Movies that are just over hyped.

Tools    

Welcome to the human race...
The Birth of a Nation would probably be a good pick for an over-hyped film anyway.

All of Paul Thomas anderson movies. Even Coen brothers/Wes anderson movies I can understand the hype but PTA movies are just overrated.

Overrated movies tend to be from filmmakers who started out as indie darlings and grew into Hollywood...they tend to have a lifetime pass from a lot of critics as long as they stay in their weird little indie style.

Citizen Kane is probably a lesson for a lot of directors at the time for set design, cinematography and the likes. The movie had a slow, meandering plot. But the story is little bit more nuanced than that. It was a satire and it was done really nicely. I am not in awe of the movie, but I do like it a lot.

The Birth of a Nation would probably be a good pick for an over-hyped film anyway.
Yeah. It was probably "THE" benchmark. But I think it has lost its place due to changing times. I don't think anyone now considers it to be something amazing!

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
Pulp Fiction. Saw it later on. It's good but do not get why it's so great or one of the best.

A Clockword Orange. I really didn't think much of this movie and felt it really went downhill in the last half, but do not see what others saw in it.

Yeah. It was probably "THE" benchmark. But I think it has lost its place due to changing times. I don't think anyone now considers it to be something amazing!
In today's world, BOAN doesn't work well for a lot of reasons, the worst of which is its horrific racism, but what they did do was make a long movie rather than a one-reeler, have a large cast, large sets, dolly shots, action shots, horse back chases, multiple camera angles, editing, etc. I've seen it end to end, mainly so I could say that I've seen it and appreciate its technical advances, but yeah, it's a dose, even in 1915. Griffith, stung by criticism about a level of racism that was seen as extreme even at that apex of the Klan, set about a bigger project, Intolerance, which was supposed to put him back in good grace. I've seen some of that and it was grandiose beyond anything in its era. I have heard that the sets were sitting in a warehouse for decades and were re-used in a bunch ancient world epics.

You really should check it out sometime, you watch a lot of movies so if you don't like it, it will be just another movie you didn't care for. You liked The Assassination of Jesse James, Parasite & Ad Astra... which are a western, a foreign and a sci fi (stuff you normally don't like)...so who know you might end up liking Citizen Kane
Rules - you've been Orson to me for so long that when I see that photo of Dan Duryea, I keep thinking it's a photo of young Orson from some western I never heard of.
(Correct me if I'm wrong, but Orson never made a western, did he?)

I'm gonna put up Casablanca (1942) for this thread as I heard of it my whole life (as one of the greatest films ever) then watched it for the first and only time maybe 10 years ago - it wasn't bad, but it just didn't leave an impression on me (mostly because I was expecting something so much more spectacular). Maybe I'm due for a re-watch.

Rules - you've been Orson to me for so long that when I see that photo of Dan Duryea, I keep thinking it's a photo of young Orson from some western I never heard of.
Ha, nope he never made a western, but if he did it would've been one helluva film

I'm gonna put up Casablanca (1942) for this thread as I heard of it my whole life (as one of the greatest films ever) then watched it for the first and only time maybe 10 years ago - it wasn't bad, but it just didn't leave an impression on me (mostly because I was expecting something so much more spectacular). Maybe I'm due for a re-watch.
I actually had the same experience. The first time I seen Casablanca I thought to myself, 'that was it?' I liked it OK, but I guess I was expecting something else or something more. But now that I've seen it a couple more times I can see a lot of depth to the performances, especially Bogart's, and I hadn't seen that before. My review of Casablanca

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I'm starting to get used to it, probably just in time for it to be changed back to Orson again.

Ha, nope he never made a western, but if he did it would've been one helluva film
Actually, I found one western movie with Orson Welles that I watched for the countdown. Man in the Shadow (1957). He didn't direct it, but he was one of the stars. (Maybe if he had directed it, it would have been a better movie.

