Film Noir HoF III

Tools    

"Comparing Dicks" would be the perfect name for a HoF about gay detectives though.
Let's face it, Harry Angel and Louis Cyphre were totally in love

Murder, My Sweet(1944)

Well I liked this one better than Crossfire but I still didn't love it. I actually ended up watching it twice because the mystery was just so muddled for me. It is interesting about both of Dmytryk films cover cuckolding as a plot point...don't know what that says about the film maker.

I enjoyed the early parts of the film the set pieces early on are very good though I didn't care for the "drugged" fx they used in the mental hospital. I don't think Dmytryk shoots films in a particularly engaging fashion. Also I feel like Dick Powell was a pretty good Marlowe he kind of made the character his own or his was more distinctive compared to Bogarts.

LA Confidential (1997)
... The other thing I enjoy about the story is that we don't get minority victims or white washed LA. African American's and Latinos exist in this america and they portrayed as victims..something modern noirs could take a lesson from.
Excellent point. Portraying Latinos and blacks as victims has long passed its "use by" date.

First ahwell was on a roll in the 22nd, and now Siddon's following suit here! Did you binge watch the movies close together, or had you been sitting on the reviews for awhile?

Everything I watched in this hall is a second watch but a number of them were close together quality wise so when I did my re-watches I tried to bundle them together.

Asphalt Jungle - 4/8
Le Corbeau - 4/13
The Stranger - 4/13
The Big Heat - 4/16
Crossfire - 4/18

Double Indemnity - 2 weeks ago
The Third Man - 2 weeks ago

LA Confidential - Tuesday
Murder, My Sweet - Tuesday
Angel Heart - Wednesday
Spellbound - Thursday
Murder, My Sweet - Thursday

Another Noir HOF, nice! Poor Third Man has to go against Double Indemnity. Love LA Confidential as well.
Yeah, two of the greats-- and somewhat of a "pick em". I made my choice based upon a few qualities, which I'll refrain from discussing until the final ranking list is posted.

The trick is not minding
Rewatching Inglorious Basterds for the 22nd HOF and what do I see on on Shosanna’s cinema? Le Corbeau.
Which got me even more curious to watch it next.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

Crossfire

Ginny: I don't like cops.
Finlay: Nobody likes cops.

While the hate motive has been changed from the book, from a homosexual to Jewish man, you can still see the original scenario should you find yourself looking for it. And for me, it belongs to this story far more, as it plays out. The characters, their actions and how they interact with one another. It is more cohesive. Without it, I see the incorrect fitting of a "replacement" hatred that causes me to pause and wonder what exactly is going on and why it doesn't seem to fit together.

But that is a minor critique and easily rectified by a simple mindset of what it should be as opposed to what the Studio/Hays Code insisted upon.
Making for, what this truly is, a d@mn good story that delves into what people felt and think as opposed to a basic mystery whodunit. Bringing an added depth to -- well, everyone. Many of which are world weary of the hardships they've endured; creating, not so much a callousness, but a preference to be left out of more hardship. The hatred that led to the murder, shaking loose the tired, indifferent fog of those involved in the investigation. Reviving and giving people purpose. You see it most in Robert Young's Finlay. His indifference to yet another senseless death becomes a determined focus as he sets his sights on who is guilty and ensuring they have him dead to rights.

I would also like to comment on Robert Ryan and my new, improved outlook on him as an actor. From what I've read, this role set him up to play similar personas in his career and, for me, he really put a lot into this role and the "masks" that fall to the wayside as they close in on him. He was incredible in this and while I've appreciated other works of his, like The Wild Bunch, this film as kicked it up a few notches.

Rewatching Inglorious Basterds for the 22nd HOF and what do I see on on Shosanna’s cinema? Le Corbeau.
I got a kick out of that myself when I saw it.

I saw that too!! it was a nice new surprise for a movie i thought i already knew by heart.

The Stranger

[after Meineke's body is dug up]
Mr. Potter: I knew darn well it was the same feller. 'Course, he's changed some. Uh, being buried in the earth does it.

For an actor who is best known for iconic portrayals of gangsters, Edward G Robinson plays one helluva a detective. Patient, clever, determined and willing to take risks if the outcome is worth it. Such as his opening gambit to let Meinike escape in hopes of him bringing him to the greater prize.
The trailing of Meinike and Wilson's arrival in town was very well done from an investigative aspect and I found myself watching the strategically placed pitfalls by Wilson for Welles' Prof Rankin aka Franz Kindler.
I would have loved to had seen the edited scenes that delved more into that. Scenes that Welles was infuriated by when the studio cleared the Editor to have the freedom of removing anything he felt wasn't necessary. Resulting in about 30 minutes removed, 19 of which involved the opening trailing of Meineke as well as the original meeting of Loretta Young's Mary and Welles' character.
Makes you wonder if it was for the better or for worse.

Regardless, my initial watching of this, a few years back, was actually lukewarm for reasons I cannot remember. This time around, I enjoyed the dogged pursuit, the cold calculations of Rankin that would give way to the panicked suspicions, along with the blind love and the tragic realizations for Mary about the man she thought she truly loved and the lie of it.

I just rewatched Angel Heart so I'm finished with the films. I'll have to re-read my old review but most likely I'll just copy it here and add some additional observations from this viewing. Then there's the ballot which is going to be quite hard this time.

Official Update

Crossfire
...I heard back from Frightened Inmate and he says that he's watched 3 more noms and will finish.

Double Indemnity... I heard back from John-Connor and he said he will try to finish. So you might want to save Double Indemnity for last.

I'll post again with an update on the status.

Official Update

Crossfire
...I heard back from Frightened Inmate and he says that he's watched 3 more noms and will finish.

Double Indemnity... I heard back from John-Connor and he said he will try to finish. So you might want to save Double Indemnity for last.

I'll post again with an update on the status.
Frightened and John are like me, we're end of the party folks, so I'm pretty sure they'll make it. It'll be down to the wire, as is our norm, but they'll make it.

I'm going to try to post my review of The Big Heat some time today and I've got Le Corbeau ready to go, (found a great copy in French with English subtitles YAY) leaving me with Spellbound to finish up with.