Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Female Prisoner #701; Scorpion (1972)

As a fan of exploitation movies, the women in prison sub genre should be especially appealing to me. Unfortunately just about all of them that I've seen prior to this have sucked. It seems that the more exploitive the movie, the lesser the quality. It's hard to find the right balance and this movie found it. It's very cool and a lot of fun. Anybody see the sequels?

Anybody see the sequels?
I've seen the whole trilogy. I think the first is the best, but they're all about the same quality and entertainment level.

Them!

4/5

I thoroughly enjoyed this picture, much more than my first time through with it. It has a great flow and rhythm to the narrative and the beginning sequence really pulls the viewer in. I will however say that much of it's drawback with me remains in the repetition plot and over-pseudoscience that seemed to drag from time to time, but that's my only complaint really. Otherwise great creature-feature of the Atomic Age.
Imagine an eye unruled by man-made laws of perspective, an eye unprejudiced by compositional logic, an eye which does not respond to the name of everything but which must know each object encountered in life through an adventure of perception. How many colors are there in a field of grass to the crawling baby unaware of 'Green'?

-Stan Brakhage

Escape From Alcatraz - 1979

Movie was on tv the other day and got sucked into it. Clint is the man so I figured I'd sit and watch it. Funny when you see actors you know from other movies in older movies ha. Kevin's old neighbor from Home Alone is Doc in this flick. Mechanic from Breaking Bad is Butts ha. They look a lot younger but its fun little nuggets lol.

I know the actual breakout was in 1962 so it was almost two decades prior. Get major Shawshank vibes from this movie, which being my favorite major was sort of fun. I could see King and Darabont taking inspiration from it, specially Darabont. It's a neat little prison escape movie. Eastwood is great. It's a solid little flick about the real events. Nothing spectacular nothing bad. Worth a gander.

101 Favorite Movies (2019)

The Art of Self Defense (2019)

Jesse Eisenberg starred as Casey, an awkward 35-year-old accountant who enrolled in a Karate dojo after being assaulted. Tired of being afraid, he was taken in by the instructor's charisma and found himself getting more deeply involved in a world of intense masculinity. Imogen Poots played Anna, a woman somewhat out of place in this world, though a strong member of the dojo. The awkwardness was very well handled, and mixed with the excitement of intense and awesome scenes of violence. It made for a weird but exciting experience that verged on comedic while maintaining a seriousness. Alessandro Nivola played the sensei. I did't recognize the name, but his face looked oddly familiar. After looking him up I realised he was the male lead in One Percent More Humid, and has been in a number of other movies I've seen. He did a terrific job as a cool macho narcissist. Even though he was a jerk I still felt like I wanted to impress him and earn his approval. Imogen Poots was terrific. I knew I recognized her, but couldn't place it until I looked up the cast afterwards. She did a great job playing a totally different character from anything I've seen her in before. I won't spoil the ending, but it blew me away. I could not have asked for a better ending. It was terrific. I dare say, brilliant.

Are you gonna bark all day, little doggy?
Hereditary: 8/10

I was disappointed by Midsommar so I did not have high hopes for Hereditary—but it proved to be a delightful slow burn. I found it similar to The Exorcist in that the supernatural and "scary" elements came in second to the brilliant portrayals of a conflicted household and a mother in pain.

City Of Tiny Lights (Pete Travis, 2016)

Not many flickers of life in an uninspired, predictable tale that has absolutely no sense of Dredd

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

Premature (Rashaad Ernesto Green, 2019)
5/10
Hannah Gadsby: Douglas (Madeleine Parry, 2020)
6.5/10
Honeytrap (Rebecca Johnson, 2014)
5/10
Funny Girl (William Wyler, 1968)
6.5/10

Fanny Brice's (Barbra Streisand's) joke is on Flo Ziegfeld (Walter Pidgeon).
Lady Sings the Blues (Sidney J. Furie, 1972)
6/10
Two Ships (Justine Triet, 2012)
5/10
Good Kisser (Wendy Jo Carlton, 2019)
6/10
The Comancheros (Michael Curtiz, 1961)
6.5/10

John Wayne kinda feels sorry for taking Stuart Whitman to be hanged.
Jules of Light and Dark (Daniel Laabs, 2018)
5/10
McLintock! (Andrew V. McLaglen, 1963)
6/10
The Roads Not Taken (Sally Potter, 2020)
.5/10
Around the World When You Were My Age (Aya Koretzky, 2018)
6.5/10

Affecting emotionally and creatively original.
Celine and Julie Go Boating (Jacques Rivette, 1974)
5/10
Women He's Undressed (Gillian Armstrong, 2015)
6.5/10
Miss Fisher and the Crypt of Tears (Tony Tilse, 2020)
6/10
The High Note (Nisha Ganatra, 2020)
+ 5/10

Personal assistant Dakota Johnson loves her superstar singer boss Tracee Ellis Ross even if she can be a handful.
No One Knows About Persian Cats (Bahman Ghobadi, 2009)
6/10
Coven of Evil (Matthew J. Lawrence, 2018)
+ 4.5/10
Welcome to Pine Hill (Keith Miller, 2012)
5/10
The Vast of Night (Andrew Patterson, 2019)
+ 6.5/10

Simultaneously intense and low-key '50s sci-fi throwback.

Age Out (2018)

The tears are still burning my cheeks all the way down to my chin. This movie was gritty, realistic, and heartbreaking. The music stood out as exceptional, really capturing the mood of the chaos that was going on. At times the cinematography was pristine, and at other times it seemed like a low budget movie that couldn't afford a tripod. The handheld shots added to the gritty realism, enhancing the overall realism of the movie. Tye Sheridan played the lead, Richie, an orphan who grew up in foster care. At 18 he wanted to start his life, working to pay his bills and hold his own. Life was hard, but so was he, and he was getting by for the most part. Then he met Swim, a delinquent played by Caleb Jones. Jones did a great job of portraying a drugged out petty criminal set on turning the world upside down. He dragged Richie down with him, but Richie struggled to keep his head above water despite all the chaos. Then Richie met Joan, played by Imogen Poots, and everything changed. She was a little older, and somewhat damaged, but so was he. They were a perfect pair. They hit it off right away, and things were looking up. But fate wasn't quite on their side. Richie was a strong silent type, and he struggled to navigate life's land mines while pursing love with someone who really understood him. This was a movie about life. This was the perfect movie for me. It's the kind of movie I love; it really hits my sweet spot. It was realistic, gritty, it had violence and it had passion. It had love, and understanding, deep understanding about life and people. It was artistically shot, with an emphasis on realism. Tye Sheridan, Caleb Jones, and Imogen Poots all gave stellar performances. The directing was top notch, as attention was payed to detail, and all of the extras' acting was on point. The set design was flawless. The story crushed my heart. I loved it every step of the way. It ended with tears streaming down their faces and mine.

Invisible Man (2020)

Half star boost since my original watch, mainly because it held up so well. It's still a semi-stupid story about an invisible murderer, but the acting by Moss (and Jackson-Cohen pictured above who I want to see more of in movies) was incredible. Like I said though, don't think too hard on some of the plot points, like

WARNING: spoilers below
I still smirk a bit when I realize they didn't give much detail at all on Adrian's fake death at the beginning. How did this fool authorities so easily, or was it never reported to authorities somehow?...

The Homecoming (1973)

This adaptation of a Harold Pinter play was really well done. Melds the cinematic and theatre professionally. Absurd probably describes it justly. It's linear and unrelenting in its attacks on traditional male/female, family/emotional roles. Would put this on a par with "Music of chance"....which I rated highly too.

Love a picture like this on a sunny day!