I'm starting to get used to it, probably just in time for it to be changed back to Orson again.
I'm not sure if I will ever change it back to Orson. I got the feeling people thought of me as the old Orson and that's not me! not at all. Though I don't look like Dan Duryea I can relate to him. In real life he was an all around nice guy, devoted family man and all that good stuff! But who knows I might have to go with Alex Baldwin next

Actually, I found one western movie with Orson Welles that I watched for the countdown. Man in the Shadow (1957). He didn't direct it, but he was one of the stars. (Maybe if he had directed it, it would have been a better movie.
I've not seen that one though I do want to watch Support Your Local Sheriff.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I'm not sure if I will ever change it back to Orson. I got the feeling people thought of me as the old Orson and that's not me! not at all. Though I don't look like Dan Duryea I can relate to him. In real life he was an all around nice guy, devoted family man and all that good stuff! But who knows I might have to go with Alex Baldwin next
Please don't change it to Alex Baldwin. I find him very annoying in almost everything he's in, (with 1 or 2 exceptions).

I've not seen that one though I do want to watch Support Your Local Sheriff.
Support Your Local Sheriff. is a much better movie. Don't waste your time with Man in the Shadow unless you just want to see it for Orson.

Welcome to the human race...
There is a user on here who lists it as his #1 movie.

There is a user on here who lists it as his #1 movie.
Wow! Is it??!!!! That is a surprise.

In today's world, BOAN doesn't work well for a lot of reasons, the worst of which is its horrific racism, but what they did do was make a long movie rather than a one-reeler, have a large cast, large sets, dolly shots, action shots, horse back chases, multiple camera angles, editing, etc. I've seen it end to end, mainly so I could say that I've seen it and appreciate its technical advances, but yeah, it's a dose, even in 1915. Griffith, stung by criticism about a level of racism that was seen as extreme even at that apex of the Klan, set about a bigger project, Intolerance, which was supposed to put him back in good grace. I've seen some of that and it was grandiose beyond anything in its era. I have heard that the sets were sitting in a warehouse for decades and were re-used in a bunch ancient world epics.
I watched it for the same reason. Just to see the technical stuff involved in the 1910s. In that regard it doesn't disappoint. But the obvious racism, becomes vomit inducing and a pain to sit through!

I actually had the same experience. The first time I seen Casablanca I thought to myself, 'that was it?' I liked it OK, but I guess I was expecting something else or something more. But now that I've seen it a couple more times I can see a lot of depth to the performances, especially Bogart's, and I hadn't seen that before. My review of Casablanca
‘Casablanca’ is great at building up the atmosphere of nostalgia, it’s a postmodern film from before postmodernism began. But I think quite a few people find it underwhelming the first time around. That’s part of the problem: when something is a classic, your expectation builds up from every raving review out there, and in the end, it doesn’t live up to the hype. It’s probably ideal to come into these films knowing nothing, but that’s not possible, is it?

Considering which user it is, not really.

I am not asking you to name drop! But I will leave it there! But now I will probably have to check everybody's favourite list!

‘Casablanca’ is great at building up the atmosphere of nostalgia, it’s a postmodern film from before postmodernism began. But I think quite a few people find it underwhelming the first time around. That’s part of the problem: when something is a classic, your expectation builds up from every raving review out there, and in the end, it doesn’t live up to the hype. It’s probably ideal to come into these films knowing nothing, but that’s not possible, is it?
Casablanca looks nostalgic today because its look has been copied so many times and because it's Time Past now, but when it was made in 1942, it was the present and fictionalized a moment in time that nobody alive then would ever forget. Anybody in my older generation family who had been an adult at that time had some sort of story parallel to that, a moment in time when the world changed and personal life was overtaken by events. Casablanca was light on horrific details because audiences were confronted on a daily basis by reality and wanted some sort of escape that was personal, romantic but not graphic. I can easily imagine a plot line from some peripheral spin-off stories of the refugees who occupy the background in the plot line.