the character is not in real danger. Smarter shows, therefore, don't even try to pretend the main character might die.