Films You Hate, But Everyone Else Loves

Tools    

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
Gladiator

I don't know if I would say I hate it but I find the plot to be completely predictable and not interesting much at all, and I'm just not seeing all the hype.

My only problem with Avatar was that it was such a blatant sci-fi version of Disney's Pocahontas (1995) - (which itself was entirely historically inaccurate)!

Other than that I liked the colors!

I always like to compare Goodfellas to The God Father... Goodfellas (despite the subject matter) just seemed fun... maybe that was due to the first person narrative? The cast? The soundtrack? Whereas The God Father was just so dead serious.

A somewhat underrated mob movie is Roger Corman's The St. Valentine's Day Massacre (1967) starring Jason Robards as Al Capone - with stars in early roles such as Bruce Dern and Jack Nicholson, it's worth seeing just for the cast.

I always like to compare Goodfellas to The God Father... Goodfellas (despite the subject matter) just seemed fun... maybe that was due to the first person narrative? The cast? The soundtrack? Whereas The God Father was just so dead serious.

A somewhat underrated mob movie is Roger Corman's The St. Valentine's Day Massacre (1967) starring Jason Robards as Al Capone - with stars in early roles such as Bruce Dern and Jack Nicholson, it's worth seeing just for the cast.
I liked Corman's The St. Valentine's Day Massacre for him that was probably a big budget film.

Marvel universe movies, superhero movies in general.
Thank you. Every time I say I like films some one replies, "Oh like the X-mens's or the Star Wars's"... gets annoying after awhile...
Imagine an eye unruled by man-made laws of perspective, an eye unprejudiced by compositional logic, an eye which does not respond to the name of everything but which must know each object encountered in life through an adventure of perception. How many colors are there in a field of grass to the crawling baby unaware of 'Green'?

-Stan Brakhage

Twilight

Hate might be too strong a term, but films that I disliked that everyone seemed to love:

Fight Club
It (2017)
Thor Ragnarok
Little Women (2019)
The Godfather

Marvel universe movies, superhero movies in general.
While I'm mostly okay with superhero films (as in, I find them watchable if not all that memorable), there's a stand-up comedian who described them as "happy meal toys punching each other on a giant rock". She got a lot of nasty comments, but even as someone who generally enjoys those films it made me laugh.

Too many superhero films these days are way too long. The action scenes themselves are overloaded with CGI setpieces and none of it feels like it has any weight to it. I read an interesting little thing (and you can hear the same story in interviews on YouTube) about the sequence in Civil War where Captain America is trying to pull down the helicopter. You can actually see the physical strain on Chris Evans as he does the stunt and it tremendously increases the film's sense of reality in that moment. Here is a hero and we see both his power and his limitations. I think that it's a shame that Civil War is so bloated, because the fractured friendship between Steve Rogers and Bucky Barnes is probably the most emotionally grounded thing in the whole Marvel universe.

I personally would only describe myself as hating a scant handful of films, and I'm not sure I've ever hated something that other people seem to love. I usually find myself on the opposite side of the argument where I really like something that other people don't.

One movie I haven't been able to finish is yet because I couldn't stand to get through it was Brazil. It's just way way too over the top for me.

You’re the disease, and I’m the cure.
Knocked Up:
I think Seth Rogen films are a mixed bag much of the time and I just didn’t really like this one. Too long for a comedy movie and many scenes which could’ve been cut.

One movie I haven't been able to finish is yet because I couldn't stand to get through it was Brazil. It's just way way too over the top for me.
I always held Brazil at some sort of genius level!
It borders on being an "art film" (or is it film art?)
It's a big ol' surrealist allegory or metaphor or something like that.

I always held Brazil at some sort of genius level!
It borders on being an "art film" (or is it film art?)
It's a big ol' surrealist allegory or metaphor or something like that.
The first time I watched it, I felt like it was lacking. But I think that a lot of the problem is that people who like it (out of good intentions) oversell the action and humor. Not that there isn't action or humor, but it's more subtle. The second time I watched it I really liked it and I was able to appreciate the dark comedy that powers it.

Had high hopes for this one as 12 Monkeys is pretty much my all time favorite. As you can probably put together I was quite disappointed with it. Now in retrospect after watching some other Gilliam movies I guess it's fair to say that my expectations were a bit unrealistic. I mean I enjoy some of his other stuff, but it's a mixed bag, and most of it is somewhat narrow and will not necessarily suit the same audience.

Now either you like all of his movies or you don't, I think there's little doubt that Gilliam knows what he's doing. By contrast, to this day I still struggle to accept how Quentin Tarantino could actually be responsible for something like Pulp Fiction. It's like the real director somehow disappeared and Tarantino falsly took credit for it. Or the manuscript was so perfect that even Tarantino could manage to not ruin it completely. It's one of my all time favorites and I can't stand any of his other movies, except maybe Reservoir Dogs, which I still also find overrated.

The first time I watched it, I felt like it was lacking. But I think that a lot of the problem is that people who like it (out of good intentions) oversell the action and humor. Not that there isn't action or humor, but it's more subtle. The second time I watched it I really liked it and I was able to appreciate the dark comedy that powers it.
It's definitely not a Monty Python comedy despite their single American contingent being the film's creator and a small role for Michael Palin.

It is indeed a dark comedy and satire in its purest sense. I liked the depiction of a timeless yet retro dystopian "future."

It's definitely not a Monty Python comedy despite their single American contingent being the film's creator and a small role for Michael Palin.

It is indeed a dark comedy and satire in its purest sense. I liked the depiction of a timeless yet retro dystopian "future."
I wasn't expecting Monty Python, but rather something more heavy on both the action and fantasy fronts.

I agree that the "retro dystopia" is really well done. And once I was able to re-calibrate my expectations, I was able to appreciate the fantasy sequences as character-building and not action driven.

The Wayne's World movies. I do not get why they are so great, and a lot of the gags just fall flat for me.