Hiya

Tools    

Been a movie fan for a while now since I was a kid. Grew up on Hollywood blockbusters and expanded my scope around the 2010s to more niched movies. Don't really have a definitive "favorite film" yet though but most of my favorites are still the mainstream kind, the Summer blockbusters of old. Haven't really liked that many movies in recent years though, but I did really enjoy The Invisible Man.

I'm also a fan of anime in case any one around the block shares the interest. Currently watching Legend of the Galactic Heroes, a renowned space opera known for being "politics in space."

That's about it from me for now. I'm not really that interesting, unfortunately.

The trick is not minding
Welcome! You’ll find a few people are anime fans as well. You should take a look at Guap and Zotis review page in fact. They keep a record of anime reviews that are pretty well written.

Welcome! You’ll find a few people are anime fans as well. You should take a look at Guap and Zotis review page in fact. They keep a record of anime reviews that are pretty well written.
Thanks. I'll give them a look.

Blockbusters? Space politics?? Anime??? You got MY interest

Welcome aboard!
Thanks.

Yeah, "Legend of the Galactic Heroes" has aristocrats in space musing about the banality of war, the fallibility of demagogues and whether if civilized dictatorship is better than corrupted democracy. It's that kind of show.

I've pretty much seen all the big-name anime titles out there by now, and not to toot my own horn, but I have about 400 anime under my belt. LotGH is probably one of the last big-names that I've yet to conquer, not counting shounen anime like Naruto, One Piece or Dragon Ball Z which I have no interest in.

Same with blockbusters, honestly. Terminator, Alien, Back to the Future, Die Hard, Bond movies, Independence Day; pretty much seen them all too.

I've almost hit a point where I've seen all the good stuff known to men, but I would very much like to think otherwise.

Welcome!

Cool nickname.. are you a fan of Mythology? Comics?
Thanks.

I am a bit of a fan towards Greek and Egyptian mythology, yes, but truth be told, I picked the name out of a whim, just a random moniker to go with an Internet identity really. I did have a lot more interest in such mythologies when I was younger though, picking up most of what I did through Age of Mythology, the RTS video game. There was also a short phase in my life when I would binge watch documentaries about ancient mythologies.

Thanks.

I am a bit of a fan towards Greek and Egyptian mythology, yes, but truth be told, I picked the name out of a whim, just a random moniker to go with an Internet identity really. I did have a lot more interest in such mythologies when I was younger though, picking up most of what I did through Age of Mythology, the RTS video game. There was also a short phase in my life when I would binge watch documentaries about ancient mythologies.
I'm a fan of Egyptian Mythology as well as a few other cultures. Osiris, Pharoah of the Pharaohs. This first ruler of Egypt. There is even a film about them finding his pyramid. Its a low budget but great. The Anubis in it is vicious.

There is an Osiris character in DC comics as well.

I'm a fan of Egyptian Mythology as well as a few other cultures. Osiris, Pharoah of the Pharaohs. This first ruler of Egypt. There is even a film about them finding his pyramid. Its a low budget but great. The Anubis in it is vicious.

There is an Osiris character in DC comics as well.
The Osiris I know from the aforementioned video game is a giant walking statue who could shoot thunder out of his staff. Pretty much why I thought of his badass persona when naming myself.

The Osiris I know from the aforementioned video game is a giant walking statue who could shoot thunder out of his staff. Pretty much why I thought of his badass persona when naming myself.
I'm not much of a video gamer unless we are talking old school stuff... the upright arcade machines.

Well, if you are into horror, I can definitely share the name of the movie I was talking about. I think you would enjoy it since you like mythology.

Well, if you are into horror, I can definitely share the name of the movie I was talking about. I think you would enjoy it since you like mythology.
I appreciate it, but low-budget horror films are not really my cup of tea, I'm afraid. I'm more into psychological horror films like Hereditary or Get Out.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Been a movie fan for a while now since I was a kid. Grew up on Hollywood blockbusters and expanded my scope around the 2010s to more niched movies. Don't really have a definitive "favorite film" yet though but most of my favorites are still the mainstream kind, the Summer blockbusters of old. Haven't really liked that many movies in recent years though, but I did really enjoy The Invisible Man.

I've almost hit a point where I've seen all the good stuff known to men, but I would very much like to think otherwise.
Have you tried watching any of the classic older movies, like the movies with stars like Cary Grant, James Stewart, Humphrey Bogart, etc.?

I appreciate it, but low-budget horror films are not really my cup of tea, I'm afraid. I'm more into psychological horror films like Hereditary or Get Out.
Did you see "Midsommer" by the same director? I really enjoyed that but I don't see those as horror exactly. I'm into a lot of pagan cultures and that's just one more to add.

Did you see "Midsommer" by the same director? I really enjoyed that but I don't see those as horror exactly. I'm into a lot of pagan cultures and that's just one more to add.
I did, but that was more of an allegorical film about breaking up with someone (according to director Ari Aster) than horror films that explore horrifying aspects of humanity, like Psycho or The Shining. It was quite a well-made film though, but I preferred Hereditary.

Have you tried watching any of the classic older movies, like the movies with stars like Cary Grant, James Stewart, Humphrey Bogart, etc.?
Actually, I haven't, but that's a good point. It's A Wonderful Life and Vertigo remain some of my favorite films of all time though, so Stewart's not far off on my list. I'll probably get around to classic older movies someday; I just have a bad habit of preferring newer and shinier movies. Thanks for the heads up.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Actually, I haven't, but that's a good point. It's A Wonderful Life and Vertigo remain some of my favorite films of all time though, so Stewart's not far off on my list. I'll probably get around to classic older movies someday; I just have a bad habit of preferring newer and shinier movies. Thanks for the heads up.

There's a "Lists" link at the top of the MoFo pages. If you click on that, you can see some of the lists that the members here have voted on to calculate the top movies in some decades and genres. We've done lists for every decade. You might want to look through those lists for suggestions about what classic movies to watch.

There's a "Lists" link at the top of the MoFo pages. If you click on that, you can see some of the lists that the members here have voted on to calculate the top movies in some decades and genres. We've done lists for every decade. You might want to look through those lists for suggestions about what classic movies to watch.
Thanks. That sounds incredibly useful. You even have lists for 100 best thrillers, neat. I love thrillers.